PDA

View Full Version : FFTA-Style Clan Wars - Any RPGS That Do This

JBPuffin
2017-04-03, 11:28 PM
Basically, I'm wondering what RPGs give players simultaneous control of multiple characters frequently. I'm not talking about DnD summoners or things, but where for the entire game, each player has a small set of characters they control, or there's a database of characters the group draws on, with each player using more than one at a time. I loved managing a clan in the Tactics Advance games, and I'm curious how many tabletop games have done something with it.

Professor Chimp
2017-04-04, 07:15 AM
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I suppose you could look into some of the more skirmish tabletop games from Games Workshop.

I'm thinking in particular of Mordheim, Necromunda and Inquisitor, all three of which are games that have you control gangs/warbands of at most 10 models. They're not really rpgs, with Inquisitor coming the closest, but do provide rules on setting up campaigns that let your gang/warband gain experience, gear, injuries as well as lose/gain members depending on tabletop performance. They're also PvP games, not PvE, though I suppose you could adapt them into one.

Lastly, none of them are still supported by Games Workshop, but there's still community support for them.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-04-06, 04:23 AM
If I remember correctly, Only War (the 40k rpg for the Imperial Guard) has something like this for some characters via Comrades, though I think they rather blur the line with player-controlled mooks.

Knaight
2017-04-06, 04:26 AM
If you're good with it being more one central character plus various (permanent) support characters, Savage Worlds fits this - particularly if you only need it in combat, FFTA style.