PDA

View Full Version : Best feats for a druid 3.5

DBear2
2017-04-03, 01:52 AM
Alright so the dm from my 5e game wanted a break to fix his game cause in someway or another everybody broke it. He even broke it while trying to fix it. So now one of the other players is running a 3.5 game for a while. We started at 5th level so theres a few things i cant take back now but this is mostly for future reference. I'll be posting the details of my Druid character in another post here along with what kind of Druid i want to build him as.

eggynack
2017-04-03, 02:07 AM
My sigged handbook has good feats and such. General gist where the best feats are concerned is natural spell at 6th, some kinda wild shape form adding feat like aberration, dragon, or exalted wild shape (in that order), and then either greenbound or rashemi elemental summoning. Y'don't necessarily want to go that powerful, cause druids are amazingly strong, but those be some of the best feats you can pick.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-03, 02:29 AM
1st: Greenbound Summoning, Lost Empires of Faerun - You cast Summon Nature's Ally I for a Greenbound Dire Rat, the following turn it appears and immediately uses Wall of Thorns (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfThorns.htm) to make two 10-ft. square by 5 ft. tall obstacles that can be placed on occupied squares to trap opponents. The rat disappears on the next round but the Wall of Thorns lasts ten minutes. When you're higher level and the summons last longer they can spam Entangle as well. There's no minimum caster level for spell-like abilities. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities)

1st: Ashbound, Lost Empires of Faerun - Your Summon Nature's Ally spells get double the duration and your summoned creatures get +3 to their attack rolls.

3rd: Natural Bond, Complete Adventurer - Increases your effective Druid level for your animal companion's benefits by +3, but no higher than your character level. Get this at 3rd because at 4th level you can get a Fleshraker dinosaur (MM3) or a Dire Eagle (RoS) companion, both of which are normally Level -3, and that +3 brings you back up to your current level for its benefits.

6th: Natural Spell, Player's Handbook - "Wait, I'm confused — There are druids who DON'T take the Natural Spell feat?? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0354.html)"

9th+: Pretty much anything you want.

DBear2
2017-04-03, 02:30 AM
Note my DM gave us fixed amount of gold for equipment
Elf level 7
Str 14
Dex 13
Con 17
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 11
Hp 38 Ac 25 touch ac 16 flat footed ac 24
Fort 8 reflex 3 will 8 BAB 6 spell resist 16
Grapple 6 spell save 16 spell fail 50%
Concentration 11 Handle animal 8
Heal 7 Knowledge Nature 10
Spellcraft 6 Survival 11
Perception (dm combined spot search and listen) 11
Longbow, composite
Slaying arrow x1 (for when we go up against impossible odds)
Scimitar (wood handle)
Dragonhide Plate
Darkwood, heavy
Ring of protection +2
Never-ending quiver
x20 light cure wounds
*the next items he gave us for free
Hewards Handy Haversack
-50ft hemp rope
-20 torches
-flint and steel
-climbing equip.
-10 ft pole
-lanturn
-bed roll
-tent
-camping hatchet
*next is what i got over the past few games
Signet ring
x8 travelers rations (good)
3321 GP
Feats:
Animal Affinity
Combat Casting
Special Abilities:
Animal companion
Nature's sense
Wild empathy
Woodland stride
Teackless steps
Resist nature's lure
Wild shape (3/day)
Languages:
Comman, Elf, Druidic, Sylvian, Orc
Known spells:
Cantrips 6
1st level 5
2nd level 4
3rd level 3
4th level 1
Spells:
Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance, Flare, Know Direction, Calm Animals, Speak with Animals, Produce Flame, Detect snares and Pits, Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Flame Sphere, Call lightening, Magic Fang (greater), Cure Moderate Wounds
Thats what i have so far so if i can get some help on what feats to take next and other spells since i didn't pick new ones yet. I do have an animal companion.
I'm leaning towards a diplomatic druid who does most fighting with either his Longbow or in Wild Shape. As a second he would also be buffing himself and allies along with some light healing.
Thoughts and ideas everybody.
Also as a note the 5e game was my first experience playing DnD and I did die a lot so i have quite a bit of practice making new characters but being in a 3.5 game now would like to know what you guys think and would like this character to live throughout most of this campaign.
Thanks for taking time to look at this.

eggynack
2017-04-03, 03:30 AM
You allowed any sources besides core? If not, then, again, just pick up natural spell, and the remaining slots should be filled by some combo of augment summons, craft wondrous item, improved initiative, and maybe extend spell. Feats ain't too great in core. If so, depends on the source list.

Gruftzwerg
2017-04-03, 03:33 AM
If you intend to focus on wild shape combat forms, consider this:

- Monk's Belt: let's you count as monk 5 for unarmed dmg, AC & movement
- Beast Strike (feat): add claw dmg to your unarmed strikes

while the dmg bonus is minimal, you can now make full attacks with your unarmed-strike-claws = more attacks at later lvls (flurryable if you dip 1 lvl into monk for more attacks/round).
Note that this ain't good until you get your 3rd attack from high BaB, so you shouldn't rush it. Cause Claws normally give you 2 attacks at max BaB, ignoring your BaB value.

Inevitability
2017-04-03, 03:59 AM
Don't. Take. Animal. Affinity.

I can't stress this enough. It is a bad feat. As a druid, your Ride and Handle Animal rolls will be plenty: there's no need to give them a small bonus at the cost of a feat.

Similarly, don't take Combat Casting. How often are you in a situation where you're in melee, a 5 ft. step won't get you out of it, casting defensively is doomed to fail, moving away and enduring a single AoO isn't possible, and turning in a bear won't help?

weckar
2017-04-03, 04:13 AM
Combat casting is a common enough prereq feat for some really nifty things, though. There's certainly reasons to take it.

Also, very glad your steps will remain without teack while you hold your lanturn :smalltongue:

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 08:19 AM
Combat casting is a common enough prereq feat for some really nifty things, though. There's certainly reasons to take it.

Combat Casting is a prereq feat for some nifty arcane things. And it's still useless if you don't plan to take those things.
It's beyond useless on a druid, especially considering you can just wildshape into a flying form or one with reach (or both) and cast without provoking AoO.

weckar
2017-04-03, 08:23 AM
Is that true? I never thought those nifty things were limited to arcane casting specifically.

Coretron03
2017-04-03, 08:32 AM
Is that true? I never thought those nifty things were limited to arcane casting specifically.

I mainly see it used for entry to abjurant champion which is arcane only. I can't remember more specific stuff but I think alot of the stuff (that's good) is arcane only.

nyjastul69
2017-04-03, 08:53 AM

Also, very glad your steps will remain without teack while you hold your lanturn :smalltongue:

The only real reason to take combat casting is to meet a prerequisite. Skill focus (Concentration) is generally better as it adds +3 to all Concentration checks, not just casting on the defensive.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 09:24 AM
I mainly see it used for entry to abjurant champion which is arcane only. I can't remember more specific stuff but I think alot of the stuff (that's good) is arcane only.

It's a requirement for Abjurant Champion, Spellguard of Silverymoon and Spelldancer.
Spelldancer does work for druids, but druids aren't that big on persistomancy and going for DMM would be easier anyway.
The other stuff it qualifies you for is feats like Shielded Casting or similar situational low-value feats that aren't worth one feat slot, let alone two.

I don't recall any other nifty things that Combat Casting qualifies you for, especially not for druids, and even if there are the feat isn't worth a slot unless you actually plan on taking them.

Eladrinblade
2017-04-03, 10:15 AM
If I were playing a core human druid all the way to 20th, here's what I would take:

1: Track
1: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
3: Augment Summoning
6: Natural Spell
9: Heavy Armor Proficiency
12: Multiattack
15: Improved Unarmed Strike
18: Improved Grapple

Though granted I've never played a druid or even a spellcaster for that long, so who knows what I would actually do.
I realize its last three feats are best used while in bear form at mid to high level, and it gets them late, but eh.

DEMON
2017-04-03, 12:02 PM
If I were playing a core human druid all the way to 20th, here's what I would take:

1: Track
1: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
3: Augment Summoning
6: Natural Spell
9: Heavy Armor Proficiency
12: Multiattack
15: Improved Unarmed Strike
18: Improved Grapple

Though granted I've never played a druid or even a spellcaster for that long, so who knows what I would actually do.
I realize its last three feats are best used while in bear form at mid to high level, and it gets them late, but eh.

Hmm, why Track, if I may ask? Or Heavy Armor Prof, for that matter?

Even in core, I'd say there are better option for Druids. I'd pick Awesome Blow, Cleave or Blind-Fight, or perhaps a crafting feat (Craft Wand?) over these for a core Druid.

ATHATH
2017-04-03, 12:07 PM
The only real reason to take combat casting is to meet a prerequisite. Skill focus (Concentration) is generally better as it adds +3 to all Concentration checks, not just casting on the defensive.
Do note that Skill Focus(Concentration) is still horrendously bad; Combat Casting just happens to be worse.

Also, seconding swapping out Animal Affinity. It's worse than even Combat Casting.

lord_khaine
2017-04-03, 12:21 PM
Hmm, why Track, if I may ask? Or Heavy Armor Prof, for that matter?

I would say track is a solid feat choice for someone who got survival as a class skill, and access to scent. It adds utility to a class with enough combat options.

DEMON
2017-04-03, 01:15 PM
I would say track is a solid feat choice for someone who got survival as a class skill, and access to scent. It adds utility to a class with enough combat options.

Even though I am a big huge Ranger fan, I find this skill mostly useless (though that may depend on the actual gaming group).

And even if it was a decent feat choice, there are animal companions that can save you a feat, since they have the feat as well as bonus on Survival.

ApologyFestival
2017-04-03, 01:33 PM
The value of Survival and Track really depends on the optimisation level of the campaign, or more accurately the DM's experience with the game system. Track is completely shut down by quite a few things, most notably pass without trace, a core first-level spell with a long duration.

From personal experience, both as a DM and a player, anything worth tracking is immune to being tracked. I would not recommend investing in Survival, and would not spend a valuable feat on Track.

Venger
2017-04-03, 02:12 PM
It's a requirement for Abjurant Champion, Spellguard of Silverymoon and Spelldancer.
Spelldancer does work for druids, but druids aren't that big on persistomancy and going for DMM would be easier anyway.
The other stuff it qualifies you for is feats like Shielded Casting or similar situational low-value feats that aren't worth one feat slot, let alone two.

I don't recall any other nifty things that Combat Casting qualifies you for, especially not for druids, and even if there are the feat isn't worth a slot unless you actually plan on taking them.

it's also famously a tax for sacred fist, which is why duskblade is a popular method of entry.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 02:16 PM
it's also famously a tax for sacred fist, which is why duskblade is a popular method of entry.

Sacred Fist is divine-only, so why would you enter with 2 levels of Duskblade?

Venger
2017-04-03, 02:46 PM
Sacred Fist is divine-only, so why would you enter with 2 levels of Duskblade?

if you're doing sacrilegious fist, which is pretty much the only way I ever see anyone use sacred fist: Monk 2/Duskblade 3/Ur-Priest 2/Sacred Fist 10/Enlightened Fist 3

lord_khaine
2017-04-03, 04:28 PM
he value of Survival and Track really depends on the optimisation level of the campaign, or more accurately the DM's experience with the game system. Track is completely shut down by quite a few things, most notably pass without trace, a core first-level spell with a long duration.

From personal experience, both as a DM and a player, anything worth tracking is immune to being tracked. I would not recommend investing in Survival, and would not spend a valuable feat on Track.

I on the other hand has seen a lot of use for it, especially combined with scent to make it more useable in buildings ect. Not everyone or everything has access to Pass without trace. Or know it needs to use it at the time the party is tracking it.

if you're doing sacrilegious fist, which is pretty much the only way I ever see anyone use sacred fist: Monk 2/Duskblade 3/Ur-Priest 2/Sacred Fist 10/Enlightened Fist 3

Main problem with that is if you want to be good.

Venger
2017-04-03, 04:58 PM
I on the other hand has seen a lot of use for it, especially combined with scent to make it more useable in buildings ect. Not everyone or everything has access to Pass without trace. Or know it needs to use it at the time the party is tracking it.

Main problem with that is if you want to be good.
I guess. are there a lot of good-only prcs that fill that niche?

like with people who want to be nonevil assassins, it's a pretty trivial fix. the same way the avenger exists, there's really nothing that ought to require an ur-priest to be evil. even if you are in an fr game where atheism is Evil, you could just have your guy worship a pretty obscure Good god no one had ever heard of, an explicitly allowed option in ur-priest's fluff.

Eladrinblade
2017-04-03, 06:46 PM
Druids are by far the best trackers in core. First off, you get nature sense right off the bat. Then you have a high wisdom that rangers typically don't have. Granted you don't get as many of the synergy skills as rangers, but you do get a scent-tracking animal companion immediately, and can wildshape yourself at 5th. The rules don't talk about tracking while mounted or flying, but a 5th level druid can turn into an eagle with a speed of 80ft. That ignores terrain difficulty and can move half speed at 40ft per round (maybe, dunno about the minimum forward speed on an eagle).

Heavy armor proficiency so you can get that sweet wild dragonhide full-plate. One feat for an extra 3 AC? I'd say it's worth it.

Venger
2017-04-03, 07:22 PM
Druids are by far the best trackers in core. First off, you get nature sense right off the bat. Then you have a high wisdom that rangers typically don't have. Granted you don't get as many of the synergy skills as rangers, but you do get a scent-tracking animal companion immediately, and can wildshape yourself at 5th. The rules don't talk about tracking while mounted or flying, but a 5th level druid can turn into an eagle with a speed of 80ft. That ignores terrain difficulty and can move half speed at 40ft per round (maybe, dunno about the minimum forward speed on an eagle).

Heavy armor proficiency so you can get that sweet wild dragonhide full-plate. One feat for an extra 3 AC? I'd say it's worth it.

Why would you care about armor, though? If you need a good AC, turn into an ankylosaurus or elephant or something. as a druid, even with wild armor, your AC's not going to be a priority. you're better off investing in a cloak of minor displacement like everyone else. it certainly isn't worth a feat.

eggynack
2017-04-03, 08:00 PM
Why would you care about armor, though? If you need a good AC, turn into an ankylosaurus or elephant or something. as a druid, even with wild armor, your AC's not going to be a priority. you're better off investing in a cloak of minor displacement like everyone else. it certainly isn't worth a feat.
Yeah, if you want AC on a druid, there're ways to do that and they have nothing to do with wild armor. Monk's belt, luminous armor, high AC forms, wisdom boosters to increase the utility of the belt, maybe something like bark skin if you're going deep, even higher AC forms by way of form adding feats (frigging meteor dragon). Druids can do AC good and cheap. If it's what you want, you can do it, and even if it's not what you want you'll probably do it to some extent anyway (just desmodu hunting bat with luminous armor gets you to 29 AC against melee attacks by level five, if you want), but this isn't the way it gets done when you're doing it.

Eladrinblade
2017-04-03, 08:03 PM
(just desmodu hunting bat with luminous armor gets you to 29 AC against melee attacks by level five, if you want)

*sniff*

*sniff sniff*

...gouda

eggynack
2017-04-03, 08:18 PM
*sniff*

*sniff sniff*

...gouda
Feh. It's a spell being used just as intended with an ability being used in its most mundane possible way (taking the form of an animal and not making use of Ex special qualities), all for the end goal of a good armor class. That's about as far as it gets from cheese where druids are concerned.

Edit: Also, keep in mind, the OP is explicitly seeking the best. Heavy armor proficiency is ridiculously far from that goal. Even in a core environment.

Troacctid
2017-04-03, 08:30 PM

Prestige classes that can advance Druid casting and have Combat Casting as a prerequisite:

Prestige Class
Source

Battleguard of Tempus
D317

Battlepriest of Cormyr
D307

Combat Medic
HB

Enlightened Fist, Divine
CAr

Force Missile Mage
DC

Halruaan Magehound
ShS

Mage-Killer
Mag

Rage Mage
CW

Raumathari Battlemage
Una

Sacred Fist
CD

Serpent Slayer
SK

Spelldancer
Mag

Warpriest
CD

Zhentarim Skymage
LD

The value of Survival and Track really depends on the optimisation level of the campaign, or more accurately the DM's experience with the game system. Track is completely shut down by quite a few things, most notably pass without trace, a core first-level spell with a long duration.

Prestige classes that advance Druid casting and require Track:

Prestige Class
Source

Abolisher
LoM

Agent Retriever
EL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/agentRetriever.htm)

Arvoreen's Keeper
D321

Cave Stalker
D292

Cyran Avenger
FN (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050707b&page=2)

Green Hunter
D294

Master of the Yuirwood
Una

Prestige Ranger
UA (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger)

Windwalker
FP

Witch Hunter
OA/D318