PDA

View Full Version : Consuming Divine Rank?

CIDE
2017-04-02, 02:02 AM
Alright Playground! I have come with something of an odd situation to throw out there. I'm playing in an open world nearly sandbox style D&D game. While there is one head-honcho several of the trusted players out of a very large group are able to run individual campaigns within the world,build above average NPC's, and even get a deus ex style level 45 epic character. The Player Characters are starting at level 20.

Anyway, the DM is wanting to eventually give all the characters an opportunity to at least get a divine spark as the Abomination entries call it. Essentially Divine Rank 0. It's not supposed to be easy but it will be available. that said, he has allowed it that if a character can somehow absorb a creature or its soul with a divine spark it transfers over. It may not be at a 1:1 ratio and could take multiple entities with a divine spark. It also may or may not work to repeat to go higher than Divine Rank 0. While I'm not focusing yet on trying to jump up that level of power he did already rule tha my level 45 Demilich with its soul eating power would be able to do this. Assuming of course his attacks work.

I guess my question comes down to this; what other ways can you think of to "capture" a divine spark from an enemy that has it. The Demilich in question and is ability are confirmed to work in this world. I suspect a Devourer's method would also work and that may work as a shapechange option. I'm not sure what other options there are. Most things that simply capture a soul only do so temporarily and inevitablyconsumes the soul through the items usage or releases the soul.

I'm attempting to compile a list of methods in order to help other players. Granted, I'm not going to hold anyone's hand and win the fight for them. They still have to do that hard part. What are your ideas? Or maybe ideas to get Divine Rank?

Keep in mind Ice Assassin shenanigans do not work. I'm not even going to ask but I already know the answer to that question. On that note w'ere also not shooting for nigh-unlimited Divine Rank. I'm not even sure we'd be allowedto surpass rank 0. I'm just trying to be prepared.

Finally. Can something like an Elder Evil (not technically divine rank but treated as DR0) or an Abomination willing pass that "spark" along?

On an unrelated note have any of you attempted to upgrade other sorts of enemies into Abominations? It's not technically a template but can easilly be used as one for various monsters.

Inevitability
2017-04-02, 03:32 AM
A Barghest's Feed ability would probably work. Check with your DM if the Barghest's Feast spell does as well.

Esprit15
2017-04-02, 07:00 AM
Trap the Soul (and similar spells) combined with then using said soul container as the primary component of some sort of spell, perhaps even a resurrection of some sort?

Mr Adventurer
2017-04-02, 07:27 AM
Use Trap the Soul (which is what the Demilich power is based on anyway IIRC), then use the gem with the soul to craft a slotless magical item (which is inside your body) and say the magic item's effect is from the entrapped soul.

This is exactly as valid as what is already happening with the Demilich power.

Karl Aegis
2017-04-02, 12:43 PM
Immortals Handbook: Ascension is a third party book focusing on deities and becoming a deity. A few things change like Divine Rank 0 (Quasi-deity) is Divine Rank 4 in this book and you achieve true divinity at Divine Rank 3 (Hero-Deity) after collecting enough power from slaying immortal creatures or getting worshipers and going on a spirit quest where your decisions decide what portfolio you'll get (or if you're even worthy of becoming divine). You need 1000 power points before you can ascend to godhood. You get them from good press, being a really scary dude or slaying immortals. You usually get points equal to the encounter level of an encounter plus the highest charisma bonus of the enemies divided between your party members and their deities. If you slay an immortal on their home plane you get 1/10th of their divinity divided among the party. All outsiders and deities count as immortals, so go kill some of those. 20th level Monks are the easiest targets. They don't come back to get you, but their boss deity might come and find you eventually. But, do note outsiders got buffed in this book so they are extremely durable and fast.

I probably wouldn't be giving out Quasi-deity before level 35.

CIDE
2017-04-03, 12:34 AM
A Barghest's Feed ability would probably work. Check with your DM if the Barghest's Feast spell does as well.

Physical consumption should work. He's already ruled that a Greater Doppleganger's ability and an Ilithid Savant's ability would do it. Considering the Barghest is literally consuming life force it makes sense. I'll have to ask.

Trap the Soul (and similar spells) combined with then using said soul container as the primary component of some sort of spell, perhaps even a resurrection of some sort?

I considered these and I'm not sure they'd do it since none of them actually pump that soul/life force/spark/wtfever into the person using the spells. It just uses the spells as an external source of power for external effects.

Immortals Handbook: Ascension is a third party book focusing on deities and becoming a deity. A few things change like Divine Rank 0 (Quasi-deity) is Divine Rank 4 in this book and you achieve true divinity at Divine Rank 3 (Hero-Deity) after collecting enough power from slaying immortal creatures or getting worshipers and going on a spirit quest where your decisions decide what portfolio you'll get (or if you're even worthy of becoming divine). You need 1000 power points before you can ascend to godhood. You get them from good press, being a really scary dude or slaying immortals. You usually get points equal to the encounter level of an encounter plus the highest charisma bonus of the enemies divided between your party members and their deities. If you slay an immortal on their home plane you get 1/10th of their divinity divided among the party. All outsiders and deities count as immortals, so go kill some of those. 20th level Monks are the easiest targets. They don't come back to get you, but their boss deity might come and find you eventually. But, do note outsiders got buffed in this book so they are extremely durable and fast.

I probably wouldn't be giving out Quasi-deity before level 35.

He has included a few monsters from that book but he hasn't integrated the book in its entirety to the game world. I doubt that section is part of it since there's a bit he really doesn't like in the book.