PDA

View Full Version : Help with my character development and alignment changes

TheBoy
2017-04-02, 04:34 AM
What's up guys!

So I'm currently playing in a campaign that's been going pretty swell. That being said my back story is of a samurai chaotic good character, who through being saved by a PC, has taken it upon himself to have a life debt. In one way or another he saw this man as someone to protect and even though he has a rash personality would take into consideration what the PC opinion and act on the behalf of that character before his own. At this point he was almost in that sense his "Master".

So through bad RP that PC had an escalated situation where he attacked not only me his body guard and sworn protector but also another PC. In turn given that me and said PC put him down.

He is now dead, so I guess in one way I'm now a "Ronin". But the question is, is my alignment in question, if not do you feel like given everything that happened my chaotic good would change to something else and now that I'm free and more to my own mind and decision given I killed him and have decided my life and being and decisions were more important than keeping an oath regardless to betrayal where does that put me?

Help develop me?

mgshamster
2017-04-02, 08:04 AM
No alignment change. This is a one off scenario.

Alignment changes represent an entire change in personality over a period of time. A single event isn't enough to justify an alignment change.

So basically, for character development, pick the alignment you want your PC to be, and try to have him act that way in the long run.

Or do what most people do these days - try to ignore the constriction of alignment and just play the personality you want to play.

War_lord
2017-04-02, 08:09 AM
...You're Chaotic Good, oaths mean nothing to you in the first place. Even if you were Lawful Good, if the person you swore an oath to acted in such a way that you had to put them down, either in self defense or the defense of others, you'd still be Lawful Good.

Unoriginal
2017-04-02, 12:06 PM
Like said before, alignment changes are not for one-off things. Alignements describe characters' tendencies, not every single of their acts. That being said...

So I'm currently playing in a campaign that's been going pretty swell. That being said my back story is of a samurai chaotic good character, who through being saved by a PC, has taken it upon himself to have a life debt. In one way or another he saw this man as someone to protect and even though he has a rash personality would take into consideration what the PC opinion and act on the behalf of that character before his own. At this point he was almost in that sense his "Master".

This doesn't sound very Chaotic in any way, but eh.

So through bad RP that PC had an escalated situation where he attacked not only me his body guard and sworn protector but also another PC. In turn given that me and said PC put him down.

Pretty weird for a Samurai, but ok.

He is now dead, so I guess in one way I'm now a "Ronin". But the question is, is my alignment in question, if not do you feel like given everything that happened my chaotic good would change to something else and now that I'm free and more to my own mind and decision given I killed him and have decided my life and being and decisions were more important than keeping an oath regardless to betrayal where does that put me?

...That's basically what Chaotic means.

Or do what most people do these days - try to ignore the constriction of alignment and just play the personality you want to play.

5e's alignments aren't constrictive. They're descriptive.

Playing the personality you want to play would simply result in it being called one alignment or another.