PDA

View Full Version : nutshot

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 10:57 PM
say why did haley shoot roy in the crotch?

Gundato
2007-07-27, 11:03 PM
To stop his descent.

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 11:04 PM
how would shooting him do that?

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-27, 11:05 PM
I believe this is thread number 4: To put it plainly, she sent an arrow through his penis and into the rock wall behind him to stop his fall. It would be brutally painful if he were alive. He was pinned there and dangling by the arrow.

Chronos
2007-07-27, 11:26 PM
And in case it's not obvious, she wasn't specifically aiming for his genitals, just for somewhere on his body. That's just where she happened to hit.

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 11:27 PM
yeah but then it wouldnt have worked

David Argall
2007-07-27, 11:31 PM
most of the things in this comic wouldn't work. So? It's funny, so it works in the comic.

Scarab83
2007-07-27, 11:40 PM
fan·ta·sy
–noun

1. imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.
2. the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
3. a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.
4. a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.

I don't understand why so many people are confused about such a simple act. Roy was falling down a hole, Haley shot at Roy to pin him to the wall, she accidentally hit him in the groin. The End. Sheesh..

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 01:09 AM
And in case it's not obvious, she wasn't specifically aiming for his genitals, just for somewhere on his body. That's just where she happened to hit.

Yeah, yeah, thats what they all say...

Gitman00
2007-07-28, 09:01 PM
All I can say is... Roy managed to support his entire body weight plus 30 pounds of armor on an arrow through his wang. Trouser Titan indeed!

bluish_wolf
2007-07-30, 04:42 AM
The thing is, I don't think Raise Dead can cure that. It only heals injuries directly related to what killed you.

factotum
2007-07-30, 05:54 AM
The description for the spell just says it closes mortal wounds of all kinds--ones gained after death would presumably count, and an arrow in the groin is likely to be fairly lethal! Mind you, how does the spell differentiate anyway? Seems to me it'd be a lot easier to produce a spell that raises someone from the dead and heals ALL their wounds than one that raises someone from the dead and only heals wounds it considers mortal or life-threatening.

crazyforestgnome
2007-07-30, 07:41 AM
I'm pretty sure cure minor wounds could deal with his wounded 'Trouser Titan' if Raise Dead did not.

--CFG

Lenny
2007-07-30, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty sure cure minor wounds could deal with his wounded 'Trouser Titan' if Raise Dead did not.

--CFG

No offence, but I'm guessing you're female. Because no man would ever refer to being shot there as a minor wound.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-30, 07:46 AM
No offence, but I'm guessing you're female. Because no man would ever refer to being shot there as a minor wound.

I'd cast "heal serious wounds" for that! :smalleek:

Gez
2007-07-30, 08:34 AM
All I can say is... Roy managed to support his entire body weight plus 30 pounds of armor on an arrow through his wang. Trouser Titan indeed!

The nature of stick comics makes anatomical determination quite hard. The arrow could have went through the pelvis, provoking the same sort of reaction seen in the comic. (And given the direction in which Roy was when he fell, it can also include the damage to genitals.)

Oxymoron
2007-07-30, 09:42 AM
This thread makes me happy. It convinces me that I indeed have a life:smallbiggrin:

Megatron
2007-07-30, 10:14 AM
I'd cast "heal serious wounds" for that! :smalleek:

I'd call it critical myself. VERY critical!!

Duaneyo1
2007-07-30, 10:20 AM
Thus the essence of comedy. Your perception of what should happen and what actually does. It's funny to see Willie E Coyote pummeled by heavy falling objects because instead of being squished he just stumbles around with tweety birds flying around his head. We all expected Roy to get shot in the arm or maybe to get tangled in the line. Instead Haley shoots roy in the sack. Which is what made the scene funmy.

Siwenna
2007-07-30, 10:48 AM

The category of an injury isn't based on the amount of pain it causes, though. I'm sure it would hurt like hell, but I doubt it would really warrant cure serious/critical wounds.

(I am female though.)

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-30, 12:02 PM
Cure Moderate Wounds at the very least. I'm most definitely a male, and if it were the balls, then it would depend on what was needed as well. I'd say critical also for the sake of it being such a dire injury to the male's pride and joy.

Now what if a woman were shot in the exact same area, or on the chest? Would it not be the same amount of pain as a male would receive? :smalleek: It'd certainly be a little less humorous.

Elbarad
2007-07-30, 12:13 PM
Cure Moderate Wounds at the very least. I'm most definitely a male, and if it were the balls, then it would depend on what was needed as well. I'd say critical also for the sake of it being such a dire injury to the male's pride and joy.

Now what if a woman were shot in the exact same area, or on the chest? Would it not be the same amount of pain as a male would receive? :smalleek: It'd certainly be a little less humorous.

I'd search out one of the female paladins and have her lay on hands instead of letting the gruff dwarf heal me, but that's just me. :smallsmile:

Wiggle
2007-07-30, 01:32 PM
To stop his descent.

By using descent, are you referring to:-

(a) his tumbling course down the chasm or

(b) his ability to father children!?!?

Eunuch - snippy snippy as Captain Jack often says

Scarab83
2007-07-30, 02:38 PM

Witty. :smallwink:

Oberon
2007-07-30, 03:03 PM
The category of an injury isn't based on the amount of pain it causes, though. I'm sure it would hurt like hell, but I doubt it would really warrant cure serious/critical wounds.

I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt at all, seeing as Roy is dead. But I agree with the cure thing (even though I am a man), because in D&D land one arrow isn't that big of a wound, no matter where it hit. They'd just be sure they pull it out before they raise him, or he'll get quite the surprise.

bluish_wolf
2007-07-30, 03:11 PM
The description for the spell just says it closes mortal wounds of all kinds--ones gained after death would presumably count, and an arrow in the groin is likely to be fairly lethal! Mind you, how does the spell differentiate anyway? Seems to me it'd be a lot easier to produce a spell that raises someone from the dead and heals ALL their wounds than one that raises someone from the dead and only heals wounds it considers mortal or life-threatening.

That's Resurrection, though. With Raise Dead, you are stuck at your HP in hit dice, so it only heals what actually killed you.

Besides, if it was really bad, it would need to be regenerated.

Greebo
2007-07-30, 03:36 PM
Lets not forget that the arrow's exact vector thru the groinal area is not known.

In addition to penile and testicular damage, Roy may be facing prostrate, large intestine, and colon damage.

He could be facing serious medical issues as a result of this shot - at the very least, a significantly increased risk of prostate cancer as he gets older!

Prostrate cancer is no laughing matter! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ct-SJvyxm4U)

Storm Bringer
2007-07-30, 03:54 PM
One thing that people forget about the groin is that several major blood vessels run though the area, several into the (junked:smallbiggrin: ) organ in question, which is, *ahem*, erected by pumping blood into it. Severing one of thes arteries (someing the arrow is very likey to have done) these can cause a man to bleed out very quickly. Being shot it the groin is not only jaw droppingly painful but highly leathal. It'd count on the raise dead list.

Chadwick
2007-07-30, 04:13 PM

(I am female though.)

I would say it depends on his HD... the crotch for anyone is a good spot for a critical hit. soo a Bow does x3+ her sneak attack damage... (if Roy was alive anyway.) sooo it quite posible that he will need a serious/critical to heal that one wound.

Chadwick
2007-07-30, 04:15 PM

While I don t know if it hurts EXACTLY the same I have seen a woman kneed in the crotch in my Dojo... she fell like you d think most men would.

stabbybelkar
2007-07-30, 07:35 PM

is that captain Jack from pirates of the carribean or from doctor who

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-30, 09:34 PM
I would say it depends on his HD... the crotch for anyone is a good spot for a critical hit. soo a Bow does x3+ her sneak attack damage... (if Roy was alive anyway.) sooo it quite posible that he will need a serious/critical to heal that one wound.

Well Haley has a longbow (she said in strip 454) and therefore does 1d8 damage. Assuming average damage x3, she did 12-15 damage (round up or down) + Sneak Attack. Assuming level 13 (so 7d6 sneak attack) and assuming average damage, that's 21. Rounding down slightly, 13 + 21 = 34 damage total. Cure Critical is 4d8+1 per level. Assuming level 13 cleric and average roll, it would cure 16+13=29. So it still wouldn't cure it assuming everything is completely averaged out.

For those who don't like number crunches and text blocks...

Haley's shot - 34 damage on average
Cure Critical - 29 healed on average

The odds are that 1 cure crit probably wouldn't cover it. :smalleek:

Scarab83
2007-07-30, 09:36 PM
I shouldn't be surprised at how quickly this has become a mechanics debate, but I am..

It's a strip about getting shot in the groin, for crying out loud.

maitreyi
2007-07-31, 02:10 AM
If Roy is watching from heaven you just know he crossed his legs.:smallbiggrin:
Poor Durkon, I bet it's a touch spell he'll have to use.:smallbiggrin: :smallyuk:

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-31, 02:15 AM
If Roy is watching from heaven you just know he crossed his legs.:smallbiggrin:
Poor Durkon, I bet it's a touch spell he'll have to use.:smallbiggrin: :smallyuk:

Roy's busy arguing with Miko in the waiting room to heaven. Well actually, maybe heaven and hell have the same waiting room. :smallamused:

Oh, and do you HAVE to be so cruel to the dwarf? Well, actually, I'm not particularly fond of Durkon. Carry on. :smallbiggrin:

Chadwick
2007-07-31, 02:18 PM
Well Haley has a longbow (she said in strip 454) and therefore does 1d8 damage. Assuming average damage x3, she did 12-15 damage (round up or down) + Sneak Attack. Assuming level 13 (so 7d6 sneak attack) and assuming average damage, that's 21. Rounding down slightly, 13 + 21 = 34 damage total. Cure Critical is 4d8+1 per level. Assuming level 13 cleric and average roll, it would cure 16+13=29. So it still wouldn't cure it assuming everything is completely averaged out.

For those who don't like number crunches and text blocks...

Haley's shot - 34 damage on average
Cure Critical - 29 healed on average

The odds are that 1 cure crit probably wouldn't cover it. :smalleek:

I bow before your more precise analise.

Brainfever
2007-08-06, 02:48 PM
In DnD, genital injuries are no big deal cause the system doesn't factor in pain or mental trauma from wounds. I guess it's still a critical hit for the reason stated previously that you'd bleed to death pretty quickly.

Chadwick
2007-08-06, 03:56 PM
In DnD, genital injuries are no big deal cause the system doesn't factor in pain or mental trauma from wounds. I guess it's still a critical hit for the reason stated previously that you'd bleed to death pretty quickly.

yep... its the amount you would bleed thats important... It would also be hard to hit say a storm giant in the head if your at ground level. I also think its boring alway telling my players how they lopped off someone's head.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-07, 01:56 AM
I bow before your more precise analise.

Thanks! That's actually the first time I've ever done a big number crunch like that. It was really... exhilirating, surprisingly. :smalltongue:

bluish_wolf
2007-08-07, 01:08 PM

I think you are forgetting about the whole inability to have children aspect that comes with getting hit in the groin.

Greebo
2007-08-07, 01:35 PM
Don't tell me *nobody* clicked on my "prostrate cancer" link...

Its funny! ;D

Brainfever
2007-08-08, 10:13 AM
I think you are forgetting about the whole inability to have children aspect that comes with getting hit in the groin.

Get someone to cast regenerate on you in near future if it's such a big deal on your campaign.

PaladinFreak
2007-08-08, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing he needs a Restoration to cure all that Charisma drain!

Gaelbert
2007-08-08, 11:18 PM
is that captain Jack from pirates of the carribean or from doctor who

Pirates, I think.

Anyways, its hard to tell the exact damage from Oots because in normal D&D, all that's specified is that critical hits hit vulnerable areas. It doesn't say exactly what is considered a vulnerable area. Oots is visual, you have to see where the blow lands. In this case, I think Rich should homebrew that as a critical hit, plus wisdom damage, plus a lot of charisma damage. Its hard to be wise when you just got shot in that region.

Brainfever
2007-08-10, 10:31 AM
Pirates, I think.
Its hard to be wise when you just got shot in that region.
Um, WTF? Can I have what you're having?