PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Runepriest (Martial Archetype)

Arkhios
2017-04-03, 05:28 AM
I imagine there are several iterations of Runepriest, but I just got an idea, and decided to have a go at it and see how it could unfold.

A thread elsewhere made me realize that the Eldritch Knight chassis could work reasonably well with the concept.

Taking inspiration from the Inquisitor I made a while back, I'd make it Wisdom based 1/3rd divine spellcaster, but instead of cleric spell list, I was thinking it could use druid's spell list, being limited to transmutation and maybe abjuration spells, except for the few spells they could choose from any school.
I made the decision to create a whole spell-list for the archetype from scratch, because there are quite a bit of unneccessary spells in both the cleric's and druid's spell-lists, with the theme considered.

I was thinking to modify Bonded Weapon feature as the Rune Scribing feature which you would use to enhance your equipment with runes, "borrowed" from the apparently scrapped prestige class Rune Scribe.

Rune Scribe <WIP>.
At 3rd level, you learn a ritual to attune yourself with a magical rune on a piece of equipment of your choice. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The piece of equipment must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you inscribe a rune on the surface of the item and enhance it with primal magic while at the same time you attune yourself with it. Once you have inscribed a rune into an item, the item cannot be destroyed by any means, as long as the rune remains intact, until you finish a short or long rest or until it has been depleted, whichever comes first.
You can attune to a number of runes up to to your Intelligence modifier, but can only concentrate on one rune's effect at a time. You can change your concentration between inscribed runes as a bonus action on your turn.
<The runes will be modeled after the Runes from the Rune Scribe Unearthed Arcana, with the possibility of attuning with runes from>

Spellcasting. <While I think I'll use druid's spell list, I think it could be alright if the spells themselves were flavored more towards clerical spells, or somewhere between druid and cleric. What do you think?>

I'll have to update this post further later, but in the meantime, if you have ideas, let's hear them!