PDA

View Full Version : Dark Thaumaturgy yes or no?

Longbow520
2017-04-03, 05:34 PM
I'm playing my first Vampire the masquerade game in about a week and iv been thinking about getting the Dark thaumaturgy path "Fires of the Inferno" primarily because then i could get "Call Forth the Host" and " Bind Familiar". The backdraw doesn't seem that big, it seems like an acceptable trade of.

sktarq
2017-04-03, 07:01 PM
Okay....you do know this will lead pretty much everyone to want to murder you. Assuming your ST plays a rough enough game to actually kill PC's. Even the Sabbat will kill you. They even have special groups dedicated to hunting you down*. The social cost is huge and hard to put down on a character sheet. But devil worship is something other vampires feel they have the moral high ground on, and indulge their worst over it.

Think you can hide it? Vs Auspex? Go ahead.

Generally I wouldn't recommend this even for advanced players but definitely not for a first go round.

* At least they did originally - I haven't kept up with the rereleases.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-04-04, 12:29 AM
Something to remember about WW's design in OWoD is that a sometimes things would cost mechanically and reward fluff or cost fluff and reward mechanically. Just because the mechanics behind Dark Thaumaturgy are not punishing does not mean the game designers felt that taking it would be a license for your ST to destroy you in a heartbeat (something they may very well do).

LibraryOgre
2017-04-04, 12:12 PM
The Mod Wonder: Thread already in Other Systems.