PDA

View Full Version : Low Charisma Reasons

nickl_2000
2017-04-02, 08:09 AM
I'm starting a new campaign in a little over a week, and after reading the "worst roleplayers" thread, I'm worried that may current reason for a low charisma is going to end up pissing off my other players. The character is a Druid that I'm planning on going Moon to level 20 (my DM has been pretty nice about giving enough starting critters that I wil be useful even into high levels).

Son of a tribal patriarch in a small Zenj tribe. Taught everything I knew by him, but I found that I preferred and was more skilled with the animals of the tribes than dealing with the humans. My father recognized the wisdom of the decision and named my brother as his successor. To learn more about the animals of the world and avoid any challenges to my Brother succession, I decided to leave the village and seek my fortunes out in the world. On leaving,

I packed up my clothing, some food, my books and writing materials, and my veterinarian's kit. My father and brother both offered me their blessings said goodbye, and my father presented me with a specially commissioned iwisa to be used for my protection on the journey. I set food outside of the village, in the direction of a larger village to the North, likely at this point never to never return.

As I walked along the path to the north I found myself getting distracted by the animals in the wild jungles. I saw many colorful birds and even some snakes larger than me. I was so overtaken with the beauty of them, I stopped and studied them. Quietly sitting and sketching their movements and studying their mannerisms. I got so distracted that it was soon dusk and I was no where near the next village. So, I set up camp, started a fire, and started to settle down for the night. Most of the the animals were scared off by my fire and stayed away from me, but as I was getting drowsy I suddenly heard a growling noise.

I leaped up, drew and brandished my iwisa and readied to protect myself. As soon as I readied the weapon, I felt magic flow into my body from the world around me, then out of my body and into the weapon. The iwisa grew lighter in my hand and green sprouts came out from the knobbed end of the club. I burnished the weapon and prepared for the charge. The great cat leapt out of the shadows, it eyes shining in the firelight. As it got close I swung with all my might and landed a blow on the cats head. The green sprouts on the iwisa came to life and wrapped around the cat, restraining it in place unable to move. I swung desperately at the cat as it struggled against the plant restraints, eventually knocking it unconscious.

After the short battle, I hung my weapon from my belt again and it immediately returned to it's normal weight and design, the sprouts dropped off it and where gone. I gently examined the animal, amazed at the grace that the animal moved despite it's power. When I got to it's long claws, I thanked Gozreh those things had never touched me. Eventually, when I was able to turn the tiger over and see it's belly I noticed a large poorly healed gash and realized that the animal was driven to attack me out of desperation in it's injured state. I pulled out my kit and gently cut away the infected parts of the wound, then stitched it up. Once again, I felt the same feeling of magic come into my body and leave through my hands into the wound. To my surprise, the wound closed itself up and all sign of infection left the tiger's body.

The Tiger eyes opened abruptly and it stretched it legs, closing it's eyes, and lowered it's head into my lap. This was the start of an interesting friendship. Clearly the tiger had the intelligence to recognize me as someone who helped him, and that he should treat me with respect.

We traveled on together, the tiger and me, through the jungle. He company was both a blessing and a curse as he protected me from other predators, but also scared away all the other animals in the jungle. I found that if I focused on the energy of the natural world around me, I could use that energy for many things. I was able to speak with my new tiger friend, even summon food into my hands when I was hungry. We eventually got to the next village to the North, and I bid my new friend goodbye.

The villagers recognized my growing power as soon as I set food inside the walls. They led me to the shaman's hut, who showed me more about my powers. He taught me how to open myself more to nature and it's power, and even how to let nature itself show me how it wanted to be controlled and used. I studied with him for a few weeks until he taught me fully how to study and learn from nature. Once I gained that, I once again set off into the world to seek my fortune.

Over the course of a few years, I visited many different villages in the jungle helping them, healing their animals, and sometimes their people if it was necessary. I made it out of the jungle and made it into the grasslands continuing the same patterns. Only staying in a village for a day or two while I was helping out others, then moving on.

There are many villages and many stories from them, however most of them end up similar. However, a few stories stand out and explain my some of my prize possessions.

One day, I came upon a lizardman in the savanna running for his life. There was a cloud of dust behind him and a grey blur charging in his direction. I ran is his direction, drawing and preparing my weapon. The lizardman tripped and fell over a bump in the ground, and as soon as I saw the opening I released my iwisa. It flew end over end towards the Rhino in a graceful arc, the knobbed end striking perfectly against the Rhino's snout. It jerked at the contact and stopped short of the lizardman surprised and suddenly scared, then snorted and ran off to avoid whatever had caused it the pain. The lizardman was out of his element and separated from his companions and managed to stumble into a group of Rhino's nursing their children, thus causing it to charge. He was grateful for the assistance and offered me his shield in repayment. It was one he had made from the bones of a Dire Wolf that he had killed long ago, cemented the bones together, and wrapped the hardened leather of it's pelt over the top of it. I was honored by gift and have treasured it to this day. I have never liked the lose of the animals life, but believe that using it to protect myself honors it's death.

In my last city visit before I left I was speaking with the priests at a large temple to Gozreh in the port capital city, Eleder in Sargava. They were interested in my studies of anatomy and draws of the creatures I had seen in my travels, and I was happy to share my experiences with them to further their learning. Suddenly a slave burst through the door begging for help. He said that the last of the temple cats in the temple to Asmodeus was sick from an unknown disease and they were unable to heal him. The Gozreh priests refused to help as the temple and the temple cat was to Asmodeus. I was unable to refuse helping an animal that was in need, so I followed the servant.

We rushed to the temple and to the cat. It was laying on it's side, barely able to make a noise. All it could utter was a pathetic mew. I examined the cat and found no obvious marks or wounds that would cause this, and sniffing to smell out signs of infection. After finding no injury that would cause the problems, I called on the nature of magic to assist me. When I focused my magic on the detection of diseases and poisons I found that the pentagram sigal that it was wearing held a contact poison on it. I quickly grabbed a cloth and removed the sigal, then let my healing magic flow into the cat. The cat instantly roused and grew stronger.

Once the cat was back on his feet, I instructed them in the necessary care and left to go back to the temple to Gozreh. As I was leaving I heard a mysterious purring and everyone but me started moving towards the cat and petting it. That night I settled down in the temple of Gozreh, right before I fell asleep I felt a cat paws stepping on my stomach and walking up to my face. When I opened my eyes, I opened them to the cat I helped staring me right in the eyes. To my surprise he introduced himself to me and claimed that they were keeping him there against his will and forcing him to help their followers. The signal he was wearing had a powerful charm on it and once I took it off it freed him. He informed me that those in the temple were angry with me and would be hunting me down to kill me. Then he offered me safe passage on a ship he had procured and we could sail right then for parts far away.

Always ready to leave, I grabbed my gear and got on the boat. We sailed for several weeks and ended up in the city we are starting the adventure in.

My character has an impressive 6 charisma using the 4d6 roll, and my current thought on reasons is that he prefers the company of animals to the company of people. In general, this works with the other PCs as they are a half-orc, Tabaxi, and a LizardFolk. I was also considering that my character would prefer to be in animal form than in human form. However, this may not end up as being viable as my character is the only character with any healing skills.

So, based on what I have written, I would love other ideas for why he has such a abysmally low charisma

hymer
2017-04-02, 09:21 AM
First, let's be clear that while cha 6 is low, it is not abysmal. Something most people would succeed on half the time, you'd succeed on four times in ten.

Charisma is described as confidence, eloquence and leadership in the PHB. Docking the latter two at least would make a lot of sense for someone who prefers animals to people. So you can play your character is generally uncommunicative (but not passive-aggressive, that'd be too advanced as well as annoying) and unwilling to take a lead unless there's no reasonable way around it. A follower, perhaps a great supporter of a leader, but not a leader yourself. That shouldn't have to be too annoying. And consider that with your good wisdom, you'd likely be sensitive to when you are annoying others, and you'd be able to temporarily break your habit to (haltingly and awkwardly?) apologize.
Also, remember that while your character may be overly quiet, you don't have to be. Make sure you take the opportunities to talk to the other players about how things are going, and whether they are annoyed at the way you play your character.

Naanomi
2017-04-02, 09:43 AM
Apart from some saving throws; low Charisma means you are not persuasive or intimidating, can't lie well, and have poor stage presence (though proficiency may shore up some of those weaknesses)

I've done low Charisma as being a-social (a woman of little words and prefers to be alone); or too honest (no attempt to manipulate others, but not necessarily rudely blunt), or just a little mean/surly (but not disruptively so). If you have another low mental trait, low Charisma might be tied into being obvious about it (you don't trust the obvious idiot even if he is likeable)

Being high wisdom (as a Druid) means you are insightful into the social wiles of others, you just don't (or can't) play those games yourself; so you are not the classic 'social skills deficit' type I am used to as a special educator

NNescio
2017-04-02, 09:52 AM
Pick your preferred pervasive development disorder. NOS being the catch-all one.

Naanomi
2017-04-02, 10:01 AM
Pick your preferred pervasive development disorder. NOS being the catch-all one.
DSMV lumped most of them together (and mostly killed the NOS in the process)

And most of those are at least as much having low Insight as they are about having low Charisma

rollingForInit
2017-04-02, 10:10 AM
To me, Charisma is the your ability to leverage our personal force and sense of identity. Honestly, I think a poor Charisma score is the easiest of the mental scores to roleplay, because it's mostly just an external force. A low-Charisma character can be funny, talkative, very outgoing and really likeable. Unless you want something really obvious, it can simply mean that the character has trouble asserting himself. He's the type of guy who gets cut off during debates, or maybe has really great ideas but stumbles on his own words when he tries to explain them in a stressful situation (such as during combat or in a negotiation). In your case, it seems perfectly reasonable that that happens because he's more comfortable around animals than people.

It can mean a bunch of other things as well, but it doesn't have to.

djreynolds
2017-04-03, 03:04 AM
You only need to max out wisdom and con (really for concentration), so you could grab the skilled feat showing that you have learned that this is an important aspect of your character

2 ASI for wisdom 20
1 maybe resilient con
1 maybe war caster or a boost to con
1 in the skilled feat... maybe even as early as 4th level so you can use these skills in game

You have put a lot of effort in this character, but you want to participate in all the game pillars if you can

Perhaps hanging around with the paladin... you are better in diplomatic situations
The dirty rogue taught you to lie and the barbarian showed you yelling in as good as swinging a sword