PDA

View Full Version : Help with background for Drow Swashbuckler/Deepstalker

Matwal1
2017-03-31, 09:53 PM
I am going to do a campaign where I'll be playing a Swashbuckler/Deepstalker from the Underdark. I had a couple of ideas but idk yet so thought I'd ask for advice or help.

Some ideas I was going with was I was a lesser house that was charged with scouting above and looking for places to hit but enjoyed the freedom of not being under the matriarch and started making a living out there and going to the Underdark to every now and then to trade and feed information to informants.

Or I'm part of a family that secretly worships Eilistraee and is trying to make ties with people above to get ready to start a settlement and slowly take out followers of Lolth.

Or my 3rd option is part of a group of mostly Male Drow some followers of Vhaeraun others just wanting to rise in the Drow society but can't because they are male. I'm sent out to make relations and find ways to better the group with allies, treasure, and places to set up. I'm leaning toward this last one but not sure yet. Any ideas are appreciated!

Vitruviansquid
2017-03-31, 11:10 PM
Once I have my basic concept for a character, I like to keep extraneous elements as few as possible.

I would go with the first idea because it seems the least outlandish and "extra" of the three.

Matwal1
2017-03-31, 11:24 PM
I forgot to add I also was going for a neutral alignment of some sort. One that does what he wants

Herobizkit
2017-04-01, 06:16 PM
Of the three options, and given your neutral "do what you want" attitude, I'd likely be a supporter of the Drow Male's Movement and back Vhaeraun's flock.

Eilistraee wants all Drow to get along, both with each other and with the surface races. Probably doesn't suit your specific goals, but they could well be used to further you own ends.

Thirdly, no reason you can't make your own coin by being a scout for a House. In fact, it might be profitable to have your own "side hustle" along with the expected duties of your station.

Is the campaign going to be primarily Underdark or above ground? That may sway your answer.

Pauly
2017-04-01, 08:54 PM
Rafael Sabatini wrote the book on swashbuckling. Try reading a few of his novels. Captain Blood and Scaramouche are probably his most famous.
Alexander Dumas also has 4 (or 5 if you includ rochefort) great swashbucklers with full backgrounds.

Āmesang
2017-04-03, 08:52 AM
I forgot to add I also was going for a neutral alignment of some sort. One that does what he wants
Oh, so chaotic evil! :smallamused: I kid, I kid.

I'm not familiar with all of the details of Underdark politics, but (assuming FORGOTTEN REALMS®) doesn't Jarlaxle Baenre have a mercenary company of sorts?