PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What happens if a Paladin tries to use Smite Evil on a Worm that Walks?

Frosty
2017-04-04, 01:35 AM
Is a Worm That Walks even a legal target for Smite evil? Does the WtW count as one creature or many creatures for the purposes of Smite evil? On a related note, can a paladin smite a fiendish swarm of Fine size?

Eldaran
2017-04-04, 01:43 AM
Luckily Smite Evil just says one target, you can even smite an evil chair if you want to. Worm That Walks is still one target, same with swarms.

Florian
2017-04-04, 01:48 AM
Is a Worm That Walks even a legal target for Smite evil? Does the WtW count as one creature or many creatures for the purposes of Smite evil? On a related note, can a paladin smite a fiendish swarm of Fine size?

Smite affects the Paladin, not the target. Keep in mind that you can activate smite on a non-legal target, too, which simply wastes one smite/day. In this case, a worm that walks is primarily one single target creature, so go smiting.

Eldaran
2017-04-04, 02:55 AM
Smite affects the Paladin, not the target. Keep in mind that you can activate smite on a non-legal target, too, which simply wastes one smite/day. In this case, a worm that walks is primarily one single target creature, so go smiting.

Are you thinking of 3.5? Because that's not how it works in Pathfinder, and you still ignore DR on non-evil targets.

Florian
2017-04-04, 03:14 AM
Are you thinking of 3.5? Because that's not how it works in Pathfinder, and you still ignore DR on non-evil targets.

Smite is a self-buff that needs a target to activate and gives further boni depending on target type.
Now technically, a WtW is immune to single target spells, but that defensive quality doesnīt come into it due to how smite works.

Frosty
2017-04-04, 05:13 PM
But is the WTW a legal target for the benefits of smite? I've seen some argue that the paladin would only be suiting one individual Worm out of the thousands that make up the body of the WTW.

Psyren
2017-04-04, 06:24 PM
The trouble here is the clause "physical effect." If you define Smite Evil as a physical effect then it doesn't work. Personally I don't think it is, because it is an intangible buff on the paladin rather than something that exists in the world.

If you define Smite Evil as a physical effect, then just about anything else is too, and the WtW is immune to any damage that isn't AoE (which I don't think was the intent.)

Frosty
2017-04-04, 06:40 PM
Has physical effect ever been defined anywhere?

Psyren
2017-04-04, 06:43 PM
Has physical effect ever been defined anywhere?

People have been bickering about the definition of "effect" since 3.0, good luck :smalltongue:

(This is basically one of those vague areas in the rules where a GM needs to weigh in and make a decision.)

Sayt
2017-04-04, 07:26 PM
Physical effects arent defined specifically in the CRB, so we fall back on semantics, for effects... that are physical. Does physical really /need/ to be defined?

Anyway, a paladin's smite calls out that you choose 'a target'. Not 'one creature', but 'a target'. Fiendish rat swarm? One target. Worm that walks? One target. Troop of hobgoblins? One Targer: Set Phasers to Smite.

Also, there is a FAQ stating that smite is an effect on the paladin (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qv0), not the target, or a wielded weapon, so the WTW doesnt have anything to be immune too, all the effects smite has are on the paladin, not the WYW

So the paladin spends his swift action to print the worm a ticket on the pain train, clips it, and then squashes a writhing heap of invertebrates.

Psyren
2017-04-04, 07:55 PM
That FAQ cite definitely leans me (further) towards "worm isn't immune."

Frosty
2017-04-04, 08:25 PM
That's good points. Calling out one target instead of one creature probably wins the argument.

Florian
2017-04-05, 01:58 AM
But is the WTW a legal target for the benefits of smite? I've seen some argue that the paladin would only be suiting one individual Worm out of the thousands that make up the body of the WTW.

A WtW is still only one target. Itīs defensive swarm traits are simply a subset of rules of that one target that come into play under certain conditions. Else you couldn'tīt target it with mind-affecting spells, are detection and divination spells, and so on. Now our pally could also use alchemists fire or a dragon fire pistol to do the smiting, like against all swarm types.

souridealist
2017-04-05, 11:01 PM
I feel like it's more within the spirit of the rules for a Worm that Walks to be a valid target? I mean, it's a nauseatingly vile undead nightmare. That's exactly the sort of thing a Smite Evil is meant to kill.

Frosty
2017-04-06, 12:20 PM
Actually, a Worm that walks is NOT undead. It is vermin but not undead. Healing spells heal them.

souridealist
2017-04-06, 08:50 PM
My mistake! That's what I get for skimming, I guess.

That said, it's a nauseatingly vile inherently evil nightmare, so I stand by my general point. It seems like a textbook example of the sort of thing one ought to be able to smite.