PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [D&D 3.5] Making an Army With Summon Monster

Tsunamiatunzen1
2017-04-03, 01:30 PM
I've been building up a Raptoran Cleric with its racial ACF with an emphasis on summoning air elementals. I've decided to go the route of using 'Persistent Spell' with the 'Divine Metamagic' feat on Summon Monster and later on apply the metamagic 'Repeat Spell'. I'll need to work out how to get enough turning attempts to make it work, but that's not what I'm after.
The BIG question is this:
If you use Divine Metamagic on both Persistent Spell and Repeat Spell with Summon Monster, temporarily ignoring the massive turn undead cost involved, would Repeat Spell give you another Persistent Summon Monster Spell or just a normal Summon Monster?
I'm also looking for as many ways to summon a bunch of Air Elementals that stick around without having to resort to Planar Ally, though I'll probably use it when I have the resources to do so.

So far, the feats that I have lined up to give me the most bang for my Summon Monster buck is this:
Persistent Spell with Divine Metamagic
Repeat Spell (Divine Metamagic preferred)
Residual Spell [CM]
Summon Elemental [CM] (For those times that I just absolutely NEED 1 more elemental without spending slots)
Elemental Healing (Gotta keep the army from dying somehow right?)

Is there any other way to make this Air Elemental army meaner or more cost effective?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-04-03, 01:44 PM
Repeat and Persist do work as you'd expect: both spell effects have their duration set to 24h. Repeating Persistent summon monster I summons two monsters for 24 hours.

Summoning benefits from a number of feats: Augment Elemental, Augment Summoning, Imbued Summoning, Rashemi Elemental Summoning. The latter adds a cone of cold SLA to each elemental you summon, CL = HD, so very potent. See this guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11186) for more information.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 02:05 PM
Summon Monster is not a legal target for Persistent Spell because it doesn't have a fixed range and is not personal.

noob
2017-04-03, 02:08 PM
Do you have the right to spelldancer?
There is 100 rounds per hour so with two hours of preparations you can apply a total of 200 levels of metamagic to various summon monster spells(so you can do stuff like persisted maximized extended twinned repeating summon monster of the maximum level you have access to)

Venger
2017-04-03, 02:09 PM
I've been building up a Raptoran Cleric with its racial ACF with an emphasis on summoning air elementals. I've decided to go the route of using 'Persistent Spell' with the 'Divine Metamagic' feat on Summon Monster and later on apply the metamagic 'Repeat Spell'. I'll need to work out how to get enough turning attempts to make it work, but that's not what I'm after.
The BIG question is this:
If you use Divine Metamagic on both Persistent Spell and Repeat Spell with Summon Monster, temporarily ignoring the massive turn undead cost involved, would Repeat Spell give you another Persistent Summon Monster Spell or just a normal Summon Monster?
I'm also looking for as many ways to summon a bunch of Air Elementals that stick around without having to resort to Planar Ally, though I'll probably use it when I have the resources to do so.

So far, the feats that I have lined up to give me the most bang for my Summon Monster buck is this:
Persistent Spell with Divine Metamagic
Repeat Spell (Divine Metamagic preferred)
Residual Spell [CM]
Summon Elemental [CM] (For those times that I just absolutely NEED 1 more elemental without spending slots)
Elemental Healing (Gotta keep the army from dying somehow right?)

Is there any other way to make this Air Elemental army meaner or more cost effective?
couple things:
1) summon monster x is not a legal target for persisting. you need to make its range fixed first. the simplest way to do this is ocular spell
2) use the halaster's fetch line. it's summon monster but 3lvls higher, and the monsters don't disappear at the end, though they do go free willed, so you could bargain with them or rebuke them if you've got the air domain or similar.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 02:11 PM
1) summon monster x is not a legal target for persisting. you need to make its range fixed first. the simplest way to do this is ocular spell

Ocular Spell doesn't work on Summon Monster either.

Only ray spells and spells with a target other than personal can be cast as ocular spells.
Summon Monster spells have no target line, so they're not valid targets for Ocular spell.

Inevitability
2017-04-03, 02:15 PM
As said above, persisting summons is a no-no, but maybe you could get a psion cohort (or pull of some crazy psionic theurge build) and have them make a few large quintessence baths? Summon creatures, cover them with the goop, pull them out when combat begins, and quickly herd them back in afterwards. Assuming you're level 12 (as the feats imply), one spell slot should last for several combats.

Venger
2017-04-03, 02:17 PM
As said above, persisting summons is a no-no, but maybe you could get a psion cohort (or pull of some crazy psionic theurge build) and have them make a few large quintessence baths? Summon creatures, cover them with the goop, pull them out when combat begins, and quickly herd them back in afterwards. Assuming you're level 12 (as the feats imply), one spell slot should last for several combats.

or just use the halaster's fetch line and do all these things. or mind control the targets once your period of control expires.

noob
2017-04-03, 02:23 PM
Halaster fetch have the huge disadvantage of creating creature 3 levels lower than what you could have with a regular summon(and it is also weaker than a creature summoned with planar binding).

Tsunamiatunzen1
2017-04-03, 03:00 PM
Rats, you are all correct with not being able to use persistent on Summon Monster.
I'll scratch that out. At the very least it solves some of my planning problems.
No, this character is only lvl. 1 but the DM is planning for this to go Epic. Just trying to figure out how to make the most of summoning air elementals.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-03, 03:13 PM
Rats, you are all correct with not being able to use persistent on Summon Monster.
I'll scratch that out. At the very least it solves some of my planning problems.
No, this character is only lvl. 1 but the DM is planning for this to go Epic. Just trying to figure out how to make the most of summoning air elementals.

Rashemi Elemental Summoning from Unapproachable East is probably the best feat for elemental summoning.
It works on Storm Elementals (MM3) too, and those are a lot meaner than mere air elementals.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2017-04-03, 03:22 PM
The idea with the air elementals is the fact that I can summon small Air elementals as early as lvl. 3 because of the Raptoran ACF.
Storm Elementals certainly look like a worthwhile monster to take into account though, thanks!