PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon spell selection

danielxcutter
2017-04-01, 07:46 PM
You know, for all the threads I've seen about the prestige class, I haven't learned a lot about which spells that they should take, except for "Chameleon can get all the great archery spells"(true), and "Trapsmiths get Dispel Magic as a 1st level spell; take it"(also true). Could I get a more specific rundown of what spells to take?

For the purposes of this thread, entry is Rogue 1/Ranger 2/Totemist 2. Wands are fairly easy to get, although stuff like Summon Giants from Disciple of Thrym or something isn't.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-01, 07:47 PM
Here's a list of spells available at lower levels than normal (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3hmmrg4ln5cmn0ivhd0jngbs35&topic=12661), which should help?

danielxcutter
2017-04-01, 07:57 PM
Here's a list of spells available at lower levels than normal (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3hmmrg4ln5cmn0ivhd0jngbs35&topic=12661), which should help?

I've actually seen that a couple of times, but there are two problems.

1. Not all spells a Chameleon would want can be get at lower levels, such as Polymorph.

2. There are so many spells in that link, it's nigh-impossible to tell which are useful for a specific character, or really all that useful at all.

Still, thanks for the link, because I won't have to google that up again I guess.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-01, 08:12 PM
I mean, apart from that, I don't know how much Chameleon-specific stuff there is?

danielxcutter
2017-04-01, 08:19 PM
I mean, apart from that, I don't know how much Chameleon-specific stuff there is?

You know, that's pretty good advice in and of itself. I keep forgetting that I should treat the class similarly to the half-casters. Thanks!

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-02, 02:32 AM
Why even bother with spells when you can just boost your wisdom and use shapesand.

Venger
2017-04-02, 03:06 AM
I've played a chameleon for many years and was searching the forum for one of the times I'd put in his personal spellbook. in my searching, I found this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509983-Advice-for-Chameleon-build&p=21531306&highlight=chameleon#post21531306) with not only my list of spells, but a lot of other helpful advice on this topic as well, so I thought I'd leave a link

Inevitability
2017-04-02, 03:30 AM
Why even bother with spells when you can just boost your wisdom and use shapesand.

Because there are spells that do things shapesand can't.

danielxcutter
2017-04-02, 03:39 AM
I've played a chameleon for many years and was searching the forum for one of the times I'd put in his personal spellbook. in my searching, I found this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509983-Advice-for-Chameleon-build&p=21531306&highlight=chameleon#post21531306) with not only my list of spells, but a lot of other helpful advice on this topic as well, so I thought I'd leave a link

Uh... I started that thread, remember? Although I really should take a look at it again, I guess.

This reason:

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-02, 12:16 PM

If you cant get shapesand to do something, you arent shapesanding hard enough.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-02, 01:23 PM
If you cant get shapesand to do something, you arent shapesanding hard enough.
I'd like to fly.
I'd like to assume a new form.
I'd like to gain extra attacks.
I'd like to deal damage to multiple targets.
I'd like to impose a penalty on an enemy.

Get the idea? Shapesand is a useful tool, but it's hardly a be-all, end-all.

Inevitability
2017-04-02, 03:04 PM
I'd like to fly.

To add: planar travel, diplomacy, identifying magical items, removing harmful effects...

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-02, 05:20 PM
To add: planar travel, diplomacy, identifying magical items, removing harmful effects...
Really, literally anything that isn't "have a mundane item available."

danielxcutter
2017-04-02, 05:21 PM
Hmmm... what can shapesand do, by the way?

Edit: Oh, anything you can do with a mundane tool? Not omnipotent then, but still insanely useful.

Venger
2017-04-02, 05:40 PM
Hmmm... what can shapesand do, by the way?

Edit: Oh, anything you can do with a mundane tool? Not omnipotent then, but still insanely useful.

it can technically turn into alchemical items such as tanglefoot bags and chaos flasks as well, but this is unlikely to work in practical play.

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-02, 06:22 PM
I'd like to fly.

Splendid! I accept! I work tonight, but tomorrow I shall solve as many of these as I can. I suspect it will be more than you think. :smallbiggrin:

When I do, Ill make a new topic about it so as not to derail this one further.

bekeleven
2017-04-03, 03:45 AM
It really depends on what you want your chameleon to do. They are pretty much the definition of "can be built to do literally anything." Cross-index the wizard list with the reduced spell level list to get an idea of the general upsides, but from there it's all character-based.

VisitingDaGulag
2017-04-03, 11:00 AM
Chameleon is like factotum or a heavy thuerge. You can build them in so many ways, we can't easily answer your question. The basic answer is: you have basically all the spells. Take anything you want.

So do you want to BFC?, do you want to SoD?, do you want to buff?, do you enjoy persistent spell?, do you like utility spells? do you just want to blast? etc etc