PDA

View Full Version : Azer as a PC race

DireSickFish
2017-04-01, 02:15 PM
I've got an opportunity to let my players make Azer PCs. As the party saved a group of them. Any ideas for stats?

I was thinking of using Fire Genasai as a base. +1 ST +2 CON Damage resistance fire, dark vision 30ft and Produce flame cantrip.

I feel like the Azer bonus damage to weapon damage doesn't translate well to a PC race. Anyone got other ideas?

JackPhoenix
2017-04-01, 04:05 PM
Take a standard dwarf and set him on fire?

Tetrasodium
2017-04-01, 04:18 PM
I've got an opportunity to let my players make Azer PCs. As the party saved a group of them. Any ideas for stats?

I was thinking of using Fire Genasai as a base. +1 ST +2 CON Damage resistance fire, dark vision 30ft and Produce flame cantrip.

I feel like the Azer bonus damage to weapon damage doesn't translate well to a PC race. Anyone got other ideas?

Take a page out of volo's where they have great stuff for classes that don't really get much out of stats or a feature that can hurt (ie kobold +2dex-2 str, pack tactics, darkvision, grovel cower & beg, sunlight sensitivity). The end result to them is they are interesting & different but not like in the 3.5 days where if you were taking Y class you went Z race because it was so much better.

+2 con
-2 strength
Heated Weapons. When the azer hits with a metal melee weapon, it deals an extra 3 (1d6) fire damage (included in the attack).
Illumination. The azer sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional10 feet.
Heated Body. A creature that touches the azer or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 5 (1d10) fire damage.
resist:fire
vuln:cold
no darkvision (they are a freaking torch)

or this

Take a standard dwarf and set him on fire?

DragonSorcererX
2017-04-02, 08:14 AM

Maybe a Feat?

Spellbreaker26
2017-04-02, 01:59 PM

You could swap Produce Flame for Green-Flame Blade if you want to do the weapon damage thing.

DireSickFish
2017-04-03, 07:59 AM
Taking some ideas from reddit.

+2 STR
+1 CON
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft
Damage Resistance (fire)
Illuminated Body: An Azer's body is partally made of fire and produces a bright light in a 20ft radius and and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
Flame on!: As a standard action an Azer can create higher intensity heat giving special advantages. Weapons wielded by the Azer that are primarily metal deal an extra 1d6 fire damage. In addition a creature that touches the azer or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 1d6 fire damage. These effects last for 1min or until the user turns off the effects. One this feature is used the azer can't use it again until they finish a short or long rest.

This way they get all the Azer stuff but it's tied to a standard action ability. The standard action might make it unusable though but I'm worried that a bonus action will make it to strong.

cloud7045
2018-12-18, 01:34 AM
Taking some ideas from reddit.

+2 STR
+1 CON
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft
Damage Resistance (fire)
Illuminated Body: An Azer's body is partally made of fire and produces a bright light in a 20ft radius and and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
Flame on!: As a standard action an Azer can create higher intensity heat giving special advantages. Weapons wielded by the Azer that are primarily metal deal an extra 1d6 fire damage. In addition a creature that touches the azer or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 1d6 fire damage. These effects last for 1min or until the user turns off the effects. One this feature is used the azer can't use it again until they finish a short or long rest.

This way they get all the Azer stuff but it's tied to a standard action ability. The standard action might make it unusable though but I'm worried that a bonus action will make it to strong.

I know it’s really late but I was recently thinking about about this topic.

I like this idea but I don’t thing this version of “Flame On!” Will become irelevant at higher levels. I think that if you follow the monks martial arts example, and either start of at a 1d4 and then ever every 5 levels go up on the die size ending at 1d10, or since it is only good for 1 minute keep it at 1d6 and go up to 1d12 by level 20 instead.

I feel making it a bonus action is only broken at lower levels. I could be mistaken but aren’t there a few abilities that go from actions to bonus actions at higher levels? If thats the case then around level 15 your azer could finally learn how to fully control there body heat and make Flame On! a bonus action.

Dankus Memakus
2018-12-18, 11:26 AM
Just a suggestion but we used fire genasi as an azer in quite a few campaigns. Also we had one player swap the INT bonus to strength and I found it very thematic and fun. Constitution casting was pretty awesome.