PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quicken Spell of Custom Magic Item

citabogue
2017-04-02, 04:28 PM
Hi, iam using the rules of custom magic item from the DMG resumed in in the SRD. I am looking to create an item that allow to cast alter self as a swift or free action.
If there any way to achieve that? I was thinking about adding Quicken Spell into it but can't find a price for that. Any suggestion or price for Quicken Spell with reference plzz.

So far it would be something like Spell level (2) x Caster level (3) x command word (1800) x 5 charges/day (5/5=1) = 2x3x1800x(5/5)=10 800 GP. Now I want to know how much more it would cost to make it a swift command word?

Venger
2017-04-02, 04:44 PM
Hi, iam using the rules of custom magic item from the DMG resumed in in the SRD. I am looking to create an item that allow to cast alter self as a swift or free action.
If there any way to achieve that? I was thinking about adding Quicken Spell into it but can't find a price for that. Any suggestion or price for Quicken Spell with reference plzz.

So far it would be something like Spell level (2) x Caster level (3) x command word (1800) x 5 charges/day (5/5=1) = 2x3x1800x(5/5)=10 800 GP. Now I want to know how much more it would cost to make it a swift command word?

you could just treat it as a 6th lvl spell instead of a 2. alter self is a 2, quicken is a +4, so you could calculate the price that way:

spell level 6 x cl 11 x command word 1800 x 5 charges/day (5/5)
that comes to 118,800gp. really expensive.

citabogue
2017-04-02, 05:00 PM
you could just treat it as a 6th lvl spell instead of a 2. alter self is a 2, quicken is a +4, so you could calculate the price that way:

spell level 6 x cl 11 x command word 1800 x 5 charges/day (5/5)
that comes to 118,800gp. really expensive.

Do you have a reference for that +4 please?

And why would it jump to CL 11? i know a 6th level spell needs a caster level 11 but i thought it would be a CL 3 with effective spell level 6 something like that so 6*3*1800= 32 400

Der_DWSage
2017-04-02, 05:03 PM
Quicken Spell is a +4 Metamagic, making it essentially a 6th level spell. As you need to be 11th level to cast 6th level spells, the minimum caster level goes up as well.

Making items with high-level spells is rarely worth it, I'm afraid.

Venger
2017-04-02, 05:09 PM
Do you have a reference for that +4 please?

And why would it jump to CL 11? i know a 6th level spell needs a caster level 11 but i thought it would be a CL 3 with effective spell level 6 something like that so 6*3*1800= 32 400

quicken spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell)

when making a magic item, you need the cl set to (at minimum) the lowest level where you can legally cast the spell. with a 6, that's 11.

nyjastul69
2017-04-02, 06:41 PM
The formulas used in the magic item creation guidelines work very well in some cases e.g. wand and scrolls. In other cases, such as wonderous items, the formulas don't work as well. I think the best way to value a custom magic item is to look for a similar item and guage the price from that. The MIC can be helpful for this.

Calthropstu
2017-04-02, 08:04 PM
The formulas used in the magic item creation guidelines work very well in some cases e.g. wand and scrolls. In other cases, such as wonderous items, the formulas don't work as well. I think the best way to value a custom magic item is to look for a similar item and guage the price from that. The MIC can be helpful for this.

An alter self magic item using a standard action would be very reasonably priced using the rules.

In fact, you'd get the price of a hat of disguise with three uses per day. However:
He wants 5 uses per day
Swift actions

Which are increasing the price dramatically... and well it should. And if be wants it a slotless item?

Yeah, it's gonna cost a bit.

If he did swift action once a day on a slotted item, it would only be about 22,000. If he did 5 times per day as a standard, he'd get an item that was 66% more expensive than a hat of disguise.

nyjastul69
2017-04-02, 08:15 PM
An alter self magic item using a standard action would be very reasonably priced using the rules.

In fact, you'd get the price of a hat of disguise with three uses per day. However:
He wants 5 uses per day
Swift actions

Which are increasing the price dramatically... and well it should. And if be wants it a slotless item?

Yeah, it's gonna cost a bit.

If he did swift action once a day on a slotted item, it would only be about 22,000. If he did 5 times per day as a standard, he'd get an item that was 66% more expensive than a hat of disguise.

I don't think HoD is a fair comparison. HoD is based off an average 1st level spell. Alter Self is a strong 2nd level spell. A hat of alter self is far more valuable than a HoD, by a lot.

Calthropstu
2017-04-02, 08:57 PM
I don't think HoD is a fair comparison. HoD is based off an average 1st level spell. Alter Self is a strong 2nd level spell. A hat of alter self is far more valuable than a HoD, by a lot.

I thought hod used alter self. In that case, it would be more expensive.

Venger
2017-04-02, 09:50 PM
I thought hod used alter self. In that case, it would be more expensive.

hod uses disguise self.