PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 2 handed inquisitor optimization

treecko
2017-04-02, 12:30 AM
Hi playground. I'm a pretty new to pathfinder, and I'm rolling up a lv 3 inquisitor. I would like to go with a 2 handed weapon. However, I don't really know how to built it.

Questions: What stats should I take? We got 20 point buy, I would like to go oni spawned tiefling (+2 str, +2 wis, -2 int)

What feats do I want? I know power attack, and probably seize the opportunity and outflank for teamwork feats. But I don't knwo what to get at lv 1 with 0 BAB, and where to go from there.

Domain and weapon: We're playing in a homebrew world, and are encouraged to make our own gods. I'm thinking travel domain and greatsword favored weapon, but I'm considering falchion or halberd instead.

Lastly, what makes the the inquisitor so good? Its rated above pretty much every martial sans magus on the tierlist, so its clearly doing something right. What is it?

MesiDoomstalker
2017-04-02, 01:05 AM
Power Attack for your first level feat. Only needs 13 Strength, no BAB required. Beyond that, your feat choices aren't really necessary for you to contribute to melee. Your stat spread should focus Str, then a tie between Con and Wis (since you have a racial bonus to Wis, put less points there and more in Con). The rest of your stats don't matter, so put points to taste.

Inquisitor is good because it's very flexible and has lots of utility. It's spell list ins't that big but gets some good spells, your Teamwork feats give you auto-synergy with your party, Judgement gives you floating bonus to the right thing at the right time (though honestly you'll be on the To-Hit Judgement 90% of the time). Your Bane gives you damage output just when you start falling behind. Your class features and skill list also make you half a skill monkey (mainly Monster IDing, Intimidate, Sense Motive and Perception).

Florian
2017-04-02, 01:50 AM
Lastly, what makes the the inquisitor so good? Its rated above pretty much every martial sans magus on the tierlist, so its clearly doing something right. What is it?

It´s pretty much a paragon why the Tier 3 classes are the most well-rounded in a PF game. Inquisitor is flexible, has utility but can be build on any of the four major specializations (Archer, Melee, Skill Monkey, Caster) without losing out on the other class features too much.

For your build, in general terms, focus on STR > CON/WIS > DEX > rest. Good feats are Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack, Weapon Focus > Shatter Defenses and possibly Heavy Armor Proficiency.
You should consider dipping one level of Fighter for WF an the proficiency, tho.

Spells to start with: Divine Favour, Shield of Faith, Wrath.

As for your deity, the easiest solution is to come up with a "god of civilization" (Like Aroden). That´s easy to role-play as you´ll always come up with good ideas as to why your inquisitor meddles in things.
Domains should be Travel or Freedom, if you´re a team player, pick the tactics inquisition, weapon should be the nodachi or falchion.

Geddy2112
2017-04-02, 12:07 PM
In addition to what was said above:

Since you can add your wis to initiative and wear medium armor, dex can be reasonably low but you don't want to dump it. Reach polearm inquisitors probably want a 14 for combat reflexes, but you can get by with a 12.

Improved initiative is always a good feat to take if you find yourself missing any other choices. Since you are good at intimidate and taking power attack anyways, cornagun smash is a very good feat choice for free debuffs when you hit. Furious focus is another good feat for power attackers.

Inquisitors are good at gishing like a magus, but have a lot more skills and utility abilities in class. They are limited by spells known, but still can get a really well rounded mix of buff, debuff, support and out of combat utility choices. Grab a wand of cure light wounds instead of knowing it, put it in a springloaded wrist sheath for emergency in combat heals and out of combat topping off.

Tuvarkz
2017-04-02, 12:23 PM
Onispawn is -2 Cha, not -2 Int. Which is much more convenient
Also, you can grab the Conversion or Reformation inquisition, and get Wis to Socials (Diplomacy and Intimidate, plus your choice of Bluff or Perform (Oratory))
With 20 PB, I'd say
16+2 STR (10) 12 DEX (2) 14 CON (5) 12 INT (2) 14+2 WIS (5) 7-2 CHA (-4)
Grab at least one rank in the knowledges that your party isn't covering, plus perception/Intimidate/Sense motive and another social skill if your party doesn't have it. Make sure to grab your racial FCB, +1/2 to intimidat checks and to knowledge checks to identify is golden.

And what makes the inquisitor good? Solid skills and saves, decent hit die, being a killer combat machine, nice spell selection, etc etc.

Agreed with Florian on weapon choice.