PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 3.5 mixed in and want to play a sorcerer

Jewrrick
2017-04-03, 11:05 PM
What are some things that are 3.5 exclusive that I can get into the game?

I am Looking at a crossblooded wildblooded Orc/Primal[fire] Sorcerer 19|Blood Arcanist 1 with the Draconic[red] bloodline. Use the Mutated bloodlines to get blood havoc and that nets me +4 damage per die on fire damage spells.

Looking mostly to abuse fireball and Delayed Blast Fireball.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-03, 11:52 PM
The feat Ancestral Relic (BoED) can get you a custom Runestaff (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070216a) (MIC p224) which basically allows you to completely circumvent the limited number of spells known.

Make your Ancestral Relic an Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow, which counts as both a quarterstaff and a bow, make it Masterwork three times, and put three Wand Chambers in it. You can eventually put +1 Defending on all three portions, put Greater Magic Weapon on each of those, and always apply all three bonuses to your AC since Defending stacks with all other bonuses including other Defending bonuses. Any time you're holding that you can activate any of the three wands it contains, be sure to get a Wand of Wings of Cover (RotD).

Not sure how the mechanics would interact with PF, but the feat Magical Training (PGtF) gives you a few 0-level spell slots and a spellbook which you've put a few 0-level spells into. Per the 3.5 Rules Compendium, you can add more spells to your spellbook via the same method a Wizard uses to learn spells. Combine this with the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD) and you can spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher, including spells you've copied into that spellbook. You'll probably need to have the spellbook open to the spell in question, so it's not very useful in combat, but this is another way to circumvent the limited number of spells known.

Sayt
2017-04-04, 12:03 AM
One the Pathfinder side: Have you considered Pyrophile Changeling?

On the 3.5: You're playing a fire sorcerer, you want Searing Spell (Ignore resistance, immuneity is half instead of none) from Sandstorm, and easy metamagic from Dragon Mag... something.

I'd also pick up Blast of Flame from spell compendium. Think of it as a 60ft cone, SR-No Fireball.

rel
2017-04-04, 10:19 PM
3.5 has some nice spells to keep you alive and make your fireball throwing more efficient:
wings of cover
greater mirror image
arcane fusion
celerity
arcane spellsurge
friendly fire
truecasting
ruin delvers fortune

Crake
2017-04-05, 01:07 AM
Looking mostly to abuse fireball and Delayed Blast Fireball.

"Abuse".... "Fireball".... Can you explain your logic there? Do you mean you want to just spam fireballs or something?

Calthropstu
2017-04-05, 01:13 AM
Orbs of fire (lesser, greater)
Seriously, the orbs are amazing. I was sad they did not get ported over into PF.

Jewrrick
2017-04-05, 09:52 AM
"Abuse".... "Fireball".... Can you explain your logic there? Do you mean you want to just spam fireballs or something?

To an extent, but also make them as powerful and/or versatile as possible.

upho
2017-04-05, 01:25 PM
"Abuse".... "Fireball".... Can you explain your logic there? Do you mean you want to just spam fireballs or something?Dazing Spell.

What are some things that are 3.5 exclusive that I can get into the game?

I am Looking at a crossblooded wildblooded Orc/Primal[fire] Sorcerer 19|Blood Arcanist 1 with the Draconic[red] bloodline. Use the Mutated bloodlines to get blood havoc and that nets me +4 damage per die on fire damage spells.

Looking mostly to abuse fireball and Delayed Blast Fireball.Time for some shameless nepotism: I suggest you take a look at the Short Sorcerer Handbook (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471575-Needs-Reformatting-Short-Sorcerer-Handbook-(bjorsa)) (originally written by my RL brother on the old WoTC gleemax forum years ago, and saved from annihilation by EN World people). You'll find several tips on races, PrCs and items which can help turn the 3.5 sorcerer into a powerhouse wizards will envy. Yes, that wizards will envy, even in terms of ECL, available spells and overall spell versatility. And the bloodlines and additional feats PF gives certainly won't make you weaker. Just keep in mind that even if you mostly focus on relatively innocent fire blasting and don't use for example 3.5 polymorph, if you optimize with 3.5 content you'll still quite easily be able to break the game into a thousand little pieces.

For blasting specifically, aside from the fire stuff already mentioned by Sayt and Calthropstu, I really recommend wings of flurry (http://dokdorspace.com/dndtools/spells/races-of-the-dragon--83/wings-of-flurry--3101/index.html). Large area party-friendly 1d6/CL uncapped damage and built-in dazing, absolutely amazing with the right metamagic (go Incantatrix and get Arcane Thesis (http://dokdorspace.com/dndtools/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/arcane-thesis--104/index.html)). And since really want to be dragonblooded for wings of flurry anyways, I'd take the excellent defensive wings of cover (http://dokdorspace.com/dndtools/spells/races-of-the-dragon--83/wings-of-cover--3100/index.html) as well.

Go kobold for dragonblood, venerable White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought (http://dokdorspace.com/dndtools/feats/races-of-the-dragon--83/dragonwrought--748/index.html) for extra punch and spell progression while avoiding bad aging effects. And if you really wanna cheese out, add Loredrake for a total of +3 sorcerer ECL! Especially if you're the party's only arcane caster, in addition to Incantatrix I also really recommend at least 2 levels of the Mage of the Arcane Order PrC for vastly increased spell versatility.

Hope that helps!

Jewrrick
2017-04-07, 09:39 AM
Great info in here, thanks guys.

I'm looking at my items and I'm curious what ya'll think.

I can only have 2 rings, and I want at least one of them to be Ring of Wizardry so that I can cast more spells per day. Is this worth 70-100k gp?

Ring of Wizardry

A fantastic collection of adventures, magic, monsters, new rules, and more for fey and forest-themed campaigns using Pathfinder and 5E!
Aura moderate (no school); CL 11th
Slot ring; Price 20,000 gp (Type I), 40,000 gp (Type II), 70,000 gp (Type III), 100,000 gp (Type IV); Weight —

Description
This special ring comes in four varieties, all of them useful only to arcane spellcasters. The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level. A ring of wizardry I doubles 1st-level spells, a ring of wizardry II doubles 2nd-level spells, a ring of wizardry III doubles 3rd-level spells, and a ring of wizardry IV doubles 4th-level spells. Bonus spells from high ability scores or school specialization are not doubled.

Rerednaw
2017-04-07, 05:23 PM
Dragonblood + Practical Metamagic to reduce metamagic modifier by 1.

Or from Dragon Magazine: Easy Metamagic, same benefit, no pre-req other than knowing the metamagic.

There is also the (in)famous feat Arcane Thesis which acts as -1 to each metamagic feat you place on a specific spell. Won't drop below the actual spell but can make the net effective modifier 0. So an easy empowered non-lethal arcane thesis fireball is +0.

Though I think you will want to consider Consecrate spell. +1 Metamagic and half your damage is divine and bypasses fire immunity/resist.

I'm assuming you don't want Incantatrix or Spelldancer silliness :)

Of course there are some gems of spells in 3.5 like Celerity which is great for a nova round.

Personally I like Ocular Spell from Lord of Madness. +2 but you cast up to two spells and you store them as 60' Rays for up to 8 hours. Full-round action fire both...but then I like to pretend I'm Cyclops from the X-Men. You could store 2 castings of Scorching Ray though 3.5 Combust is nicer (1d8/level max 10d8).

rel
2017-04-10, 12:39 AM
I've never found the ring of wizardry to be worth it.

Calthropstu
2017-04-10, 12:47 AM
I've never found the ring of wizardry to be worth it.

For a sorcerer they can be quite handy. Doubling their 4th level spell slots generally gives between 4-9 decent spells per day. Great for frequent users of dimension door.

rel
2017-04-10, 03:19 AM
But is that really worth 100,000 gold?

You can buy a lot of gear for that much.

If you really want to spam dimension door a wand is only 21000. That should give you a few levels of spamming at least.

A cloak of charisma +6 is 36000. That should net you 1 or 2 extra level 4 spell slots and extra slots of all the lower levels and better spell DC's and a buff to some of your skills notably UMD.

If you buy both of those items you still have enough left over for a ring of freedom or something.