PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

CreepyShutIn
2018-04-27, 08:30 AM
I have a question about the Mastered Talent trait: Can it be taken for the effects of a base sphere? For example, I'm building an Empathic Duelist (which has 3/4 BAB) and want to use the Duelist sphere. The bleed damage scales with BAB. Could I thus apply the trait's "effective" BAB increase to that scaling? I don't think the RAW supports it, but I might be missing some key fact. Here's the trait for reference.

"You have focused on a single combat talent, gaining greater proficiency with it. Select 1 combat talent; you treat your base attack bonus as 1 higher for the purposes of its effects. At 5th level and every 4 levels afterwards, the chosen talent’s base attack bonus is treated as an additional 1 higher, although the talent’s effective base attack bonus cannot be higher than your character level."

NomGarret
2018-04-28, 09:05 AM
Pretty sure that’s exactly what it’s for. Spheres are a type of talent, so yeah.

SangoProduction
2018-04-28, 12:47 PM
Does the Armiger not have any special favored class bonuses?

torrasque666
2018-04-28, 02:43 PM
Does the Armiger not have any special favored class bonuses?
It does. They can be found under the Favored Class Bonuses section in the Additional Options chapter.

SangoProduction
2018-04-28, 02:53 PM
It does. They can be found under the Favored Class Bonuses section in the Additional Options chapter.

Ah. Right. I forgot. Thanks.

Morty
2018-04-28, 06:37 PM
I was trying to create a fairly basic "tough durable warrior" character, using the Sentinel class with the Guardian, Equipment and Brute spheres. Except apparently Brute is an unarmed sphere? Nothing seems to stop me from using it with two-handed weapons, but it's still odd.

stack
2018-04-28, 06:43 PM
I was trying to create a fairly basic "tough durable warrior" character, using the Sentinel class with the Guardian, Equipment and Brute spheres. Except apparently Brute is an unarmed sphere? Nothing seems to stop me from using it with two-handed weapons, but it's still odd.
Having brute boosts unarmed damage, but works with weapons. Think of the unarmed boost as a side bonus, not the main event.

Play4leftovers
2018-04-29, 04:04 AM
Does Blacksmiths Thundering Blow bonus damage overflow stack with Sunder, Greater's damage overflow?
I don't think it should but...

SangoProduction
2018-04-29, 05:07 AM
Does Blacksmiths Thundering Blow bonus damage overflow stack with Sunder, Greater's damage overflow?
I don't think it should but...

It is highly doubtful that was the intent. I don't see anything preventing it from 'stacking' though. Chances of a DM allowing it to 'stack' is low, regardless.

Morty
2018-04-29, 05:10 AM
Having brute boosts unarmed damage, but works with weapons. Think of the unarmed boost as a side bonus, not the main event.

I guess I can work with that. I wanted to make a fairly run off the mill strong warrior in heavy armor who hits things with a two-handed weapon.

The system as a whole seems well put-together, but it feels like it doesn't scale upwards very well, and the designers had an odd idea of what qualifies as "legendary".

Arcueid
2018-04-29, 07:50 AM
Quick question, does anyone know how this should be run.

In the boxing sphere "Raging Bull" says "Whenever you ready a counter punch, you can instead ready a charge," does this mean it is no longer a "counter punch"? I ask as i'm wondering if you can still apply all the normal boxing sphere talents that occur on a counter punch like "Jolt Counter" or if raging bull is only the charge.

I haven't seen any mention of this so i'm curious about it.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-04-29, 04:23 PM
I guess I can work with that. I wanted to make a fairly run off the mill strong warrior in heavy armor who hits things with a two-handed weapon.
Think of it this way: If your warrior is strong, tough, and well-trained then doesn’t it stand to reason they’d be able to throw a decent punch? You’re still no Monk or pro boxer but in a fight with a random tough you have the upper hand.

The system as a whole seems well put-together, but it feels like it doesn't scale upwards very well, and the designers had an odd idea of what qualifies as "legendary".
Unlike its casting-focused counterpart, Spheres of Might uses “Legendary” to denote talents that might clash with certain DM’s expectations of what non-casters can do. It’s recommended that you allow most or all of them if you don’t find them “too anime.”

As for scaling, could you elaborate?

Morty
2018-04-29, 06:16 PM
Unlike its casting-focused counterpart, Spheres of Might uses “Legendary” to denote talents that might clash with certain DM’s expectations of what non-casters can do. It’s recommended that you allow most or all of them if you don’t find them “too anime.”

I guess a lot of them really don't feel like they don't belong in a high-level D&D campaign.

As for scaling, could you elaborate?

Apart from the "legendary" talents, the list remains the same from level 1 to level 20. I get more stuff, but not better stuff. The only thing that really scales are class features... unless I'm playing a Conscript.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-04-30, 02:45 AM
I guess a lot of them really don't feel like they don't belong in a high-level D&D campaign.
Then allow them! I also see no problem with them, but you might be surprised at how many balk at the idea of martials getting nice things.

Apart from the "legendary" talents, the list remains the same from level 1 to level 20. I get more stuff, but not better stuff. The only thing that really scales are class features... unless I'm playing a Conscript.
The stuff itself scales and gets better, rather than forcing you to take the new, better stuff to avoid falling behind. That’s a core design principle behind both Spheres systems.

Scowling Dragon
2018-04-30, 09:38 AM
The design principle is no level gates for anything outside of Legendary and advanced things.

This does mean for instance instead of granting DR 5/- At level 10 or something it instead grants something like DR 2/- and scales with level until its dr 5/- at level 10.

Im not sure how it could be said that Martial stuff is sub-par in comparison to PF regulars when a single Sphere can absorb about 95% of another classes features.

NomGarret
2018-04-30, 02:50 PM

You might find the Berserking sphere a better fit than the Brute sphere, for a few reasons. It focuses more on one big strike with various debuff riders, as opposed to Brute being more about knocking people around the battlefield. It also comes with plenty of toughness-boosting talents.

Now, there’s no reason you can’t take some of both, as you can get complementary scaling effects with very little investment.

Rekmond
2018-05-01, 03:43 PM
So...I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason why a Technician's Independent Inventions with the Robot subtype wouldn't be able to trade their feat progression for Talent Progression.

Since they get feats at the same rate as a PC (every odd HD/level) I don't see why they wouldn't have the option.

Scowling Dragon
2018-05-01, 05:30 PM
So...I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason why a Technician's Independent Inventions with the Robot subtype wouldn't be able to trade their feat progression for Talent Progression.

Since they get feats at the same rate as a PC (every odd HD/level) I don't see why they wouldn't have the option.

Because Companions generally get worse versions of PC Talent progression. So they expend stuff on a 1-1 basis instead of a 1-2 basis.

Rekmond
2018-05-01, 06:28 PM
Because Companions generally get worse versions of PC Talent progression. So they expend stuff on a 1-1 basis instead of a 1-2 basis.

I can see what you mean, especially with the construct having no way to improve itself, it is limited by the Technician's abilities (I wonder if one made with Greater Craftsman would be able to unbind from a Techie in some way, advance themselves given Robots are intelligent)

Though I'm not entirely sure you're correct. The only real example we have for pc talent progression to companion is the Martial Beast template for Animal Companion (unless I missed something somewhere), and it is a Proficient Practitioner without giving up any feats.

Scowling Dragon
2018-05-01, 07:39 PM
Though I'm not entirely sure you're correct. The only real example we have for pc talent progression to companion is the Martial Beast template for Animal Companion (unless I missed something somewhere), and it is a Proficient Practitioner without giving up any feats.

And the summoned companion from Conjuration. Martial Companion for instance, and its interesting that because of the way its designed its also incompatble with the Archetype that grants a martial tradition.

Yes they still about roughly "Only" give up 4-5 things for 7-8 things or so, but thats the point to limit "Conjurables" and "Companions" to a max of about 8 talents so that they don't completly supplement martials.

Tariyan Draegr
2018-05-03, 04:51 AM
Friend just pointed this out so I wanted to ask what prompted the removal of the armorless aegis striker talent. Given that there isn't a scaling dodge bonus like most monk ACs, and the option for heavy and medium armor still exist, wanted to know why the unarmored option was removed.

torrasque666
2018-05-03, 10:32 AM
Friend just pointed this out so I wanted to ask what prompted the removal of the armorless aegis striker talent. Given that there isn't a scaling dodge bonus like most monk ACs, and the option for heavy and medium armor still exist, wanted to know why the unarmored option was removed.

Its.... not?
When wearing light armor or no armor, not carrying a shield, and unencumbered, the striker adds her Constitution bonus (if any) to her AC and her CMD; this bonus
cannot exceed her class level.

I mean its derived from your CON bonus but its limit scales with level. Unless you're referring to something from the playtest, in which case it was probably rolled into the base ability.

Tariyan Draegr
2018-05-03, 12:06 PM
Its.... not?

I mean its derived from your CON bonus but its limit scales with level. Unless you're referring to something from the playtest, in which case it was probably rolled into the base ability.

There used to be an ability called armorless aegis that I can probably go find after work in the first release. It gave a flat +4 bonus to armor class while unarmored. I do see that they replaced it with a way to get unarmored training bypassing the restrictions that usually comes with it I assume. It's not entirely clear if it does

Edit: found the old ability. It was in playtest but it was never rolled into the current version of AC bonus. Will post pics when I get off work if you want to see it. Guess the question now is do AC bonus and unarmored training stack.

Arcueid
2018-05-03, 09:47 PM
There used to be an ability called armorless aegis that I can probably go find after work in the first release. It gave a flat +4 bonus to armor class while unarmored. I do see that they replaced it with a way to get unarmored training bypassing the restrictions that usually comes with it I assume. It's not entirely clear if it does

Edit: found the old ability. It was in playtest but it was never rolled into the current version of AC bonus. Will post pics when I get off work if you want to see it. Guess the question now is do AC bonus and unarmored training stack.

Unarmored training is an armor bonus (unlike the monk AC bonus abilities which are untyped bonuses) hence why it won't stack with bracers of armor (as that specifically also provides an armor bonus rather than a enhancement bonus). So if armorless aegis is a "armor" bonus then no, but if its not specified and its untyped then it should be valid.

Tariyan Draegr
2018-05-04, 04:36 AM
Unarmored training is an armor bonus (unlike the monk AC bonus abilities which are untyped bonuses) hence why it won't stack with bracers of armor (as that specifically also provides an armor bonus rather than a enhancement bonus).

That's the thing that seems off to me. Getting unarmored training is a striker art but it essentially doesn't do anything because if you're going unarmored, it doesn't stack with the AC bonus you get just for being a striker. Feels like something big is missing from it if it's going to be a whole use of a striker art to get a single martial talent that doesn't stack. Oh well, I'm not in a big rush to find out if there's an error with the book or not.

khadgar567
2018-05-04, 05:42 AM
That's the thing that seems off to me. Getting unarmored training is a striker art but it essentially doesn't do anything because if you're going unarmored, it doesn't stack with the AC bonus you get just for being a striker. Feels like something big is missing from it if it's going to be a whole use of a striker art to get a single martial talent that doesn't stack. Oh well, I'm not in a big rush to find out if there's an error with the book or not.
It was error in the publishing time tariyan if we have one more solid pass in the playtest we might find at least another batch of problemed or missing content but nope we must publish the product before the deadline with missing bunch of contend and say we balanced in industrial standart which funnly uses path of war as bench mark to calculate martials. so we miss to more books of contend and have bunch of logical problems in the content like protection sphere and unarmored trainings stacking issiue they say it does not stack but i think small word changes make both of them stack.

Arcueid
2018-05-04, 05:45 AM

I don't see a striker art for this looking at the striker page. I don't see a point to it anyways as unarmored training is more for characters who don't have a AC bonus class feature, but want to get a similar theme (though not as good).....or you're a full caster with somatic casting and you make your first level in a class with a martial tradition (though a 1-2 level dip in hedgewitch would be better then because you can get casting stat to AC and still be allowed to wield a shield either though the rogue talent or the entropic sage archetype, so mithral bucklers are valid)

kkplx
2018-05-04, 09:15 AM
I don't see a striker art for this looking at the striker page.

Page 54, between Vital Tension and Wild Charge:

Unarmored Striker: The striker gains Unarmored Training from the Equipment sphere.

If you don't see it, you have an old book.

Arcueid
2018-05-04, 11:02 AM
Page 54, between Vital Tension and Wild Charge:

Unarmored Striker: The striker gains Unarmored Training from the Equipment sphere.

If you don't see it, you have an old book.

So it is, haven't re-downloaded the PDF in awhile.

torrasque666
2018-05-04, 06:47 PM
But it does stack with the Striker's AC Bonus feature. The AC bonus feature is untyped but doesn't stack with other AC Bonus Class features (like a monk's) But it'll stack with actual Armor bonuses (like from armor, or the Unarmored Training talent)

AlienFromBeyond
2018-05-04, 07:41 PM
it'll stack with actual Armor bonuses (like the Unarmored Training talent)
Methinks you have not actually read the text for that talent.

torrasque666
2018-05-04, 07:46 PM
Methinks you have not actually read the text for that talent.
.... Huh. Devil in the details.

N. Jolly
2018-05-05, 12:26 AM
Quick question, does anyone know how this should be run.

In the boxing sphere "Raging Bull" says "Whenever you ready a counter punch, you can instead ready a charge," does this mean it is no longer a "counter punch"? I ask as i'm wondering if you can still apply all the normal boxing sphere talents that occur on a counter punch like "Jolt Counter" or if raging bull is only the charge.

I haven't seen any mention of this so i'm curious about it.

Writer here, this attack still qualifies as a counter punch. It was intended to help mobility for boxer, which has some slight 'stand and deliver' issues without it. You can still apply any other talent you could normally apply to a counter punch.

Hunter Noventa
2018-05-05, 03:42 PM
In regards to Independent Inventions, several Insights refer to being able to add a subtype to said Inventions, but you don't have to do so, correct? It can just be left as a normal 'Construct' powered by unknown means?

Arcueid
2018-05-05, 09:51 PM
In regards to Independent Inventions, several Insights refer to being able to add a subtype to said Inventions, but you don't have to do so, correct? It can just be left as a normal 'Construct' powered by unknown means?

From what I've seen all the subtype stuff is behind insights meaning if it was required until you get an insight it would be impossible to make an independent invention without one or even at first level. Not to mention it uses wording in all the insights saying that when you're making an invention you "may" add a subtype. So from what i can see it doesn't look required at all and they just exist primarily as buffs (with some small drawbacks or vulnerabilities), mostly because the base invention makes no mention of this.

----

On the same topic of independent inventions does anyone know if something stops someone from having a series of inventions piloting each other? The invention just uses your actions and its a "creature". I ask as the pilot improvement gives creatures the ability to pilot it as long as they're the same size or smaller.
So for example if you're high enough level to have colossal independent inventions and you have 6 inventions it doesn't seem like anything stops you from having A medium technician piloting a colossal invention who it also piloting a colossal invention, who it also piloting....and you see where this is going.

I was just curious as it adds a mechanic where not only do you sort of just gain "layers" of health, and considering a creature piloting something can just chose to not continue piloting it and use their actions for something else (aka shoot outside the invention) you could also have the outer invention just not take its standard, so the invention within could shoot a siege weapon (a funny concept when you have the covered improvement as you're spending move actions to open the outer invention to expose this inner layer of siege weapons)

Its a humorous idea and i was curious if there's anything i'm maybe missing that would actually stop someone from doing this.

Scowling Dragon
2018-05-06, 08:09 AM
Its a humorous idea and i was curious if there's anything i'm maybe missing that would actually stop someone from doing this.

Just inefficiency and general needless expense. A Robot Matroyshka is a fun idea though.

Arcueid
2018-05-06, 02:25 PM
Just inefficiency and general needless expense. A Robot Matroyshka is a fun idea though.

Yeah the main benefit i was seeing was just health, and variation on improvements, suit pilot would be the best archetype for this to make use of those extra improvements.

For example:
Outermost(now referred to as mech 1, with mech 2 being the next one within and so on) could have flight improvements and basic hardness improvements.
Next 4 could be just siege weapons. It takes 4 standards to reload a colossal cannon. With an auto reloader and not really spending anything more than the free action each round on it you could have this sort of setup.
Round 1, Mech 2 fires
Round 2, Mech 3 fires, mech 2 reloads (1/4)
Round 3, Mech 4 fires, mech 2&3 reload (2/4 and 1/4)
Round 4, Mech 5 fires, Mech 2,3&4 reload (3/4, 2/4, 1/4)
Round 5, Mech 2 finishes reloading and fires again
(probably would make the innermost mech you pilot have flight also, because if something gets through 5 layers of mechs i think its time to run)

Writer here, this attack still qualifies as a counter punch. It was intended to help mobility for boxer, which has some slight 'stand and deliver' issues without it. You can still apply any other talent you could normally apply to a counter punch.

Also just noticed this. Thanks for the response. Just a followup, do you still get the basic damage booster that the counter punch gets? (+2 dmg +2 more for each 4 BAB).

Kaouse
2018-05-08, 05:37 PM
I believe I asked a question a while back about Zodiac Tattoo allowing you to apply armor special abilities that may increase your enhancement bonus to armor, increasing the bonus you get from "Unarmored Training."

I believe the answer was that the enhancement bonus to Unarmored Training would stack. Now, I want to know if Automatic Bonus Progression would allow a Sphere user to apply their "Armor Attunement" (which also gives an enhancement bonus to armor), to the armor bonus they gain from "Unarmored Training."

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-08, 06:20 PM
I believe I asked a question a while back about Zodiac Tattoo allowing you to apply armor special abilities that may increase your enhancement bonus to armor, increasing the bonus you get from "Unarmored Training."

I believe the answer was that the enhancement bonus to Unarmored Training would stack. Now, I want to know if Automatic Bonus Progression would allow a Sphere user to apply their "Armor Attunement" (which also gives an enhancement bonus to armor), to the armor bonus they gain from "Unarmored Training."

Not official, but as a DM I read ABP’s attunement as requiring something that is worn (EG clothing) to attune to

kkplx
2018-05-09, 01:16 PM
A player has both Crushing Thrower and the Impalement ability.
He impales an enemy with a thrown weapon.

By the wording of impale, "This impalement may be broken when you lose control of the weapon used for the attack" immediately takes hold.
a) does the enemy immediately take the bleed damage for losing the impaled condition?
b) if not, what negatives still apply and which don't?
c) if a was a no, can the affected creature get rid of the impaling weapon without taking bleed damage?

kkplx
2018-05-09, 01:22 PM
Does a ranged attack using Crushing Thrower still provoke attacks of opportunities?

N. Jolly
2018-05-09, 04:23 PM
A player has both Crushing Thrower and the Impalement ability.
He impales an enemy with a thrown weapon.

By the wording of impale, "This impalement may be broken when you lose control of the weapon used for the attack" immediately takes hold.
a) does the enemy immediately take the bleed damage for losing the impaled condition?
b) if not, what negatives still apply and which don't?
c) if a was a no, can the affected creature get rid of the impaling weapon without taking bleed damage?

Does a ranged attack using Crushing Thrower still provoke attacks of opportunities?

A) The bleed damage was intended only to be suffered once the impaling weapon had been removed, so they do not suffer the bleed until the weapon is removed
B) Their movement speed is still reduced by 1/2, as listed in the description of being impaled by an uncontrolled weapon
C) Removing the weapon still causes the listed bleed damage
D) Yes, nothing in the ability states that it negates the AoO provoked.

kkplx
2018-05-09, 04:38 PM
D) the logic goes:
- making a ranged attack provokes
- making a melee attack does not
- the talent allows you to "choose to treat your ranged attacks with thrown weapons as melee attacks"
- therefore when treating them as melee attacks, you don't provoke AoOs

The issue is that the talent is not written as a closed list by stating "for the purposes of".

I'm the DM in this case and will rule it as outlined initially, having it provoke, but at best the talent can be read either way - RAW it's probably in favor of not provoking

Kaouse
2018-05-09, 05:18 PM
Not official, but as a DM I read ABP’s attunement as requiring something that is worn (EG clothing) to attune to

Well, Unarmored Training provides an armor bonus, and armor attunement applies an enhancement to an armor bonus. The enhancement bonus to armor becomes effectively an armor bonus, which means that the two don't stack at all, and armor attunement is completely 100% redundant then, correct?

digiman619
2018-05-09, 05:34 PM
Seeing as both this and the AMA are pushing 40+ pages, may I suggest unifying them when one of them hits 50?

stack
2018-05-09, 05:57 PM
Seeing as both this and the AMA are pushing 40+ pages, may I suggest unifying them when one of them hits 50?

Makes sense to me.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-09, 07:10 PM
Well, Unarmored Training provides an armor bonus, and armor attunement applies an enhancement to an armor bonus. The enhancement bonus to armor becomes effectively an armor bonus, which means that the two don't stack at all, and armor attunement is completely 100% redundant then, correct?

No, because you can wear clothes while using Unarmored Training just fine, and clothes are explicitly called out as the exception in Armor Attunement

Zsaber0
2018-05-10, 12:16 AM
Is the Street Fighter Monk archetype intended to work for both the base Monk and the Unchained Monk, or just the base Monk?

EldritchWeaver
2018-05-11, 04:57 AM

No, because you can wear clothes while using Unarmored Training just fine, and clothes are explicitly called out as the exception in Armor Attunement

Let's consider it from this point of view: ABP stacks with Monk's AC bonus. Unarmored Training is effectively replacing Monk's AC Bonus. So ABP should stack with it. If anyone disagrees by RAW, then the counterargument is that the ABP wasn't created with UT in mind. And SoM wasn't written with ABP in mind, so there isn't an explicit ruling for this.

Arcueid
2018-05-11, 06:08 AM
Let's consider it from this point of view: ABP stacks with Monk's AC bonus. Unarmored Training is effectively replacing Monk's AC Bonus. So ABP should stack with it. If anyone disagrees by RAW, then the counterargument is that the ABP wasn't created with UT in mind. And SoM wasn't written with ABP in mind, so there isn't an explicit ruling for this.

Primary reason it doesn't work is because UT was specifically designed to not work with things like bracers of armor. Bracers of armor (and the ABP clothing) both are just armor bonuses ensuring they can't stack. Unarmored training's full scaling is equivalent to having a +4 modifier in the attribute an AC bonus class feature would provide and a +5 bracers of armor (culminating at the +9 the ability caps at).
This is why we had to get that errata adding the tattoos for getting armor special abilities as many people felt it somewhat redundant to have a talent that was to specifically replace bracers of armor only to have to buy bracers of armor for the special abilities.

So ABP allowed clothing as it was an alternative for monks/casters to get that +5 from bracers of armor; and UT was intentionally designed to not work with bracers of armor.

kkplx
2018-05-12, 07:10 PM
Let's assume I have blooded strike at 5bab, giving +2 bleed damage on attack actions, as well as debilitating injuries
I crit an enemy with a spear, dealing 3x damage and therefore 6 bleed damage.
Does the enemy suffer -2 or -6 to attack rolls?

Sho
2018-05-13, 07:53 PM
This has been a contention in a chat channel between associates.

"Athletics Sphere: Reactive Motion"
Q: Does it negate the first attack made against the practitioner and then grant the Dodge bonus to Armor Class and Reflex Saves? Or is the bonus simply used against the offending attack? This question is based on previous experience with Readied Actions and how moving out the space/square that the attacking opponent attacks can possibly remove the threat of the attack in previous circumstances.

Zsaber0
2018-05-14, 07:28 AM
Does the extra attack granted with the Monk Weapon Training discipline talent work/stack with the Street fighters Flurry Strikes?

stack
2018-05-14, 08:00 AM
This has been a contention in a chat channel between associates.

"Athletics Sphere: Reactive Motion"
Q: Does it negate the first attack made against the practitioner and then grant the Dodge bonus to Armor Class and Reflex Saves? Or is the bonus simply used against the offending attack? This question is based on previous experience with Readied Actions and how moving out the space/square that the attacking opponent attacks can possibly remove the threat of the attack in previous circumstances.

It applies to the triggering attack, same way the immediate action talent in the Warp sphere does.

kkplx
2018-05-14, 11:22 AM
@stack/devs - would it be possible to adress all questions since the last post with a quick acknowledgement in the newest post, either providing a clarification, a suggestion or passing it on to a different dev member?

As it is, for me at least it's impossible to judge whether a question was too specific, too "out there" or a general flaw/undefined aspect with the feature. This goes for the SOP Q&A as well.
With a quick mention, regardless of the answer, at least the questioner knows where they stand with the issue.
Ofc I'm in no position to make demands, merely suggestions, but it would greatly improve the questioning process.

For an example, see the first SOP Q&A thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21517197&postcount=1501)

of course if there's a different place one should address these questions/clarifications, I'd be happy to do it there instead.

Arcueid
2018-05-14, 03:16 PM
Does the extra attack granted with the Monk Weapon Training discipline talent work/stack with the Street fighters Flurry Strikes?

Yes

Once you meet the prerequisites of having brawler's flurry/flurry of blows and be using monk weapons(as the bonus attack from monk weapon training can't be just an unarmed strike) then yes they should stack. They're both free actions when you make an attack action with an unarmed strike or monk weapon and the only limiter with one is what weapon type you make the attack with, and the other isn't allowed to be used with the dual wielding sphere.

I will note: Flurry of strikes is not flurry of blows so you will need to find something that grants flurry of blows or brawler's flurry as street fighter trades that away.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-14, 05:14 PM
Yes

Once you meet the prerequisites of having brawler's flurry/flurry of blows and be using monk weapons(as the bonus attack from monk weapon training can't be just an unarmed strike) then yes they should stack. They're both free actions when you make an attack action with an unarmed strike or monk weapon and the only limiter with one is what weapon type you make the attack with, and the other isn't allowed to be used with the dual wielding sphere.

I will note: Flurry of strikes is not flurry of blows so you will need to find something that grants flurry of blows or brawler's flurry as street fighter trades that away.

I believe they were talking about Flurry Strikes and not Flurry of Blows

Arcueid
2018-05-15, 07:28 AM
I believe they were talking about Flurry Strikes and not Flurry of Blows

I said that. They were asking if monk weapon training stacked with flurry strikes, which it does. I was just also pointing out monk weapon training specifically requires flurry of blows for its effect to go off as street fighter isn't going to be giving you that class feature. So to use the 2 together you need monk weapon training, street fighter's flurry strikes, and then a source of flurry of blows/brawler's flurry (to make monk weapon training happen).

"If you have this talent and either the brawler’s flurry or flurry of blows class feature, you may make one additional attack with a weapon in this group as a free action whenever you make an attack action with a weapon from this group or an unarmed strike"

Ualaa
2018-05-16, 07:45 AM
@stack/devs - would it be possible to adress all questions since the last post with a quick acknowledgement in the newest post, either providing a clarification, a suggestion or passing it on to a different dev member?

Non-developers answer questions too.

It's nice to have a developer, or the writer of a specific whatever, chime in when there is ambiguity as to how something was intended to work.

NomGarret
2018-05-16, 08:14 AM
Let's assume I have blooded strike at 5bab, giving +2 bleed damage on attack actions, as well as debilitating injuries

Good question. I would say -6. I can't find anything indicating the bleed damage isn't multiplied on a crit. Debilitating injuries is pretty clear that it equals the bleed damage granted by blooded strike.

kkplx
2018-05-16, 04:29 PM
What slots does a Technician's Independent Invention have? Specifically the Suit version?

Arcueid
2018-05-17, 09:03 AM
What slots does a Technician's Independent Invention have? Specifically the Suit version?

I assume you mean item slots independent invention says "They possess only a Strength and Dexterity score, with no skill points or feats or magic item slots." Suit improvement makes no mention of it so its to be assumed this doesn't change.

And for note the electric insight robot type for inventions seems to not change it either.
"Intelligent: Robots are intelligent, and thus have skills and feats as appropriate for their Hit Dice. Unless otherwise indicated for a specific robot, all robots have Intelligence scores of 10. The following are class skills for robots: Climb, Disable Device, Fly, Knowledge (all), Linguistics, Perception, and Sense Motive. independent inventions can be made Intelligent. Note: When piloting an independent invention with its own feats, the pilot may choose on any given round to use his own feats or the construct’s, but not both."

So robots gain an intelligence stat, feats, and skill ranks; but seem to still leave it without magic item slots.

So it seems generally everything you want to buff on the invention will come down to simply how many improvements you put on it (or subtypes as some buff dex/str). So magic items will generally come down to what your character is wearing and generally would only help if the item assists in mental stats or anything that isn't something the robot itself is doing (like goggles for darkvision would benefit you in the seat because you're seeing/aiming ect, but teleportation boots would only affect the technician because that can only affect the wearer so it would just teleport you out of the seat.).

Galacktic
2018-05-20, 06:44 PM
So, I'm playing a Sage and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way their casting modifier, practitioner modifier, and class feature scaling from Wisdom to strength or con. Any ideas on how it may be possible? I'm aware of draining casting, but that's only one of the three.

AlienFromBeyond
2018-05-20, 07:10 PM
A 1 level dip into Striker will give you Con practitioner modifier. Nothing to be done for the class features, they're hardlocked into Wisdom. You're trying to force a round peg into a square hole trying to do this with Sage.

Galacktic
2018-05-20, 11:46 PM
A 1 level dip into Striker will give you Con practitioner modifier. Nothing to be done for the class features, they're hardlocked into Wisdom. You're trying to force a round peg into a square hole trying to do this with Sage.

That's what I figured. I'm trying to make a classic Muscle Wizard with it and it gets high casting, effectively, so I wanted to see if I could make things work with it that way. Thanks though.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-05-21, 01:38 AM
A muscle wizard having high Str, Con, and Wis makes sense to me tbh

kkplx
2018-05-21, 07:56 AM

reposting.

ElFi
2018-05-24, 08:20 PM
So, I'm playing a Sage and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way their casting modifier, practitioner modifier, and class feature scaling from Wisdom to strength or con. Any ideas on how it may be possible? I'm aware of draining casting, but that's only one of the three.

It's possible to use the Draining Casting/Fortified Casting combination to make Con your casting modifier, since the Sage's practitioner and casting modifiers aren't explicitly tied together like other Champion classes, and Style Talents note that you can take a casting tradition with GM permission. It's somewhat ambiguous as to whether Sages are actually true casters or just "technically casters", though, so again, check with your GM. Keep in mind that using that combo means all of your esoteries and powers that draw ki points will incur Draining Casting's drawback, though, so be careful there if you opt to go down that route. Your esoteries/AC bonus/ki pool/whatever will still be Wisdom-locked no matter what you do, aside.

Currently there's no way to change your practitioner modifier like you can do with casting modifiers and Unorthodox Casting. Drop Dead Studios might change that in a future release, I dunno. It might be exploitable given how much better Con/Int are most of the time compared to Wis/Cha.

Arcueid
2018-05-26, 08:58 PM
So someone posted this and i wanted to clarify/get clarification on this.

Q 403: Is there any way to apply an enhancement bonus to the Sage's chi gong (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/sage#toc3) attack? It kind of gets murdered by DR otherwise.

No, though since it can be applied as a rider on unarmed strikes or natural attacks, scales up to 10d6, and is normally a touch attack when not used as a rider its damage curve is pretty solid.

Q 404: Chi gong counts as a light weapon, which means it's eligible for use with the energy blade (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/destruction#toc25) talent; is that intentional?

Yes, though there has since been some talk of errata that might affect this in the future. Currently that is a perfectly viable option.

Regarding the Sage again, can their Chi Gong dice get multiplied on a crit? They're not precision damage - they're piercing - so I could see arguments either way.
Only flat non precision damage, base weapon damage, and damage that calls itself an exception to the previous gets multiplied on a crit.

So it would seem that the Chi Gong gets multiplied, only when as its own strike. Not when adding it to your unarmed damage or similar.

So i these were the two sets of posts. Nothing does state how this works, though if we work as normal for spells it would be 20x2 crit. Though at least from the one saying it can't be enhanced its not weapon damage at least meaning it does follow rules as normal for touch attacks.

I also wonder why its classified as a "light weapon" if its by default touch attack. As by what I had understood by the rules touch attacks were classified as light weapons (otherwise casters couldn't weapon finesse them.)

Blackfoxx
2018-06-03, 11:38 AM
Does anybody have the playtest files for the early version of the Sage class? The one with no chi pool from before it was moved over to CoS.
Thanks

Xararion
2018-06-04, 11:24 PM
I was honestly at a bit of a loss regarding which particular thread this one goes in, the might or power questions. Posted it here in the end since it was more about combat spheres.

The Prodigy has two imbue abilities that specify an attack action as their trigger (destructive edge and vampiric blade). Both of these are what helps you bolster up your damage to be competitive on the rounds you're not using finishers, alongside inspired sequence. However my question here is, when you're using dual wielding or barrage spheres, do you get the damage bonus from these imbue abilities to all of your attacks, or just the 'primary' one that is rolled first.

For vampiric blade especially, having the ability to trigger the damage twice (or at least more reliably) would be great boon since half your level in temp hp that only lasts few rounds at most is not the most amazing benefit.

This is mostly coming from me thinking whether or not prodigy has reason to go for smaller weapons (thrown weapons in particular, also dual wielding) as opposed to easy to build for twohanded weapons, especially since prodigy is particularly good at using heavy weapons with larger crit multiplier due to executioner finisher.

stack
2018-06-05, 07:33 AM
I was honestly at a bit of a loss regarding which particular thread this one goes in, the might or power questions. Posted it here in the end since it was more about combat spheres.

The Prodigy has two imbue abilities that specify an attack action as their trigger (destructive edge and vampiric blade). Both of these are what helps you bolster up your damage to be competitive on the rounds you're not using finishers, alongside inspired sequence. However my question here is, when you're using dual wielding or barrage spheres, do you get the damage bonus from these imbue abilities to all of your attacks, or just the 'primary' one that is rolled first.

For vampiric blade especially, having the ability to trigger the damage twice (or at least more reliably) would be great boon since half your level in temp hp that only lasts few rounds at most is not the most amazing benefit.

This is mostly coming from me thinking whether or not prodigy has reason to go for smaller weapons (thrown weapons in particular, also dual wielding) as opposed to easy to build for twohanded weapons, especially since prodigy is particularly good at using heavy weapons with larger crit multiplier due to executioner finisher.

Dual wielding sphere specifies that only the initial main hand attack counts as an attack action. Barrages ought to have had the same language.

THP that you pick up in a fight really only needs to last until you get hit; more than a few rounds duration is wasted unless it is long enough to last until the next fight, which isn't how sequence is supposed to work.

Xararion
2018-06-05, 07:23 PM
Hmm, yeah, that was how I figured it was going to work. Not going to say I'm not little bit disappointed, but it's ultimately more logical for it to work like that, even if it leaves some weapons as fairly weak options. I suppose inspired sequence helps enough to consider using throwing weapons or light weapons, but then you're holding your finisher to keep your damage on par. Either way, thanks for clarifying it.

But then. Sometimes style trumps efficiency.. at least if group isn't made of munchkins, heh.

As for the THP, I agree with you, even if the amount you gain from vampiric blade is pretty low.

Arcueid
2018-06-06, 04:32 AM
I have a question.

Can you use the Dual Wielding sphere with unarmed strikes?

Dual Attack says:

Whenever you make an attack action with a light or one-handed weapon, you can make an additional attack with a light or one-handed weapon held in your off-hand, though both attacks take a -2 penalty on their attack rolls when doing so; only your initial main hand attack qualifies as an attack action, and the additional attack cannot be made with the same weapon as your initial main hand attack. Your off-hand attack only applies 1/2 your Strength modifier, and if your off-hand attack is made with anything other than a light weapon, both attacks take an additional -2 penalty. Associated Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting

Which so far we're good for. Unarmed strikes are light, and base pathfinder lets you do Main/Off attacks with them. Though Monks state no attack is "off hand" and always get full damage, though that raises questions.

The rules get more muddy when you look at the rules for Main Hand / Off-Hand in SoM

The main hand and off-hand designations apply specifically when using two weapons or a double weapon to gain more attacks than that action would normally grant. You must designate one weapon as your main hand weapon when making an attack; all other manufactured weapons are treated as off-hand weapons and only add half your Strength modifier to damage on attacks.

The main hand has no specification, but then says "all other manufactured weapons are treated as off-hand weapons" which only monks get to count unarmed strikes as manufactured.

Now my assumption here is this is supposed to be similar to the monk one, which is also kinda unclear; with the idea being that unarmed strikes/natural weapons are never subject to the "off-hand" strength penalty. But as its worded it suggests unarmed and natural weapons are always invalid to be off-hand for talents.

N. Jolly
2018-06-06, 01:27 PM
I have a question.

Can you use the Dual Wielding sphere with unarmed strikes?

Dual Attack says:

Whenever you make an attack action with a light or one-handed weapon, you can make an additional attack with a light or one-handed weapon held in your off-hand, though both attacks take a -2 penalty on their attack rolls when doing so; only your initial main hand attack qualifies as an attack action, and the additional attack cannot be made with the same weapon as your initial main hand attack. Your off-hand attack only applies 1/2 your Strength modifier, and if your off-hand attack is made with anything other than a light weapon, both attacks take an additional -2 penalty. Associated Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting

Which so far we're good for. Unarmed strikes are light, and base pathfinder lets you do Main/Off attacks with them. Though Monks state no attack is "off hand" and always get full damage, though that raises questions.

The rules get more muddy when you look at the rules for Main Hand / Off-Hand in SoM

The main hand and off-hand designations apply specifically when using two weapons or a double weapon to gain more attacks than that action would normally grant. You must designate one weapon as your main hand weapon when making an attack; all other manufactured weapons are treated as off-hand weapons and only add half your Strength modifier to damage on attacks.

The main hand has no specification, but then says "all other manufactured weapons are treated as off-hand weapons" which only monks get to count unarmed strikes as manufactured.

Now my assumption here is this is supposed to be similar to the monk one, which is also kinda unclear; with the idea being that unarmed strikes/natural weapons are never subject to the "off-hand" strength penalty. But as its worded it suggests unarmed and natural weapons are always invalid to be off-hand for talents.

Dual wielding sphere is intended to be able to be used with unarmed strikes, yes. Same with natural weapons.

Arcueid
2018-06-07, 09:53 PM
Dual wielding sphere is intended to be able to be used with unarmed strikes, yes. Same with natural weapons.

Thanks, its worded so strangely in that first section I was somewhat confused.

decamonos
2018-06-08, 10:34 PM
Is the Scholar Knack "Trick Arrows" limited to be used with only bolts or arrows, or could it be used with any ranged weapon? The weirdest case being something like the blaster armorist.

Sho
2018-06-10, 02:55 PM
Q. If the character has Destruction Sphere (Energy Blade) and the Spell Attack [Champion] feat, does the Energy Blade attack provoke an attack of opportunity?

Arcueid
2018-06-12, 07:53 AM
Q. If the character has Destruction Sphere (Energy Blade) and the Spell Attack [Champion] feat, does the Energy Blade attack provoke an attack of opportunity?

Spell attack doesn't specify that it overwrites the normal rules for energy blade just that the attack that accompanies it can be counted as the attack action; but regardless it still says you're casting the spell as a standard action.

As a result unless you have a class feature giving you the ability to ignore it (like entropic sage hedgewitch with unarmed strike/monk weapons) or the melee blaster feat, otherwise you'll have to make concentration checks to cast defensively as normal.

Sho
2018-06-13, 07:45 AM
Spell attack doesn't specify that it overwrites the normal rules for energy blade just that the attack that accompanies it can be counted as the attack action; but regardless it still says you're casting the spell as a standard action.

As a result unless you have a class feature giving you the ability to ignore it (like entropic sage hedgewitch with unarmed strike/monk weapons) or the melee blaster feat, otherwise you'll have to make concentration checks to cast defensively as normal.
Oh, thanks. Getting Energy Blade working without a hassle was getting to me, and I glossed over the Melee Blaster feat.

Here is another question.

Q. If a character is wearing armor and uses the Hybrid Transformation feat, do they lose their armor bonus to Armor Class? The original effect concerning Alteration states that armor melds with the transformation.

Arcueid
2018-06-13, 10:05 AM
Oh, thanks. Getting Energy Blade working without a hassle was getting to me, and I glossed over the Melee Blaster feat.

Here is another question.

Q. If a character is wearing armor and uses the Hybrid Transformation feat, do they lose their armor bonus to Armor Class? The original effect concerning Alteration states that armor melds with the transformation.

Yes because its still the same alteration sphere polymoph effect. That said you have options.

1. If the transformation is humanoid enough you should be able to just take off your armor and put it back on after transforming. The general benefit of transformation is it lasts forever so it makes it easier for having armor. (assuming you're still 2 arms, 2 legs, and a head. If you have hybrid with avian for wings on top of your normal humanoid form you might be able to still do it with wings, but some DMs might say the armor needs to be custom).

2. If you're not humanoid then you'll need to get some special made armor for that form but once transformed you should be able to just have it equipped to you then (similar to part 1 but requiring different armor)

3. If you're wanting to only transform in certain situations for flavor reasons, or don't want to carry around a special set of armor, then the "wild" property is your best bet. This is kind of the worst option as it is a +3 enhancement meaning its gonna be at least 16k gold to get a +1 suit with it.

Wild is meant for players using the actual alteration sphere where duration isn't reasonable enough to get in/out of armor, but considering this is in the SoM thread and not the SoP i'm going to assume you're not a caster/shifter to transform.

As a small FYI spheres alters the wording slightly on it.

Armor with this special ability usually appears to be made from magically hardened animal pelt. The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor or shield bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in an alternate form, such as those granted by the Alteration sphere. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is transformed, the armor cannot be seen.

Its one of the great annoyances of polymorph effects, which is why alteration has "blank form" for early levels, and transformation to just have it never end.

Skaia
2018-06-13, 05:52 PM
Don't know if this has been asked before but in regards to the Punishment Advanced Talent in the Guardian Sphere, it states as follows:

When you deal damage to a creature while you have damage in your delayed damage pool, you may spend an immediate action to expend your martial focus and deal damage equal to your delayed damage pool to the target creature. If you possess the Cold Iron Call or Durable talents, you may also inflict any effects you are postponing with those abilities. If the effect allowed a save, the target may make a save immediately at the original DC.

A successful Fortitude save reduces the amount of damage transferred by half and negates the transfer of any effects.

The parts I bolded kind of confused me, since I'm not sure if the target just takes the damage and effects (inflict) and then the user of this talent takes the damage and statuses on their next turn

or if they transfer the statuses and damage onto the target and don't take any of it when they normally would.

Tariyan Draegr
2018-06-14, 08:31 AM
Given how you aren't allowed to take the martial study scholar lnack, does that mean if I take it for the unarmed spheres, I can use my scholar level to determine attack bonus for unarmed strikes?

Sho
2018-06-19, 09:41 AM
Q. How does Spell Attack and Destruction Sphere (Energy Blade) interact with Dual Wielding Sphere (Perfect Set-Up)?

All Energy Blade requires is that the attack hits, but Perfect Set-Up states that the first attack deals only the weapon's base damage dice. In tandem, assuming that the target is already flanked by the practitioner, how does sneak attack dice interact with this combat talent?

Arcueid
2018-06-20, 08:29 AM
Q. How does Spell Attack and Destruction Sphere (Energy Blade) interact with Dual Wielding Sphere (Perfect Set-Up)?

All Energy Blade requires is that the attack hits, but Perfect Set-Up states that the first attack deals only the weapon's base damage dice. In tandem, assuming that the target is already flanked by the practitioner, how does sneak attack dice interact with this combat talent?

This one needs some clarification but RAW one can assume "only the weapon’s damage die" is a hard limiter allowing no other modifications to damage occur.
If an effect occured separate from the weapon and was simply triggered on a hit maybe, but at least in the case of "additional damage" or modifiers to the weapon's damage won't occur.

As such as destructive blast, power attack, sneak attack, weapon enchantments, and likely even vital strike will leave the main hand attack unaffected.

I could be wrong of course, but the only other interpretation would be that it only removes stat modifiers from the damage roll (aka instead of d6+str its just d6), but everything else stays. This seems a little less like the intent/reasonable as its very easy to play a build with little stat modifier influence (like a dex twf character with finesse fighting taken 2x), which considering the amount of sources of additional damage one could find losing even +6 worth of str modifier is nothing compared to hitting the easiest to hit defense and effectively gaining auto-hit damage.

Adam Meyers
2018-06-21, 03:29 PM
The new Drop Dead Studios AMA thread has opened, and I would like to direct questions that have been posted here to there:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561876-Drop-Dead-Studios-Ask-Me-Anything-3&highlight=spheres+of+might

If you have a question on here that still hasn't been answered, could I ask you to repost it there? I would like to consolidate all discussion for everyone's ease of use.