PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana: Drunken Master

layzeedude
2017-04-04, 05:19 AM
Hi lads, lasses and others,

New to GitP and D&D, so here goes!

I'm finishing up my first character who's a Hill Dwarf Monk. Obviously this won't be an issue for a while, but I'd like my eventual Monastic Tradition to shape my backstory. I was all set with Way of the Open Hand... then WotC have gone and put out Way of the Drunken Master to confuse things!

I'm aware it's not been out long, but has anyone had a play with this? Dwarves and ale are just made for each other so seems like a perfect match. While I'm happier with a more colourful character than min/maxing I don't want my first campaign to be using under-powered/broken abilities.

Thanks for any advice!

LD

X3r4ph
2017-04-04, 05:52 AM
I don't think there is anything to worry about. Drunken Master seems very balanced... perhaps even a little weaker than Way of the Open Hand.

BladeWing81
2017-04-04, 09:40 AM
I haven't been able to use the subclass but I feel its a bit to weak, from most of the abilities I think the idea of the subclass is to go against multiple enemies and control their attacks by deflecting and avoiding them but I don't see any abilities that boost AC or evasion in a meaninful way, monks can only take a couple of hits before he goes down and these abilities don't help in that aspect at all for his survival except the first feature and third feature. I would only make a few changes like make a drunken state similar to the bladesinger where he gets some AC +2 bonus for a minute (10 turns) which can be activated twice per short rest, also the tipsy sway I would make it a reaction similar to missile deflection but for melee attacks using his reaction. drunken technique, drunkards luck and intoxicated frency seem great and are on par with the idea that the subclass is made to withstand multiple enemies at once.

layzeedude
2017-04-05, 01:58 AM
Cheers for the replies.

It feels like the features are opposed to each other. Drunken Technique implies you'll run in, deal damage, then run out without getting hit, therefore no AC boost really needed. But Tipsy Sway suggests you're going to be in melee with multiple attackers. Also, once per short rest does seem a little stingy. Maybe this would be where the AC boost could be added, which fits with the Tipsy Sway making you harder to hit.

Would be nice to have Drunkard's Luck option after the save roll too (like the Lucky feat) as you're already spending a ki point on the ability.

LD

Lombra
2017-04-05, 02:20 AM
I'd kindly advise to play a barbarian 2/monk (open hand) x for the drunken master feel: the UA one is just a style of fighting, but if you refluff rage with you drinking a strong intoxicant you got yourself the drunken danger.

Quoxis
2017-04-05, 05:04 AM
I'd kindly advise to play a barbarian 2/monk (open hand) x for the drunken master feel: the UA one is just a style of fighting, but if you refluff rage with you drinking a strong intoxicant you got yourself the drunken danger.

^ this.
Go barbarian for the first level (sacking high hp and unarmored defense relying on con), then monk, prioritize str, con, then either dex (for higher ac) or wis (for higher chance to stun etc), dump the rest, drunkards are neither smart nor charming anyway. Then after some monk levels (for ki and monk weapon damage) get yourself another level of barbarian. I wouldn't go deeper than 2 or 3 levels of barb all in all.

You now have a monk that behaves more like a brawler than a technical fighter, dealing more damage and being able to take more punches than the standard monk (rage gives damage bonus on str attacks and lessens incoming weapon damage), but you're slower at reaching features/techniques like stunning strike.
You are tougher, you hit harder, and you pay by being less of a controller than the average monk.

layzeedude
2017-04-05, 09:05 AM
Cheers Lombra & Quoxis,

Funnily enough I'd just read what Quoxis had posted on the Fighter/Monk thread and it makes total sense.

TBH, as a newbie to 5e I'm not planning any multi-classing fun just yet. Maybe if I'm struggling I could dip into Barbarian for an AC boost, but it doesn't really fit with the character I've got in mind. Think more 4ft tall Bruce Lee with a huge beard! (or Jackie Chan if I went WotDM! :smallbiggrin:)

Quoxis
2017-04-05, 11:21 AM
Cheers Lombra & Quoxis,

Funnily enough I'd just read what Quoxis had posted on the Fighter/Monk thread and it makes total sense.

TBH, as a newbie to 5e I'm not planning any multi-classing fun just yet. Maybe if I'm struggling I could dip into Barbarian for an AC boost, but it doesn't really fit with the character I've got in mind. Think more 4ft tall Bruce Lee with a huge beard! (or Jackie Chan if I went WotDM! :smallbiggrin:)

And i copied part of what i wrote here into the fighter-monk thread :^D

For the typical Jackie Chan feel i suggest taking the "tavern brawler" feat - you'll literally fight using the furniture around you.

clash
2017-04-06, 11:01 AM
My issue with the drunken master is the level 11 ability Drunkard's Luck seems completely irrelevant once you get Diamond soul 3 levels later.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-04-06, 11:07 AM
My issue with the drunken master is the level 11 ability Drunkard's Luck seems completely irrelevant once you get Diamond soul 3 levels later.

True, it was just poorly done overall. My hope is if it ever gets an official release in a book that they make it a bit stronger.