PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Shambling Rotter [3.5 Monster][Undead]

gooddragon1
2017-03-31, 08:13 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Almarck
2017-03-31, 08:24 PM
Ew. Nasty. And rotten. Lovely.

Just as an "obvious rule patch" though, can you make it so that corpses can be subject to the corruption in someway?

gooddragon1
2017-03-31, 08:29 PM
Ew. Nasty. And rotten. Lovely.

Just as an "obvious rule patch" though, can you make it so that corpses can be subject to the corruption in someway?

Now added as quoted below.

Corpses of eligible creatures within the radius of the rotting miasma for 1 hour per point of constitution they had when alive become shambling rotters as well.

EDIT: Made one more adjustment to speed up the process if they were damaged by the rotting miasma ability or shambling rot ability before dying.

I also have that editing flaw to an extent.

Kaskus
2017-03-31, 10:26 PM
You mention the example is a human commoner. I take it then, this is meant to be a template as well?

How are new HD calculated? Base creature + 4? Double Base Creature +3? Quadruple Base Creature +1? Quintuple Base Creature?

Does it retain specialized movement speeds?

Natural armor progression?

I assume it retains attacks in the same way as a zombie but gains a bite instead of a slam?

How is the bite damage calculated?

Do they retain any special qualities or attacks?

Stat mods based on HD? Straight addition? Based on size?

How are they created aside from other rotters?
What base creatures can be turned into them (same as zombie?)

I also noticed its environment is listed as Underground. Would you mind expanding on that?

Is there a reason behind the saves being strength based besides that being their best stat?

Sorry to hammer so many questions at once!

gooddragon1
2017-04-01, 09:02 AM
You mention the example is a human commoner. I take it then, this is meant to be a template as well?

How are new HD calculated? Base creature + 4? Double Base Creature +3? Quadruple Base Creature +1? Quintuple Base Creature?

Does it retain specialized movement speeds?

Natural armor progression?

I assume it retains attacks in the same way as a zombie but gains a bite instead of a slam?

How is the bite damage calculated?

Do they retain any special qualities or attacks?

Stat mods based on HD? Straight addition? Based on size?

How are they created aside from other rotters?
What base creatures can be turned into them (same as zombie?)

I also noticed its environment is listed as Underground. Would you mind expanding on that?

Is there a reason behind the saves being strength based besides that being their best stat?

Sorry to hammer so many questions at once!

Most of this is now answered in the template creation section added to the first post. Reason for underground is that zombies had that as their listed environment. Changing to any. Reason for saves is exactly as you stated.

Honestly, I am not sure how to CR these things. I just make stuff...

Kaskus
2017-04-01, 09:57 AM
Thank you for the creation clarification. The only other thing I might change would be to give it a minimum CR 3 only because ability score damage is hard to deal with before lesser restoration enters the picture.

gooddragon1
2017-04-01, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the creation clarification. The only other thing I might change would be to give it a minimum CR 3 only because ability score damage is hard to deal with before lesser restoration enters the picture.

Added. I'm unsure about higher CRs. They're dangerous if they get close, but they're slow and unintelligent. It would depend on the circumstances in which they are encountered.