PDA

View Full Version : Magical Branding for Indentured Servants?

Palanan
2017-04-03, 03:46 PM
I’m looking for ways to keep track of serfs and contract servants—people who wouldn’t be physically branded or put in chains, but whose employers would like some form of inventory control.

Are there spells which would provide some sort of long-term alteration to a person’s aura, or some other way to uniquely mark them for a number of years? And are there ways to keep track of them individually over long distances?

I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder content, including Dragon material. Ideally I’d like less expensive options, but I’ll take ideas from all corners.

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-03, 03:55 PM
Could always just brand them like cattle.

ATHATH
2017-04-03, 04:03 PM
Arcane Mark?

Zanos
2017-04-03, 04:05 PM
Pathfinder has dungeon rings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/dungeon-ring/).

3.5 has Master/Slave rings in the BoVD, which is more about punishment than monitoring, but still potentially useful. And Enslavement Rings in underdark, which let you detect thoughts on the wearers of the bound rings at will.

Palanan
2017-04-03, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ATHATH
Arcane Mark?

Good suggestion, but the spell specifies that the mark fades in a month when applied to a living being. I’m looking for a version that would last several years.

(Didn’t specify that in the OP, so fixing that now.)

Originally Posted by Zanos
Pathfinder has dungeon rings.

The dungeon rings are an interesting option, thanks.

One limitation I’ve run into with scrying spells, at least in my experience, is that while you can observe the subject’s immediate surroundings in detail, you don’t know where on a map the subject might be. The only way I know around this is to cast Circle Dance (from Magic of Faerûn) for a bearing, and then move as far as possible along a baseline to cast it a second time for an intersect.

Is there a more compact and elegant way to get distance and bearing for the target of a scrying spell?

Zanos
2017-04-03, 07:49 PM
Remote Viewing + Know Direction and Location should do it.

Oneris
2017-04-03, 07:52 PM
One limitation I’ve run into with scrying spells, at least in my experience, is that while you can observe the subject’s immediate surroundings in detail, you don’t know where on a map the subject might be. The only way I know around this is to cast Circle Dance (from Magic of Faerûn) for a bearing, and then move as far as possible along a baseline to cast it a second time for an intersect.

Is there a more compact and elegant way to get distance and bearing for the target of a scrying spell?

Weld a minder's coin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/coin-minders/) to their ring?

Gildedragon
2017-04-03, 10:39 PM
Iirc the slave ring can't be removed
So arcane mark that

Bullet06320
2017-04-04, 02:01 AM
Good suggestion, but the spell specifies that the mark fades in a month when applied to a living being. I’m looking for a version that would last several years.

create a higher level version of Arcane Mark?

Psyren
2017-04-04, 10:32 AM
I would use Bestow Curse. It's Permanent and you can devise your own; one of the listed uses is a stat penalty. A nice disfiguring mark that penalizes their Charisma should do the trick.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-04-04, 11:18 AM
Mark of Justice? It's certainly not using it as intended, but it is a permanent mark.

Ruethgar
2017-04-04, 12:10 PM
Would probably second the Bestow Curse such a potentially versatile spell. Arcane Mark on a cursed item also works well, I wouldn't suggest the item be a ring unless you go for BoEF rings, a collar or necklace(if you wanted to be more discreet) would be better. A ring they could chop off their fingers if they really wanted to avoid their fate, putting it on something more sensitive helps deter that.

Vogie
2017-04-04, 12:27 PM
create a higher level version of Arcane Mark?

Or permanency. There's also there's the Slave's Collar (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Slave Collar)from Pathfinder #65 with a permanent Telepathic Bond for the one holding the key to the collar, and the Agent's Clasp from Inner Sea Races (Taldan), which provides status & sending (but that is much more expensive, easily removable, and racist :smallannoyed:)

I think some sort of halfway item between the Dungeon/Jailer's Rings and Slaves collar could be templated with status and whatever other spell you want to have running, whether that be sending, discern location, et cetera

ATHATH
2017-04-04, 02:58 PM
Mark of Justice? It's certainly not using it as intended, but it is a permanent mark.
Ooh, this is a good one.

Can't Permanency be used on Arcane Mark? It might be a bit expensive, though...

Malroth
2017-04-04, 06:11 PM
Necrotic Cyst and Lesser Geass are both good for this sort of thing.

Nebuul
2017-04-05, 02:12 PM
Bestow Curse that Arcane Mark cannot ever fade or be removed from their flesh, then mark them. That is a more-than-appropriate power level for a curse.

souridealist
2017-04-05, 10:52 PM
Approaching it from the perspective of someone trying to mark people this way, you could just renew Arcane Mark regularly - just have a monthly or weekly day when everyone gets their forehead poked by a wizard. That would probably be the cheapest option, too.

Of course, if you're trying to have a character who escaped several years ago but is still hiding a mark, that isn't very helpful. I'd go with the Mark of Justice or homebrewed Greater Arcane Mark for that, like other people have said.

Deophaun
2017-04-06, 12:04 AM
If you're using arcane mark, you should be using dragoneye rune. Especially if you ever worry about your slaves trying to escape.

Castilonium
2017-04-06, 04:50 AM
Brand of Tracking (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/brand-of-tracking/) is permanent and lets you keep track of where the branded people are. No cost, and no homebrew or special rulings required.