PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Hex

Damndwarf
2017-04-03, 05:36 AM
The spell HEX says it lasts for 1 hour, my question is if cast in combat and that combat ends, what happens to the spell when the warlock hasn't lost concentration on his Hex spell and the combat lasted only 1-2 minutes, then 30 mins or so later another combat begins, can the warlock say he's still concentrating on his last hex spell so doesn't have to recast it? or..?

Sirdar
2017-04-03, 05:47 AM
The spell HEX says it lasts for 1 hour, my question is if cast in combat and that combat ends, what happens to the spell when the warlock hasn't lost concentration on his Hex spell and the combat lasted only 1-2 minutes, then 30 mins or so later another combat begins, can the warlock say he's still concentrating on his last hex spell so doesn't have to recast it? or..?

Yes! But he can only switch to a new target if the prevoius target was killed.

Lombra
2017-04-03, 06:19 AM
You would need a "clipboard" creature to transfer the hex to and then kill it to target another creature while you are concentrating on it.

Millstone85
2017-04-03, 06:47 AM
You would need a "clipboard" creature to transfer the hex to and then kill it to target another creature while you are concentrating on it.Also known as a "bag of rats" trick.

But I am not sure it is needed, as "on a subsequent turn of yours" might give more freedom than "on your next turn".

Sirdar
2017-04-03, 06:47 AM
You would need a "clipboard" creature to transfer the hex to and then kill it to target another creature while you are concentrating on it.

No, there is no need for that. Any subsequent turn will do.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

Lombra
2017-04-03, 10:39 AM
Also known as a "bag of rats" trick.

But I am not sure it is needed, as "on a subsequent turn of yours" might give more freedom than "on your next turn".

No, there is no need for that. Any subsequent turn will do.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

Well that makes sense and makes hex much more valueable, thanks for the clarification!

Millstone85
2017-04-03, 12:16 PM
Well that makes sense and makes hex much more valueable, thanks for the clarification!It helps a little with the warlock's delicate spell slot economy.

Coidzor
2017-04-03, 03:20 PM

Nah, you can have a melee attack knock them out too, and it's not nearly so draconian that you have to select a new one on the next round.

NecroDancer
2017-04-03, 05:18 PM
Do people notice if they got hexed?

Naanomi
2017-04-03, 06:09 PM
Do people notice if they got hexed?
They notice if they are the first target (by noticing their spellcasting) but no, nothing indicates that the spell has notable effects on 'transfer' to a new target. Heck, queuing it to 'wisdom' to knock out passive perception and aid stealth is a great use of hex

NecroDancer
2017-04-04, 08:56 AM
Thanks, I wasn't entirely sure on that.