PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Practical and actual limits of "Alter Reality"?

Schattenbach
2017-04-03, 12:35 PM
I'm somewhat curious about what the actual limits of "Alter Reality" are and in what ways it is otherwise restricted in its use for practical reasons (the most sensible reason for it being practically restricted would be if other deities don't take it well when some deities that don't have that specific portfolio and/or domain they're currently interfering with use their Salient Divine abilities to mess around with things than they have nothing to do with as deities)?

One obvious actual restriction is that it has somewhat bad action economy when compared to spellcasting and such (and at level 40/50/60/70 ... its competing with staffs and at-will 9th or higherspell level items, possibly with tons of metamagic attached to it ... and with WBL in the billions, its not like their price is much of an issue much longer) and that the phrase "The duplicated spell has no material or XP component" would imply (as opposed to other, more unrestricted, wordings like "The spell functions as it normally would and is expended normally, but the dweomerkeeper does not require any components, does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and ignores the target’s spell resistance, just as if she were using a supernatural ability instead of a spell.") that spells with variable EXP components either don't work (as it would be the case with, for example, true creation, etc.) or that those parts of the spell cannot be used (i.e. for example, some of the functions of Wish, like its item creation/item improvement function ... which seems quite sensible, as some other parts of its function are, actually, object and creature creation)?

Did I miss anything else?

Thanks in advance.

AthasianWarlock
2019-05-29, 11:14 PM
So there are pretty clear limits as noted in 'Notes'. It can duplicate any 9th level or lower spell. It can duplicate any spell with a metamagic feat (debatable if that means you could have multiple metamagics or not). You can make any spell of SU effect permanent. I take this to mean any SP, SU, or spell effect. The other effects are as creation salient abilities with the exception of the landscape one. That doesn't appear to have any restrictions.
Edit:
What is kinda dumb is that wish with no xp let's you make anything except artifacts, but then it gives a bunch of rules for creating things.

MisterKaws
2019-05-30, 05:53 AM
What is kinda dumb is that wish with no xp let's you make anything except artifacts, but then it gives a bunch of rules for creating things.

To be fair, there's not much difference between 100th-level items and artifacts.

Mike Miller
2019-05-30, 06:27 PM
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.

Thread Necromancy forever