PDA

View Full Version : Optimization ASI or feat for Bladesinger\Rogue

EDL
2017-04-03, 05:52 AM
Hi! Looking for help from more experienced players.

I'm trying to choose ASI or feat for my character at lvl 13 (rogue 8 / bladesinger 5).
Stats: 8 - 18 - 16 - 19 (headband of int) - 12 - 10, resilent (CON)

I'm thinking about following options:
1. Dex +2 - pretty obvious one, +1 to AC is allways nice, +1 to hit is ok (though +9 is fine allready), +1 to saving throws and skills is also good (though i feel comfortable with current ones)
2. Tough - he's staying in front line a lot, using his high AC and plenty of defencive reaction options, so extra HP can be allways good
3. Lucky - the chance to reroll saving throw for some save-or-die effect seems cool, especially with low Wis\Cha saving throws.
4. idk, i'm sure im missing something

I'll be grateful for any help\advice

P.S. It's an AL character, so no UE and homebrew allowed

djreynolds
2017-04-03, 06:25 AM

I'm trying to choose ASI or feat for my character at lvl 13 (rogue 8 / bladesinger 5).

1. Dex +2 - pretty obvious one, +1 to AC is allways nice, +1 to hit is ok (though +9 is fine allready), +1 to saving throws and skills is also good (though i feel comfortable with current ones)
2. Tough - he's staying in front line a lot, using his high AC and plenty of defencive reaction options, so extra HP can be allways good
3. Lucky - the chance to reroll saving throw for some save-or-die effect seems cool, especially with low Wis\Cha saving throws.

It might be a waste, but war caster would be nice for AoO with BB and SA. But you have resilient con already.

But with your abilities, you could consider mage slayer if the DM is throwing a lot of those at you... wizards would cringe at your presence. Also helps out on saves if you are close enough

But 2 points in con will affect HP, saves and concentration 26hp or 13 hp it is a bigger difference than you think

Citan
2017-04-03, 10:08 AM

Hi!
My personal opinion is that your stats are fine as is for your current level. And you have many great feats for you. Depends on your usual tactic.

- Running all around with Haste and striking with Booming Blade? >> Warcaster: totally sure you will never be stunned by spell break, and even better damage on opportunity attacks.

- Running all around using TWF? Mobile may prove a great feat for you with its extra speed and free disengage.

- Sticking in the front lines and playing tank? Tough will be a good choice indeed, although +2 CON is another decent choice.

- Sticking in the front line with a friend? Sentinel will be gravy (note that the "reaction attack" is triggered by "attacks": weapon and spell attacks, melee and ranged attacks: great way to finish off a creature early).

- Often bothered by casters? Mage Slayer will made you loved (well, even more than before) than party, especially since you have great mobility.

- You are not really sure about any of above? Lucky will always help. Not the most "classy" or character-defining, but you will usually find a chance to use those three rerolls each day, everyday. :)

Biggstick
2017-04-03, 12:16 PM
+2 Dexterity as the offensive option.

Lucky as the utility option.

Whichever way you go, you'll be able to grab a feat in another 2 (if you go for Rogue 10) or 3 (if you go for Wizard 8) levels. Personally I'd go with the Lucky feat, as the creatures you're going to start running into are throwing some pretty crazy effects at you that you don't want to fail the save for.

Navigator
2017-04-05, 02:08 AM
Sentinel will get you a lot more OAs and that means a big increase in damage output. All you have to do is be the least attractive target to swing at and you're golden.

You'll also see more mileage out of the +2 Dex than most Rogues if you take Bladesinger to 6 because of extra attack, so capping Dex is certainly not a bad choice.

On the off chance you're a Thief instead of Arcane Trickster, Healer would be great for bonus action kit uses.