PDA

View Full Version : first char sheet Help (monk lvl 3)

Vinc
2017-04-01, 11:39 AM
Hi guys!

I´m just starting in dnd 5e and I´m going to play my first PbP game soon.

we are going to start at lvl 3 so after rolling in the post I managed to create and level up one monk.

Could you please guys help me with the sheet? Probably I have something wrong.. It´s not clear for me the weapon damage

My rolls

(4d6b3)[7]
(4d6b3)[18]
(4d6b3)[14]
(4d6b3)[4]
(4d6b3)[16]
(4d6b3)[9]

monk 3: myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1161959

Specter
2017-04-01, 11:57 AM
Other than not being proficient in Perception (which all elves are), I think you're all set.

karfa117
2017-04-01, 12:15 PM
Looking over it most of it seems good, but there are a couple of things that might be wrong (or I could be being dumb)
1) Brum's got a speed of 55, which seems pretty high. Wood elf starts with base of 35, plus the 10 extra from being a monk which only comes to 45. Not sure where the extra 10 is coming from.
2) For your attack rolls you've got the right modifiers, but the damage rolls are off. With the shortsword the damage is 1d6+the modifier you used for the attack, in this case DEX. So for all your monk weapons, unarmed strikes or finesses weapons you can add 5 to the damage, instead of the 3 you're adding at the moment.

Other than that I think it all looks good

jaappleton
2017-04-01, 12:18 PM
Looking over it most of it seems good, but there are a couple of things that might be wrong (or I could be being dumb)
1) Brum's got a speed of 55, which seems pretty high. Wood elf starts with base of 35, plus the 10 extra from being a monk which only comes to 45. Not sure where the extra 10 is coming from.
2) For your attack rolls you've got the right modifiers, but the damage rolls are off. With the shortsword the damage is 1d6+the modifier you used for the attack, in this case DEX. So for all your monk weapons, unarmed strikes or finesses weapons you can add 5 to the damage, instead of the 3 you're adding at the moment.

Other than that I think it all looks good

The only thing I know that could add another 10 would be the Mobile feat, but I didn't see it listed there on the sheet.

Additionally, I noticed the Intelligence score.... Ask your DM, but isn't there a minimum score for being able to... speak languages?

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-04-01, 12:44 PM
The only thing I know that could add another 10 would be the Mobile feat, but I didn't see it listed there on the sheet.

Additionally, I noticed the Intelligence score.... Ask your DM, but isn't there a minimum score for being able to... speak languages?

There is not one in 5e, ( the closest thing to this is the 6 int requirement to use the UA artificer's magic items)

The problem with 4 int is that you are 1/2 as smart as the average commoner. So while you will be able to identify that the cave is wet, squishy and has white stalagmites, you probably will have a hard time putting together that is a mouth. If the average education level is 6th grade, you have a 3rd grade education. You know less about your own monastery then average passerby.

I would strongly urged you to swap you Strength and Intelligence score.(Or your Cha with Int) Here is why

As a monk, you will almost never need your str score
If you have anybody in your group who is a cha caster they will always be better then you
You don't need Cha to talk, just to convince people
You don't need str to do athletic things ( you can just use acrobatics most of the time

If you are stuck with your rolls in order then be sure to tell everybody what you see so they can put it together for you

Vinc
2017-04-01, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys!!

I was wrong the speed is 45ft, I also changed the damage.

For int you´re right is too low hahaha I will ask my DM to see what I can do.

so after changing this two thing the sheet looks like that myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1161959

If anyone see I can change or improve something please tell me.

thanks again!!:smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2017-04-01, 12:49 PM
RPing low Charisma can be hilarious. Just be... Be a blunt, honest ass about stuff, with very little tact.

For inspiration, I look at Will Friedle's "Kashaw Vesh" from Critical Role.

Will saw the stats and said, "Well... Alright. He's kind of a ----."

Citan
2017-04-01, 06:47 PM
Hi guys!

I´m just starting in dnd 5e and I´m going to play my first PbP game soon.

we are going to start at lvl 3 so after rolling in the post I managed to create and level up one monk.

Could you please guys help me with the sheet? Probably I have something wrong.. It´s not clear for me the weapon damage

My rolls

(4d6b3)[7]
(4d6b3)[18]
(4d6b3)[14]
(4d6b3)[4]
(4d6b3)[16]
(4d6b3)[9]

monk 3: myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1161959
Hi!

I may have some ideas to take or leave...
1. Mechanically speaking, I would certainly recommend putting the 4 in either INT or CHA. STR may seem unneeded for a Monk, but a Monk relies on speed, and several spells that deprive of movement target STR saves.

2. If you plan on taking Observant OR bump both WIS and CHA by 1, starting race is fine.
Otherwise, I would suggest a Hill Dwarf: this allows you to start with, as strange as it sounds...
Either a Mountain Dwarf: you lose on speed instead of gaining, but you could start with a decent 11(9+2) STR, 18 DEX, 16(14+2)CON, 16 WIS, 4 INT, 7 CHA.
Or a Lightfoot Halfling: again you lose some speed, but you gain several useful features for a Monk (Lucky, Brave, Nimbleness, Naturally Stealthy) and you could start with...
9 STR / 18(16+2) DEX / 14 CON / 4 INT / 18 WIS / 8(7+1) CHA.
In first case, you won't fear STR saves and you get a hefty +20 HP over the course of your life.
In second case, you start with much better AC and Monk features DC, which means Stunning Strike reliable earlier.

Vinc
2017-04-02, 12:23 PM
Hi!

I may have some ideas to take or leave...
1. Mechanically speaking, I would certainly recommend putting the 4 in either INT or CHA. STR may seem unneeded for a Monk, but a Monk relies on speed, and several spells that deprive of movement target STR saves.

2. If you plan on taking Observant OR bump both WIS and CHA by 1, starting race is fine.
Otherwise, I would suggest a Hill Dwarf: this allows you to start with, as strange as it sounds...
Either a Mountain Dwarf: you lose on speed instead of gaining, but you could start with a decent 11(9+2) STR, 18 DEX, 16(14+2)CON, 16 WIS, 4 INT, 7 CHA.
Or a Lightfoot Halfling: again you lose some speed, but you gain several useful features for a Monk (Lucky, Brave, Nimbleness, Naturally Stealthy) and you could start with...
9 STR / 18(16+2) DEX / 14 CON / 4 INT / 18 WIS / 8(7+1) CHA.
In first case, you won't fear STR saves and you get a hefty +20 HP over the course of your life.
In second case, you start with much better AC and Monk features DC, which means Stunning Strike reliable earlier.

hi man! thank you so much for the answer!

Finally I chose Lightfoot Halfling but I think you´re wrong with the DEX is 18 + 2 for being a halfling ( i rolled 18 not 16) the only think Im worried is the INT the character is a bit stupid hahaha :smallbiggrin:

I change everything and the sheet is ready. could you cheeck it? maybe I missed something. myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1161959

thanks again!

coredump
2017-04-02, 12:55 PM
Do you realize just how unlikely it is to get a 4??

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-02, 04:38 PM

he got a 4 and an 18. hes both lucky and brave. its great.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-04-02, 05:30 PM

Better a 4 then a 3

Citan
2017-04-02, 05:55 PM
hi man! thank you so much for the answer!

Finally I chose Lightfoot Halfling but I think you´re wrong with the DEX is 18 + 2 for being a halfling ( i rolled 18 not 16) the only think Im worried is the INT the character is a bit stupid hahaha :smallbiggrin:

I change everything and the sheet is ready. could you cheeck it? maybe I missed something. myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1161959

thanks again!
Well, in fact, I thought you had rolled but you could choose which roll would go to which score, and because of that I put your rolled 16 to DEX on purpose, so you could get starting 18 in both DEX AND WIS. ;)

If you get Open Hand / 4E Ways, it means your features are immediately more reliable. Not by much admitedly but still... :)

And you start with many even scores which is better imo.
With that said, starting 20 in DEX is nice also. ^^

coredump
2017-04-02, 06:11 PM
he got a 4 and an 18. hes both lucky and brave. its great.

A 4 is much harder to get than an 18.