PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Wooden weapons

Avianmosquito
2017-04-03, 08:11 PM
Now, I know how to handle all-wooden weapons in Aelsif, because Aelsif handles weapon and armour materials really well, that's something I built it to do, but how would it be handled in other 3.5 settings if you had, for example, a properly sharpened wooden sword, like the one shown in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCjXZk-vzvg)video by Jeorg Sprave?

gooddragon1
2017-04-03, 09:11 PM
Now, I know how to handle all-wooden weapons in Aelsif, because Aelsif handles weapon and armour materials really well, that's something I built it to do, but how would it be handled in other 3.5 settings if you had, for example, a properly sharpened wooden sword, like the one shown in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCjXZk-vzvg)video by Jeorg Sprave?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuteMetalToWood.htm

This spell enables you to change all metal objects within its area to wood. Weapons, armor, and other metal objects carried by creatures are affected as well. A magic object made of metal effectively has spell resistance equal to 20 + its caster level against this spell. Artifacts cannot be transmuted. Weapons converted from metal to wood take a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. The armor bonus of any armor converted from metal to wood is reduced by 2. Weapons changed by this spell splinter and break on any natural attack roll of 1 or 2, and armor changed by this spell loses an additional point of armor bonus every time it is struck with a natural attack roll of 19 or 20.

This could be a baseline for it.

If you want to make them more effective this might work:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm

jqavins
2017-04-03, 10:09 PM
It depends greatly on a large number of factors, such as the species of wood, its seasoning and other treatment, and the design of the weapon or armor, just to name the biggies. Of course we all know that wooden clubs and quarterstaves are fine. Japanese bo ken, which are called swords, can kill but they do damage more like a staff; despite their shape and wielding style they have a dull edge and are really bludgeoning weapons. (Well, they're really practice swords, but if you want to actually fight then you're bludgeoning.) As the video showed very clearly, a wooden edged weapon could do some real damage, but is much less effective than a metal one and is not durable. There are harder woods, and I'm sure better fabrication techniques, but I seriously doubt any wooden sword, knife, or axe will really be much good. Not that I'd like to be poked with one.

As for armor, there are, if I'm not mistaken, traditional armors that use wood scales or bands. Plywood would surely be an improvement, since splitting is any wood's great weakness.

But in general, to make general rules for wood as a material for arbitrary weapon and armor types seems to me a fool's errand. There are such a great number of factors that you'd need a lot of rules for what is, in the end, in most cases, a lousy material for the job. Most of the familiar weapon and armor types would never have existed without metal to make them, and making them from wood would be a little like making a 1995 vintage PC out of discrete transistors.

khadgar567
2017-04-04, 05:57 AM
well that was educating to watch is aesif has some sort of wood singer caste who uses magic to grow and guide the wood in special shapes. If aesif has magic means to fine tune wood to their tastes you can use bunch of exotic wood names to replace metal equipment

Avianmosquito
2017-04-04, 06:15 AM
well that was educating to watch is aesif has some sort of wood singer caste who uses magic to grow and guide the wood in special shapes. If aesif has magic means to fine tune wood to their tastes you can use bunch of exotic wood names to replace metal equipment

Nah. Wooden weapons are toys and training implements, but if a kid is allowed to carry around a wooden sword and not a real one, they WILL find a way to sharpen it. (They'll do the same with a metal training sword as well.)

Lionheart2000
2017-04-04, 10:24 AM
testing my ability to post