PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Is a Prestige Paladin dip really worth it?

Rakku
2017-04-01, 11:19 PM
I'm currently building a cleric and came across a handbook that suggested taking a 1 lvl dip in Prestige Paladin exclusively to get access to the paladin spell list. I thought it'd be nice to have some extra spells and since I'm focusing on melee combat, it seemed appropiate.

But then I found out I have to take the Mounted Combat feat and put 4 ranks in ride to enter. I didn't really plan on having a mount but I would be willing to make the sacrifice if the paladin spells were useful. So I looked for a complete spell list, but when I found it, I wasn't impressed. I'm not saying there are no good spells at all but a lot of them are also on the cleric list, others are only for mounted combat and a couple are inferior to similiar cleric spells. Divine Sacrifice, Righteous Fury and Draconic Might are the only ones that spoke to me.

My question is: Are there any other good paladin spells for clerics outside of the mounted combat related? And if so, which ones?

Take into account that I already get Bless Weapon and Holy Sword through the Glory Domain.

SirNMN
2017-04-01, 11:46 PM
honestly No

A_S
2017-04-02, 12:33 AM
Only if your DM rules that it makes your Cleric spells work with Battle Blessing (which they shouldn't).

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-02, 02:19 AM
Favor of the Martyr.

Also if you're already going into Prestige Paladin you should take 2 levels for Divine Grace. Then you can take Serenity (DComp) to add your wisdom to your saves and TU uses.

T.G. Oskar
2017-04-02, 02:20 AM
Given that you mention Spell Compendium spells, there are a few gems hidden within. You already have Delay Death as a Cleric spell; by spending 2 4th level spell slots, you can use the Paladin spell Favor of the Martyr and essentially not die. Add Death Ward and a Tabard of the Lost Crusade (grants Mettle while under half of your hit points), and not even Disintegrate can kill you. Another solid 4th level spell is Sacred Haven; sacred bonuses to anything are hard to come by, and while you don't get Lay on Hands proper, the benefits are pretty good nonetheless. Lawful Sword is the counterpart to Holy Sword, which is solid against chaotic enemies.

Going by Paladin spells that aren't 4th level, I like Deafening Clang more than Divine Sacrifice - sure, it's not that hot, and it lasts only 1 round, but it's a swift action spell that adds damage and has a rider effect (Silence) with every hit, and if you're going to full attack, it's a solid overall boost to damage; Rhino's Rush is better on a charge, but you don't have to be mounted to use it (it's just that, with a Lance, a Valorous Lance at that, and with the Spirited Charge feat, you're basically dealing five times the damage); do note, though, that it doesn't work with Pounce, because it affects only the first attack (not the rest). Diamondsteel grants DR/adamantine proportional to your armor's AC bonus, and Find the Gap makes your first attack each round turn into a touch attack (perfect for Power Attack, at the very least); those are shared with other classes, but they're not on the Cleric list, so that's that.

Can't tell you more about other Paladin spells from other supplements, but if you have access to Eberron content, one of its supplements has decent Paladin-only spells (Forges of War, IIRC); that can also help.

Venger
2017-04-02, 02:20 AM
if all you want's the list, just take southern magician and dip silver pyromancer for a level instead.

Ierox
2017-04-02, 03:49 AM
if all you want's the list, just take southern magician and dip silver pyromancer for a level instead.

You're spending the same amount of feats and you lose a caster level on entry on top. I'd say that that's a worse trade.

Rakku
2017-04-02, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the answers, everyone.

Favor of the Martyr.

Also if you're already going into Prestige Paladin you should take 2 levels for Divine Grace. Then you can take Serenity (DComp) to add your wisdom to your saves and TU uses.

Given that you mention Spell Compendium spells, there are a few gems hidden within. You already have Delay Death as a Cleric spell; by spending 2 4th level spell slots, you can use the Paladin spell Favor of the Martyr and essentially not die. Add Death Ward and a Tabard of the Lost Crusade (grants Mettle while under half of your hit points), and not even Disintegrate can kill you. Another solid 4th level spell is Sacred Haven; sacred bonuses to anything are hard to come by, and while you don't get Lay on Hands proper, the benefits are pretty good nonetheless. Lawful Sword is the counterpart to Holy Sword, which is solid against chaotic enemies.

Going by Paladin spells that aren't 4th level, I like Deafening Clang more than Divine Sacrifice - sure, it's not that hot, and it lasts only 1 round, but it's a swift action spell that adds damage and has a rider effect (Silence) with every hit, and if you're going to full attack, it's a solid overall boost to damage; Rhino's Rush is better on a charge, but you don't have to be mounted to use it (it's just that, with a Lance, a Valorous Lance at that, and with the Spirited Charge feat, you're basically dealing five times the damage); do note, though, that it doesn't work with Pounce, because it affects only the first attack (not the rest). Diamondsteel grants DR/adamantine proportional to your armor's AC bonus, and Find the Gap makes your first attack each round turn into a touch attack (perfect for Power Attack, at the very least); those are shared with other classes, but they're not on the Cleric list, so that's that.

Can't tell you more about other Paladin spells from other supplements, but if you have access to Eberron content, one of its supplements has decent Paladin-only spells (Forges of War, IIRC); that can also help.

You two guys convinced me. There was definitely more to that list than what it seemed at first glance. I'm taking the Prestige Paladin dip. Thanks!