PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Weretouched Master and Kensai questions

Thunder Crush
2017-04-02, 02:17 PM
One of the characters I'm working on for an upcoming game is a shapeshifter. However, my GM is still kinda new and keeping track of all those forms is a pain for both of us. So, I've decided to limit the character's shapeshifting to a small number of other forms. I found the shifter handbook and the Weretouched Master caught my attention. I need convince my GM to let me use the pre-errata version because the errata'd version isn't worth using compared to other choices like Primeval and Bear Warrior. I was planning on Ranger 4/Weretouched Master (Tiger) 5/Warshaper 4/Kensai 7 for my character but I have a lot of questions that need answered before I can begin:

Weretouched Master Questions (using pre-errata Alternate Form):
-Is being in Alternate Form considered "shifting"?

-How long does Alternate Form last? Is using it a Free Action?

-Do my shifter feats still work in Alternate Form? How about class features like Weretouched I and II?

-Can I stack normal shifting and Alternate Form?

Kensai and Natural Attacks Question:
-The shifter handbooks say that Improved Natural Attack counts as a shifter feat. Where is this stated?

-Shifters only have natural weapons for a limited time per day. Is this going to be problem when trying to do the 24 hour meditation to enchant the Kensai's Signature Weapon?

-If I make my claws my Signature Weapon, do the weapon properties carry over across different forms? In other words are Razorclaw shifter claws, Hybrid Alternate Form claws, Animal Alternate Form claws all considered to be the same pair of claws as far as the Kensai class is concerned?

-If my Kensai has the Rake special attack and enchants his claws attacks, will the Rake claw attacks also gain the benefits of his Signature Weapon?

-If my Kensai enchants multiple natural weapons with the Lucky weapon property (or another weapon property with limited uses per day), do I get one reroll per natural weapon or am I still only allowed one reroll per day?

-Any recommendations for weapon properties to put on my claws? With Kensai 7, I'm considering +1 Magebane, Transmuting, Corrosive, Earth Elemental Power (+1 version) claws as my Signature Weapon.

And here is one more random question:
-Are there any deities that have Claw or Bite as a favored weapon and if no, would unarmed strike work as a favored weapon instead?

Thunder Crush
2017-04-03, 03:40 PM
Anyone have any answers? I'm sure someone played pre-errata Weretouched Master or Kensai with natural weapons before.

Hogsy
2017-04-04, 10:39 AM
If you read the class features carefully, you'll find all the answers you're looking for.

Alternate Form (Su): At 5th level, a weretouched
master can assume the animal form or hybrid form related
to his lycanthrope heritage (the same animal selected at 1st
level). Instead of using his normal shifting ability, he can
shift into animal form as though using the polymorph spell
on himself, though his gear is not affected, he does not
regain hit points for changing form, and only the specifi c
animal form indicated for the lycanthrope heritage can
be assumed.

It's a free action to enter, since it is "instead of using his normal shifting ability", and lasts either for the duration of a Polymorph spell where CL = weretouched levels or for the duration of your regular shifting ability. But, it's not shifting. It's a polymorph effect and as thus all effects relating to shifting do not work with it. If your DM goes as far as to allow you the pre-errata version, he might as well let the Alternate Form count as Shifting.

As far as the Kensai is considered,

The answer to your first question, RAW, is probably no. But just consult with your DM, and he'll probably allow it. Make the argument that a Shifter's claws are part of themselves regardless of their time limitation, and thus they can meditate "on them" as far as Kensai is considered.

The razorclaw claws, the alternate form claws (hybrid or animal) are different claws. But once again, your DM may rule otherwise. Just ask them. Or ask them if you can at least manifest your razorclaw claws while in alternate form instead of the animal's regular claws. That way, you get your signature weapon in any form for a limited number of time per day.

Rake attacks are the same as your claw attacks.

Claws count as one natural weapon, so you only get one reroll per day.

Take a look at this (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/magweapon-ability.shtml)list and pick whatever fits your character and campaign setting best.

Finally, this is a website with a list (http://ftm3.altervista.org/ASMoNM/FavoredWeapons.html)of deities and their favored weapons. Quite a few of them have claws as theirs.

The Viscount
2017-04-04, 05:14 PM
Shifter feats are kept in Alternate Form. Whether the feats activate will depend on whether alternate form counts as a use of shifting. I'll admit it's unclear, but the text around it seems to suggest that it does count as shifting, but frightful shifting suggests against it. Worst case scenario, nothing prevents you from shifting while in alternate form. If alternate form counts as shifting you might not be allowed to shift as well, but as is I see nothing in the rules preventing you from shifting and using alternate form at the same time.

Improved Natural Attack is mentioned as a shifter feat in Eberron Campaign setting.