PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with multi weapon fighting

Colonel Snazzy
2017-04-02, 06:22 AM
So I've been trying to figure this out for a while, and at the moment it boils down to an Insectile Multi-Headed Thri-Kreen.
The only problem with this is that the LA is horrendous (+1 from Thri-Kreen, +2 from insectile, +2 from Multi-headed and 2 Racial Hit Dice for good measure) I'll take the aberrant limbs feat at 1st level for an extra set of arms. This would net me 10 arms with minimal penalty (Multi-Headed makes it so that none of my hands are off-hand). Stat-wise I'm getting +2 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int +6 Wis, -4 Cha. I'm also having trouble on deciding which weapons to use. At first I thought of using 5 Double Bladed Swords, but then my DM suggested the Dire Flail. What would you recommend?

Darrin
2017-04-02, 06:59 AM
So I've been trying to figure this out for a while, and at the moment it boils down to an Insectile Multi-Headed Thri-Kreen.
The only problem with this is that the LA is horrendous (+1 from Thri-Kreen, +2 from insectile, +2 from Multi-headed and 2 Racial Hit Dice for good measure) I'll take the aberrant limbs feat at 1st level for an extra set of arms. This would net me 10 arms with minimal penalty (Multi-Headed makes it so that none of my hands are off-hand). Stat-wise I'm getting +2 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int +6 Wis, -4 Cha. I'm also having trouble on deciding which weapons to use. At first I thought of using 5 Double Bladed Swords, but then my DM suggested the Dire Flail. What would you recommend?

I'm not familiar with Aberrant Limbs as a feat. I thought it was a templatish-thing from DMGII, which would drive up your LA by another +2. Is the feat a Pathfinder thing?

As far as weapons go... that depends on how you're racking up your bonus damage. Double weapons might be viable, depending on how you parse the Str bonus on damage, but it's not clear how exactly Superior TWF interacts with double weapons. The text of Superior TWF says "the damage bonus for each weapon are calculated as though the weapon were held in a primary hand", but this could work against you for a two-handed weapon, which would only get x1.0 Str damage because Superior TWF forces you to treat it as a one-handed "primary" weapon. Power Lunge (Ghostwalk) can fix this, essentially resetting the Str bonus to x2.0 for all your weapons, but only when you're charging. You'd have to come up with a reliable method to charge every round, which could eat up some class levels and feat slots. If you can fit it in, Monk 2/Drunken Master 2 gets you Stagger, which lets you charge in circles every round 24/7.

Something to consider... Cavestalker 4 (Drow of the Underdark) allows you to wield a spiked chain in one hand. Dip Exotic Weapon Master for the Uncanny Blow stunt, and you can treat one-handed exotic weapons as if they were two-handed for calculating damage, either for Power Attack or your Str bonus. (The exact meaning of the wording is confusing, though... make sure you clear it with the DM.)

Dire Flail might be viable if you can fit in Dire Flail Slash (Champions of Ruin), which gets you a Fort save vs. dazed 1 round. But I'm not a big fan of it. I'm much more partial to morningstars and Three Mountains Style (Complete Warrior), which gets you a Fort save vs. nausea 1 round.

zergling.exe
2017-04-02, 08:21 AM
Multiheaded is a bit strange with its Superior Two-Weapon Fighting. It says that each head controls one weapon wielding limb, so by RAW if you have more limbs than heads, it may not work as you would expect. That or a thri-kreen would have to have 6 heads minimum with the template, more if it has additional limbs.