PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Getting a new world underway

KindOfGoodGuy
2017-04-02, 01:07 PM
So I have had an idea floating around in my head for a while for a unique game world, but I have no idea how to go about the first few sessions or how to get a proper campaign (or at least the plot hooks) established. I was hoping you all might be able to offer insight.

The idea for this game world would rewrite a lot of the cosmology of the typical D&D world. There would effectively be 3 types of magic: arcane, divine, and nature. To explain the importance of each one would require comparing it to a blanket (easiest analogy I can think of). Arcane magic would be the fabric. It permeates every inch of the multiverse and without it almost nothing would exist. Divine magic would be the shapes, boundaries, and borders of the blanket. It is responsible for the good, evil, law, and chaos that we experience that compose our everyday lives. Finally, nature would be the color. It is due to nature that life, vibrancy, and energy exist. To maintain order and control, there are 3 gods. Each one is responsible for the continuation of their own type of magic. This means that each deity has a special link any and all people that practice their type of magic.

The premise for the story and campaign is that an ignorant and incredibly powerful group of evil adventurers attacked and killed the deity of nature, subsequently killing 99% of druids in the process via a kind of magical feedback loop. Most of the adventurers were killed or mortally wounded in the battle though, so there is no chance of them being able to repeat their transgressions.

This is where the party steps in. In a manner similar to Portal 2, the party is a group of druids that were selected to go into a stasis of some sort in case something horrible happened. In any other circumstance, they would have been woken up as soon as the battle had ended. The problem though is that the druidic guardians that watched over them were killed via the feedback before they could open the stasis pods (which would be flavored to look like plant pods of some sort). 1000 years later and the residual magic responsible for keeping the pods functioning finally runs out and the party emerges. The goal of the campaign is to find out what happened and to fix the cosmology of the multiverse (by trying to find a replacement or become a replacement).

The world itself is showing great signs of decay though as the party goes through it, which is to give it a kind of dark and serious approach. The sky is almost always overcast so the sun very rarely shines. It might rain for an entire week straight, but the amount of rain is equal to a single day of regular rain. This leaves the trees, grasses, and crops with little to sustain themselves. The wind is also incredibly still. Without it blowing regularly, the trees can't develop enough bark to grow strong and tall to then produce enough food for the animals. This leaves the animals hungry and more thin, which in turn prevents hunters from being able to bring enough to the table to feed their family. Just to survive, the clergymen have been forced to use spells like Create Food and Water en mass. Meanwhile there is an elven city that pulled a Suramar and has been using huge arcane crystals to sustain its populace, but have the downside of causing minor mutations to the populace after prolonged exposure. The party is the only group of druids left in the world and they are the only ones who can even start to fix this.

My problem though is that like I mentioned earlier, I don't know what kind of plot points or hooks i should start with to get the game rolling after the party awakes from stasis.

Pleh
2017-04-02, 01:34 PM
For me, the most important part of introducing new concepts is starting with something old and familiar. This is where classic "start in a tavern" tropes really shine, because they can help players gauge how much the world they know has changed.

The trope I'd pick here is "Fallout." The first session needs to start by explaining to the PCs that they have been out of touch with the world for a long time. The next thing is to shock them with the unfamiliar so they can begin their process of becoming familiar again. Last, connect them first to the thing that has changed the least: send them to the local tavern for information. Here, they can get a feel for what the world has become through its connection to what it was.

Have an elven bard in the tavern. An old elven bard wasn't alive 1000 years ago, but his parents and grandparents likely were. Such a spectator would remember when the world was green and the sun once would shine brightly.

KindOfGoodGuy
2017-04-02, 02:44 PM
Duly noted! Thank you.

PaucaTerrorem
2017-04-02, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a fun campaign. Only questions are how do the druids cast if that God is dead? Is it off of residual magic? If so, is there a limit that could be broken?

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-02, 07:21 PM
For me, the most important part of introducing new concepts is starting with something old and familiar. This is where classic "start in a tavern" tropes really shine, because they can help players gauge how much the world they know has changed.

The trope I'd pick here is "Fallout." The first session needs to start by explaining to the PCs that they have been out of touch with the world for a long time. The next thing is to shock them with the unfamiliar so they can begin their process of becoming familiar again. Last, connect them first to the thing that has changed the least: send them to the local tavern for information. Here, they can get a feel for what the world has become through its connection to what it was.

Have an elven bard in the tavern. An old elven bard wasn't alive 1000 years ago, but his parents and grandparents likely were. Such a spectator would remember when the world was green and the sun once would shine brightly.

An elf might not have been around that long, but a warforged could. Maybe it was an attendant of the pods, or a groundskeeper for the old druids.

KindOfGoodGuy
2017-04-03, 01:02 AM
Sounds like a fun campaign. Only questions are how do the druids cast if that God is dead? Is it off of residual magic? If so, is there a limit that could be broken?

I should have explained that earlier. Their ability to use nature magic can be seen as the Druid version of a sorcerer, which is why they were chosen in the first place. The nature deity saw potential in them and imbued them with the ability to draw nature energy out from within themselves. Just like a tree, they would need to cultivate that power if they wanted to turn it into something strong. This is also the justification as to why there are no other Druids. If one comes about and tries to use nature magic, the forests and the land around them just don't have anything to give in excess for magical spells, since all it has left is allocated to self-preservation.