PDA

View Full Version : Demon Question

Bartmanhomer
2017-04-03, 10:02 PM
What's the difference between succubus and inccubus?

torrasque666
2017-04-03, 10:09 PM
Same kind of demon, just female and male variants respectively.

CIDE
2017-04-03, 10:39 PM
As already mentioned just the male and female version of the same demon. I don't know of any stat differences between the two. As far as I know they're the only openly acknowledged demon with more than one gender. Makes me wonder about Male Erinyes and Marilith or female Pit Fiends and Balor out there.

Bad Wolf
2017-04-03, 11:03 PM
As already mentioned just the male and female version of the same demon. I don't know of any stat differences between the two. As far as I know they're the only openly acknowledged demon with more than one gender. Makes me wonder about Male Erinyes and Marilith or female Pit Fiends and Balor out there.

Erinyes are kind of their own seperate type of devil. They can't be promoted/demoted into that form, and the only way to make another is by breeding. Which heavily implies that there are males.

Thurbane
2017-04-03, 11:04 PM
AFAIK, the reference to Incubus in the MM was dropped from the 3.0 version to the 3.5 version...

Venger
2017-04-03, 11:29 PM

There are none. The block for succubus is the one for both. Due to their shapechanging ability, it's more or less a nonissue as well since they can trivially change sex.

Crake
2017-04-03, 11:50 PM
There are none. The block for succubus is the one for both. Due to their shapechanging ability, it's more or less a nonissue as well since they can trivially change sex.

Correct, as for other fiends, like the marilith, pit fiend and balor, referencing "gender" is meaningless. They are fiends, and they are what they are. A balor is no more a male than a gelatinous cube, it just is what it is.

Milo v3
2017-04-04, 09:13 AM
Sometimes they are separate, such as in Pathfinder. But generally they are just "the demon is deciding to appear male/female at the current moment".

hamishspence
2017-04-04, 09:54 AM
Dragon Magazine also had a separate version of the incubus (Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet article).

As did 4e's Demonomicon (succubi are devils in 4e).

Erinyes are kind of their own seperate type of devil. They can't be promoted/demoted into that form, and the only way to make another is by breeding. Which heavily implies that there are males.

And in Exemplars of Evil, we got to see one.

ShurikVch
2017-04-04, 11:38 AM
What's the difference between succubus and inccubus?
According to Savage Species - no difference (gender aside) - they share the same monstrous class

But article about Malcanthet have completely different Incubus, which doesn't resembling Succubus (but very much alike to Incubus in Pathfinder)https://trow.cc/board/uploads/post-11914-1188711338.jpg

Makes me wonder about Male Erinyes and Marilith or female Pit Fiends and Balor out there.Actually, there was some number of female Pit Fiends:
Lydzin (Hellbound: The Blood War, Lord of the Iron Fortress)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bJaT2h_luBI/VL-sxujB91I/AAAAAAAADRk/T1daXaIs5tM/s1600/184pitfiend3e.jpg

Baalzephon and Zimimar are, by some reports, female too; Utarla in 4e adventure Prince of Undeath

Verin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verin_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) in For Duty and Deity "can take the form of a male marilith"

Erinyes... Does Malkizid (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Malkizid) fit the bill?

AFAIK, there are no female Balors

hewhosaysfish
2017-04-04, 02:43 PM

For what it's worth, the 3.5 MM explicitly says that Erinyes resemble "very comely women or men".

CIDE
2017-04-06, 12:50 AM
Well, I certainly learned a few things in this thread.

Calthropstu
2017-04-06, 01:44 AM
Humm
They are quite different in PF.
And I recall them being very different in 2nd edition too.

Thurbane
2017-04-06, 02:45 AM
succubus (n.)
late 14c., alteration (after incubus, giving a masc. form to a word generally felt as of female meaning) of Late Latin succuba "strumpet," applied to a fiend (generally in female form) having sexual connection with men in their sleep, from succubare "to lie under," from assimilated form of sub "under" (see sub-) + cubare "to lie down" (see cubicle). Related: Succubine (adj.).

incubus (n.)
"imaginary being or demon, credited with causing nightmares, and, in male form, consorting with women in their sleep," c. 1200, from Late Latin incubus (Augustine), from Latin incubo "nightmare, one who lies down on (the sleeper)," from incubare "to lie upon" (see incubate). Plural is incubi. Compare succubus.

Looks like Incubi actually predate Succubi in folklore, at least according to the source above. This actually surprised me. :smalleek:

Great Velocity
2017-04-08, 08:01 PM
That's because Incubi were an explanation for why a woman's child looked nothing like the father.

atemu1234
2017-04-08, 08:25 PM
But article about Malcanthet have completely different Incubus, which doesn't resembling Succubus (but very much alike to Incubus in Pathfinder)https://trow.cc/board/uploads/post-11914-1188711338.jpg

Well, that's mostly because Paizo were the makers of Drag Mag as well as Pathfinder.