PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dragon Egg Dilemma

DiCastle
2017-04-04, 07:39 AM
I had some issues in my latest session whereby the druid in our party was given a dragon egg by a green dragon who owed us a favour (he was a weird dragon.) Now, as cool as this was, my own tiefling monk had some concerns about the whole thing.
First off, the practical concerns of raising a dragon from the egg stage is difficult enough, especially considering its a group of emotionally unstable adventurers trying to stop some unknown horror from maddening the world. Nursing, transporting and ensuring the creature doesnt harm anyone will make it so that it would be a huge inconvenience.
Secondly, its not just an animal, its clever. And trying to raise it without being truly capable of doing so would be doing it a disservice. And as much as druids know about nature and animals, dragons are creatures of magic, and this particular druid is very young and inexperienced.
Then theres the fact that if we brought a green dragon around with us it would either be stolen or killed. And we would all be put at risk by having it.
There is a lot of complications and such to doing this and no one presented me with any alternative plans.
My monk suggests taking it to the monastery where she grew up because they are built to take in orphans and outcasts, its their entire deal. And its in the mountains so its spacious, and they can feed it. Plus theyre equipped to resist the dragon should it become a threat.

With all this said, the druid is annoyed at me and upset, in and out of character. And since they got upset everyone has been trying to get me to give it back to her. But its not what I think my character would do but now I just feel awful about the whole thing and I dont know how to solve it.
I was just wondering if anyone had any alternative solutions or even just an opinion on whether Im wrong.

hymer
2017-04-04, 08:12 AM
But its not what I think my character would do but now I just feel awful about the whole thing and I dont know how to solve it.

If what your character would do is not fun for the group, and is in fact making people angry with you, then have your character do something else. It's as simple as that. Make it into character development. Your character could realize that s/he has no say over when or if other people take up the responsibilities of parenthood.

Jimmah
2017-04-04, 08:36 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had any alternative solutions or even just an opinion on whether Im wrong.

It isn't an easy scenario. A huge amount of disbelief is already being suspended here without your more mundane mechanical concerns about raising a dragon even being considered.

You are not wrong per se but obviously being right and doing right aren't the same thing, especially in RPG groups.

My suggestion (other than the obvious - ie giving the critter back) would be to have the DM formulate scenes where the Druid can influence the hatchlings' development and bond with it while it is at the monastery. Something along the lines of a series of formative encounters which depending how the Druid handles them will change the personality, traits and outlook of the wee beastie. Obviously the Druid wants a Dragon friend and that allows it to happen in a much more controlled way, gives the Druid the spotlight re: Dragon and potentially provides a reasonably powerful ally for the future too. It also gives room for plenty of RP potential between the two of you, your masters at the Monastery etc.

awa
2017-04-04, 08:45 AM
I dont think nursing it is a concern, right out of the egg it is far more capable then a common man, its size small so transporting it is not a problem even if it decides not to fly (speed 100.)

A baby dragon needs a lot less raising then an human its a lot farther along on its mental development than a human would be.

You realize that your in character actions are making the game less fun for other, its what my character would do is a lousy excuse because you made your character

edit also keep in mind the default depiction of a green dragon would hate a mountain they like forests and to a lesser extent swamps, trees and water not stone

DiCastle
2017-04-04, 08:53 AM
You realize that your in character actions are making the game less fun for other, its what my character would do is a lousy excuse because you made your character

I did make the character but just because my characters actions can cause conflict doesnt make her a bad character.
Shes concerned about how caring for the dragon will effect the group. It'll make them a target, and if its a green dragon it could put the entire group in serious danger.
Green dragons are hyper manipulative monsters who collect people like other dragons collect treasure.
As a monk her first instinct is to defer judgement to the people she trusts to make the best, wisest decision, namely her spiritual leaders and masters.
Plus if you want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say its nature will be defined more by nurture than nature then the party isnt equipped to provide it the proper care.

tomandtish
2017-04-04, 09:49 AM
I had some issues in my latest session whereby the druid in our party was given a dragon egg by a green dragon who owed us a favour (he was a weird dragon.) Now, as cool as this was, my own tiefling monk had some concerns about the whole thing.

With all this said, the druid is annoyed at me and upset, in and out of character. And since they got upset everyone has been trying to get me to give it back to her. But its not what I think my character would do but now I just feel awful about the whole thing and I dont know how to solve it.

For starters, based on the bolded part it looks like you left something out of your post. Reading between the lines, it's not just a disagreement over what to do with the egg, but you took something that was specifically given to another party member? Sounds like we need some clarification here.

In the end, this is a game and it is supposed to be fun for all involved. If your actions are making it less fun for the other players, then you need to reconsider. And "But my character would.." is never a good reason to make the game not be fun for other players.

DiCastle
2017-04-04, 10:06 AM
For starters, based on the bolded part it looks like you left something out of your post. Reading between the lines, it's not just a disagreement over what to do with the egg, but you took something that was specifically given to another party member? Sounds like we need some clarification here.players.

It was originally given to the druid but, after speaking with them, they gave it to my character to deal with. Though it was somewhat reluctant, I didnt physically steal it or remove it from their possession.

Celestia
2017-04-04, 10:15 AM
Raising it isn't a problem. A green dragon is born with an intelligence score of 10. It has all the mental capacity of an adult human. The bigger problem is that it is also born evil. Dragons are not like normal creatures and don't have a "childhood," per se. They aren't born "young;" they're born small. A dragon is fully cognizant and intelligent from the moment it hatches. It automatically understands enough about the world, philosophy, and morality to have a default alignment. This is the situation you're facing.

So, the real issue isn't having trouble raising a baby. The issue is dealing with an evil dragon. Now, I'm assuming that your party is generally good aligned, meaning the dragon will automatically be at odds with you. Possibly. If you present yourselves as more neutral, you can become allies with it, especially if it ends up forming a sentimental attachment to the druid. You can then, besically, reform the dragon and turn it away from evil. Chromatic dragons mat be born evil, but they are still intelligent beings and can, therefore, change alignment. If the druid works with the DM, this can all be easily hammered out.

darkrose50
2017-04-04, 10:39 AM
If what your character would do is not fun for the group, and is in fact making people angry with you, then have your character do something else. It's as simple as that. Make it into character development. Your character could realize that s/he has no say over when or if other people take up the responsibilities of parenthood.

Some people want to do what is smart.

Some people want to do what is fun.

In some groups I have gotten into trouble (with some players) doing things that are stupid, but fun.

I say do the fun thing. Say I think we should do X, but you are the druid, and are blessed in the ways of nature. I will defer to your judgement, but may I assist as an uncle or aunt figure?.

Meanwhile ask you monastery for advice, and do your best to raise the dragon, as an uncle or aunt, with help from the wise teachings of your people.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-04-04, 10:48 AM
If the player is upset OOC then talk to them OOC.

Gray Mage
2017-04-04, 11:08 AM
Well, you need to figure out if the other player feels like you stole it or if he/the group really want to have a dragon companion. If it's the first, you guys can instead of giving it to your monastery, have that player's druidic sect/cabal raise it and you guys can visit it between adventures, so that way it still feels connected with the druid player. If it's the later, you should probably let go. It seems like it's a deal breaker for them. You can probably talk with your DM OOC to minimize some of your fears (such as not having it betray/screw the party with a gentleman's agreement).

You're a tiefling, are you guys per chance an evil party?

DiCastle
2017-04-04, 11:20 AM
You're a tiefling, are you guys per chance an evil party?

Nope, we are good/neutral. My character does have some anger issues and violent tendencies but she tries her best not to give in to them and if/when she does she tries to make amends as quickly as possible.

Lord Torath
2017-04-04, 11:22 AM
I'm going to refer you the the second half of this article by Rich Berlew: Decide to React Differently (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307KmEm4H9k6efFP.html) (it's there, just scroll down a bit).

You have an in-character issue that has created problems both in- and out-of-character. This needs to be dealt with, both in- and out-of-character. Talk to the druid's player, and the DM about how you can resolve this issue. Let them know you don't want to cause problems, and ask for suggestions. Consider that the DM may have given the egg precisely because it will draw attention, and attract thieves/kidnappers/angry PETA members, and these will lead to new adventures.

Here are a few possibilities I've come up with. You will probably come up with better ones:

You take the egg to the monastery, and the leader there tells you that it should be just fine being raised by the druid. You then return the egg to the druid (requires DM input and Druid trust and patience).
Your monk has a dream sent by the druid's deity (or your own), instructing you to return the egg. (You do not need the DM's permission for this, as long as you are willing to accept that the dream might have just been an ordinary dream, and not really sent by a deity)
The druid shares her impressive knowledge of green dragons and her plans for raising/training this one with you, convincing you that the dragon will not be the problem you are worried it will be (only requires permission of druid's player).
Upon re-thinking the situation, your monk decides the egg is better in the druid's care than anyone else's. Yes, you changed your mind. Everyone does it. Your character can too.

Let us know how things turn out, if you don't mind. :smallsmile:

icefractal
2017-04-04, 03:31 PM
It was originally given to the druid but, after speaking with them, they gave it to my character to deal with. Though it was somewhat reluctant, I didnt physically steal it or remove it from their possession.Who gave it to you, exactly? The Druid? Other members of the party? If it was the former, did they give it to you as in "it is now permanently yours" or as in "ok, you can hold onto it"?

Because if it was anything less than the Druid saying "I transfer all authority of it to you." then your answer for not being a jerk OOC while remaining consistent IC is easy - you're going to give it back to the Druid because it's his.

You're Lawful, right? That means that unless you're declaring the Druid mentally unfit or an enemy, you can't just kidnap his ward, regardless of how you feel it would best be raised. You can, of course, disapprove, but it's ultimately not your decision.

As for the dragon causing trouble - yeah, it might. But if it didn't, something else would. You're living a very dangerous lifestyle being an adventurer, there's going to be trouble on a regular basis. If you want a quiet life, you should settle down and run a business - not that that would guarantee it either, but your odds are better.

DiCastle
2017-04-04, 05:04 PM
Who gave it to you, exactly? The Druid? Other members of the party? If it was the former, did they give it to you as in "it is now permanently yours" or as in "ok, you can hold onto it"?

Because if it was anything less than the Druid saying "I transfer all authority of it to you." then your answer for not being a jerk OOC while remaining consistent IC is easy - you're going to give it back to the Druid because it's his.

You're Lawful, right? That means that unless you're declaring the Druid mentally unfit or an enemy, you can't just kidnap his ward, regardless of how you feel it would best be raised. You can, of course, disapprove, but it's ultimately not your decision.

As for the dragon causing trouble - yeah, it might. But if it didn't, something else would. You're living a very dangerous lifestyle being an adventurer, there's going to be trouble on a regular basis. If you want a quiet life, you should settle down and run a business - not that that would guarantee it either, but your odds are better.

The character is lawful and the egg was given to me after a conversation about how I thought we should get rid of it with the basic intent of 'Fine, you deal with it.' I didnt kidnap anything.

And the thing about the danger of being an adventurer is true but, as my character was reluctantly forced to be the leader of the party, she has to take into account the safety of the entire group. Shes fine with taking necessary risks and putting herself on the line for others but putting everyone in the group in unnecessary danger to spare the druids feelings isnt something she would do without very, very good reason.

That and the fact that she and the druid have a very unstable relationship. She has tried to accommodate her but in combat shes been unreliable at best and she has attacked other members of the party over minor indiscretions.

All in all she believes the druid is not prepared to have that level of power or responsibility. And when asked why the druid wanted the egg in the first place she first claimed she wanted it as a pet, then claimed she wanted it to prove she could care for it, then said she had no idea why she wanted it.
Im not trying to be argumentative but its just a very difficult situation and its very upsetting because I dont know if Im actually logistically right or not or whether I should just let it go and run with it.

If I do itll avoid this conflict but it just seems like a huge mistake and, given the druids previous behaviour I cant trust them not to just use the dragon as a means to solve arguments by simply saying "Nope, we do what I want because I have a dragon."
I mean she threw acid at our thief for stealing from a corrupt tax collector because stealing is bad. Just after the huge fight that she didnt bother to participate in because she was chatting to the maid.
And on another occassion they criticised me and threatened to leave the party after I 'abandoned' them, during what was essentially a pop quiz. (The reason for my leaving is because our bard had cheated to try and let me win the game. Which didnt sit well with my character for various reasons.)

Sorry to have gotten all ranty its just really difficult and I genuinely feel really bad about the entire thing but its annoying to handle, especially since this is happening at a very early stage of the game. Our characters are only level 7.

icefractal
2017-04-04, 06:23 PM
And the thing about the danger of being an adventurer is true but, as my character was reluctantly forced to be the leader of the party, she has to take into account the safety of the entire group.Ok, this may be the issue. Having a party leader at all can sometimes lead to problems like this, because it runs into a major IC/OOC issue - the PC should be in charge of other PCs, but the player shouldn't be in charge of other players. If they try too much to be in charge OOC, it usually leads to other players feeling unhappy and sidelined.

Like the present situation. It makes sense IC, but let's take a look at the situation OOC: You've taken a game element that was introduced to put the spotlight on the Druid, and changed it so it puts the spotlight on your monastery instead (or moves out of play entirely). And in the process, reinforced the idea that the Druid is "not prepared to have that level of power or responsibility". Most people aren't going to enjoy that!

Unfortunately, I think this is a situation where you might have to sacrifice staying completely IC-consistent. In a way, you've been given a piece of the GM's power, and just as the GM has to prioritize having a good game over thinking from the NPCs/foes POV, you probably need to do the same thing - make the decision democratic OOC and then contrive some justification for your character to decide that way IC.

Pauly
2017-04-04, 09:24 PM
'Fine you deal with it' is code for 'we're sick of your whining'. Your character may not have 'stolen' anything but you took something that was specifically given to another character that the other character wanted. You were given the egg because the other players, not the other characters, were sick of your whining. If the druid was playing completely in character they would have walked away from the party with the dragon. You didn't persuade anybody either in character or around the table that your suggestion was the best action.

Also, from a meta perspective, you have also removed a plot point that was tagged to another character and tagged it to yourself.

You have taken the most selfish course of action available to you as a player. You made another character's dilemma your dilemma. You made another character's possession your possession. You made another characters story quirk your story quirk. You railroaded the party and GM into your preferred storyline by whining and refusing to accept other character's decisions.

The Aboleth
2017-04-04, 09:41 PM
As others have said, "fun" should be the #1 priority in a game. Yes, your monk might be acting totally appropriate from a character-perspective, but at the end of the day the game is about OOC emotions--namely, the enjoyment or lack thereof surrounding the experience.

Personally, I'd have your character back down on the issue and give the egg back to the druid. Your character has made their protests loud and clear, so if crap does hit the fan they can pull an "I told you so!" later. But crap might NOT hit the fan--and, in fact, this might serve as an important lesson in responsibility (aka be a character growth opportunity) for the druid who, up to this point, has been very irresponsible. Allowing the druid to care for the dragon egg (and the actual dragon when it hatches) might solve many of the problems your monk believes this druid to possess.

So, I say let the druid have the chance to raise the dragon. Who knows? Maybe the group's influence will turn the dragon away from its inherently evil nature and you will have gained a powerful ally in the process!

jitzul
2017-04-04, 10:40 PM
Even though raising a chromatic dragon is a awful idea let the player go through with the awful idea. If there is anything I have learned over my time playing d&d some players like doing stupid things that would absolutely lead to there character getting boned over because it's fun to them. When the green wrymling betrays your party then gloat over the party. Until then let the druid have there "character development" that will lead to them getting gotacha'ed by the dm later on down the line.

Rodimal
2017-04-04, 10:48 PM
Raising it isn't a problem. A green dragon is born with an intelligence score of 10. It has all the mental capacity of an adult human. The bigger problem is that it is also born evil. Dragons are not like normal creatures and don't have a "childhood," per se. They aren't born "young;" they're born small. A dragon is fully cognizant and intelligent from the moment it hatches. It automatically understands enough about the world, philosophy, and morality to have a default alignment. This is the situation you're facing.

So, the real issue isn't having trouble raising a baby. The issue is dealing with an evil dragon. Now, I'm assuming that your party is generally good aligned, meaning the dragon will automatically be at odds with you. Possibly. If you present yourselves as more neutral, you can become allies with it, especially if it ends up forming a sentimental attachment to the druid. You can then, besically, reform the dragon and turn it away from evil. Chromatic dragons mat be born evil, but they are still intelligent beings and can, therefore, change alignment. If the druid works with the DM, this can all be easily hammered out.

And this right here is one of the major reasons we houseruled the Always part out of Dragon Alignment in our game worlds. If the DM and the others players are up it, let the Druid raise the dragon and change the dragons alignment according through the bond forming between the dragon and Druid. There's no rule that says a Druid can't have a Dragon has a companion (that I know of), they are just not listed on the companion list (and the Rule of Cool should always come before the Rules has Written). Give the egg back and see where it goes.

out

Quertus
2017-04-05, 12:45 AM
Sounds like the druid is incompetent, and shouldn't be trusted with a house plant, let alone a sentient being. And your character is correct: removing the dragon is in the best interests of protecting the party. And the populous at large.

The monastery is... on the surface a good plan, at least. A group of Lawful monks could easily provide the structure a Lawful green dragon would crave. Your druid would need to mature way too much to be believable. Is the druid's player capable of such maturity, or are they as unreliable as their character?

Food is never a problem for dragons - they can eat anything. But the non-native terrain will just exacerbate any feelings of not fitting in (no matter how "good" it acts) that the dragon might feel. And, being accustomed to taking in presumedly human(oid) children will give the monks experience that will work against them, just like it did for the captain of the Titanic.

There's a few details your story is shy on; I'll give a couple. Did the green dragon give the egg to the party, or to the druid? And, here's a fun one: do you even know if it's a green dragon egg, and not, say, some other dragon's egg the green dragon stole?

But probably the most important thing to do is to work on the OOC issues first. See if you can pin the druid's player down on exactly what is upsetting them and why. See if you can get them to express exactly what criteria would make for a valid resolution to this problem. See if you can express exactly what criteria would make for a valid resolution to this problem. Heck, see if the GM cares about what happens, why they introduced the McGuffin, etc. See if y'all can work together to create a solution that works for everyone.

GungHo
2017-04-05, 02:53 PM
Would you think it was normal if one of the people in the party gave the dragon one of their kids? "As a reward for helping me, you can raise my child." That doesn't seem weird to you? It's got to be a set up.

icefractal
2017-04-05, 03:14 PM
Would you think it was normal if one of the people in the party gave the dragon one of their kids? "As a reward for helping me, you can raise my child." That doesn't seem weird to you? It's got to be a set up.IIRC, Dragons, especially chromatic ones, don't have very strong parenting instincts. Their efforts are often limited to "Make sure the egg is somewhere it will hatch safely. After that, it'll take care of itself if it's worthy to be a dragon."

As to alignment, while chromatic dragons are almost always evil, they're not metaphysically evil like demons. One that grows up entirely around good influences could end up good, or at least neutral.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-04-05, 03:40 PM
As to alignment, while chromatic dragons are almost always evil, they're not metaphysically evil like demons. One that grows up entirely around good influences could end up good, or at least neutral.

I don't think it would. I think chromatic dragons are hardwired around evil and will never feel the slightest desire to behave differently, no matter how they're raised. Depending on its cunning a wyrmling might play along until it was big enough to no longer benefit from having some idiot guardians watching over it, or it might just try to breathe acid in their faces immediately for hell of it.

Personally the way I see it:
Often Evil: Societal pressure. Orcs grow up in a chaotic evil raiding culture, they're often going to also grow up to be chaotic evil.

Usually Evil: Societal pressure + some outside factor. Most drow are cursed by Lolth, they feel an inborn pressure to tend towards evil. And their society reinforces that inborn pressure.

Always Evil: This is the way the creature is. It doesn't have the slightest desire to be any other way. This is how it was meant to be and if it's evil then that creature is just functioning correctly. A creature from an always evil species that isn't evil is malfunctioning in some way.

A good example that I think worked well of exceptions to always evil creatures is Angel in Buffy. Vampires are always evil. Angel got cursed by gypsies to have his soul returned, so he isn't evil.

Quertus
2017-04-05, 05:11 PM
A few more things:

Druids are not exactly known for their ability to care for dragons. Generally, they are experts in dealing with stupid creatures of animal intelligence or less. Do they even get K:Arcana as a class skill?

Druids are about the last class that needs more, especially more meat. Between animal companion, summon spells, and their own not insubstantial prowess, handing more to the druid is like playing "core only, for balance reasons".

Druids are also not exactly known to be good moral compasses. Admittedly, they used to be True Stupid, dedicated to "the balance" in ways that made absolutely no sense in the world they live in. As they are no longer required to be True Neutral, I can only hope they've gotten better in that regard, but I'd be hard pressed to use a druid's neutrality stance to mold an evil genius child into a model citizen.

As to alignment... How did the succubus paladin :smallyuk: come about? While we could debate exactly how D&D alignment works, or exactly how a child's development works, what really matters is, what does your DM believe about such things... and do any of the characters have the appropriate skills / experiences to know, in character, how things work in your DMs world?

Regardless of any of this, if the druid is aiming for a dragon-themed feat or prestige class, and this was the DMs way of making that happen, it's going to be hard to make it not happen. Not impossible, as there are probably smarter and safer ways to accomplish the same thing, but still hard.

Pugwampy
2017-04-07, 05:46 AM
If you eat the eggs you will gain the courage of a dragon . :smallsmile:

Dappershire
2017-04-07, 06:10 AM
Dragon is evil. Never would have given his Child to filthy prey as a slave.
Therefore, it is a Giant Cockatrice egg. And your Druid is a dumbass for not noticing. Happy hatching!

Aurich
2017-04-07, 08:02 AM
what about a guard drake, volo158? those are like dragon guarddog and pretty much a pet.

hifidelity2
2017-04-07, 08:36 AM
We had this happen with our party – only a Red Dragon Egg

We have however always been flexible re creatures alignment (so where does Nature be overcome by nature)

We had it that the Dragon “bonded” on the 1st person it saw and over time became an NPC for the party – just image what happened the 1st time we tried to “Stable” the dragon in an Inn

ATHATH
2017-04-07, 04:27 PM
Whatever you decide to do, snatch up the leftover eggshell after the wyrmling breaks out of it (and before it eats it). A Dragon Magazine article (I don't remember what issue, but I think that the article was called "Cutting Up the Dragon") made a bunch of dragon parts power components. Draconic eggshells can be used to make your armor and/or weapons permanently energy resistant, and can be used to offset some of the costs of making armor of energy resistance (IIRC).

LibraryOgre
2017-04-07, 04:38 PM
"I hope you realize I am NOT taking care of this dragon. YOU will take it for walks. YOU will clean up dragon poop. And YOU will pay when it eats Mrs. Harriman's Shih Tzu!"

My suggestion? Play the Dad who doesn't want a dog.

thamolas
2017-04-07, 05:16 PM
You could have the characters stumble upon a rumor of an item that "ages up" intelligent beings thus giving the party a hook for an adventure, solving the "what to do with baby" dilemma, and giving the druid a chance to keep the dragon around (for better or worse). You can even tally up the party's actions and their effect on the dragon's personality (to see how it treats the characters). And if the players drop the ball or are unable to handle the repercussions stemming from their choices? Make the consequences realistic. Don't go crazy hammering them, but if things start going south, let them go south. Rising from the ashes of catastrophe is a fun adventure hook in itself. And if the characters do well, the dragon will eventually want its independence and leave the group (which may eventually have consequences and more adventure hooks).

Sounds like a fun scenario, actually.

Nupo
2017-04-10, 10:42 AM
Dont' forget that dragons age veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly.

noob
2017-04-10, 03:20 PM
Well you can use hypnosis or an emissary of Barachiel to turn the wyrmling to good alignments(he needs to make a save against a diplomacy check in order to not shift toward good and without even trying you probably can get a modifier to diplomacy of 21 just by stat modifier+skillpoints).
Then since it is as smart and knowledgable as an adult he will then not need any particular care since he will be good.(he will not necessarily be an ally since any real life good person would probably try to avoid knowing or being near adventurers because they do a lot of evil stuff that they will say to be good)

Koo Rehtorb
2017-04-10, 03:33 PM
Well you can use hypnosis or an emissary of Barachiel to turn the wyrmling to good alignments(he needs to make a save against a diplomacy check in order to not shift toward good and without even trying you probably can get a modifier to diplomacy of 21 just by stat modifier+skillpoints).
Then since it is as smart and knowledgable as an adult he will then not need any particular care since he will be good.(he will not necessarily be an ally since any real life good person would probably try to avoid knowing or being near adventurers because they do a lot of evil stuff that they will say to be good)

This is everything wrong with 3.5 in a nutshell.

noob
2017-04-10, 03:49 PM
Yes there was a high density of wrong things.
3.5 had a lot of broken prcs.
Hypnosis keeps pwning and breaking the entire universe in pathfinder.
Gladly it was deleted in 5e.

Wolfkingleo
2017-04-10, 04:22 PM
(...)

All in all she believes the druid is not prepared to have that level of power or responsibility. And when asked why the druid wanted the egg in the first place she first claimed she wanted it as a pet, then claimed she wanted it to prove she could care for it, then said she had no idea why she wanted it.
Im not trying to be argumentative but its just a very difficult situation and its very upsetting because I dont know if Im actually logistically right or not or whether I should just let it go and run with it.

If I do itll avoid this conflict but it just seems like a huge mistake and, given the druids previous behaviour I cant trust them not to just use the dragon as a means to solve arguments by simply saying "Nope, we do what I want because I have a dragon."
I mean she threw acid at our thief for stealing from a corrupt tax collector because stealing is bad. Just after the huge fight that she didnt bother to participate in because she was chatting to the maid.
And on another occassion they criticised me and threatened to leave the party after I 'abandoned' them, during what was essentially a pop quiz. (The reason for my leaving is because our bard had cheated to try and let me win the game. Which didnt sit well with my character for various reasons.)

OP, I think your problem is mostly here: Your character(you in an extent) believes that your solution is the only solution to deal with troubles because everyone else in your party, in your eyes, are a bunch of chaotic stupid jacka**es and you act too parental regarding this, and everyone else is getting annoyed at being chastised by your character in several instances, where instead of helping the group behave and avoid disrupt the adventure, you are removing player agency throught a agressive-passive tactic.

What I see is that actually the dragon egg dilemma is not the true problem in this conflict, but the "drop that makes the cup turn over". What I meant by that is that you have behaved "Lawfull Dumb that will go after evil no matter what because lawfull" (just putting the stereotype here). So, taking that into consideration, go OOC and speak to everyone to see if anything else is bothering them (including the DM) in order to propose a solution IC for it. Try not be condescending when pointing your view or you may cause more trouble than what you showed here.

And remember, allignment can changed easily, but player mind is another story.

Cheers

The Aboleth
2017-04-10, 04:56 PM
After re-reading the OP, it doesn't seem that the dragon's alignment is a concern at all--just the fact that it's a dragon in the first place and, thus, would require more care and attention then the OP thinks the party can provide (thus the suggestion to take it to the monk's monastery).

Honestly, I think you kind of have to meta-game this a bit and ask yourself why the DM would give the party a dragon egg in the first place. Unless your DM is a conniving a-hole bent on crushing the party through a combination of trickery and brute force*, I see a couple of options here:

1.) The DM has given the druid a dragon egg as a means of character development

2.) The dragon egg is a plot hook for some side quest that the DM hopes the druid/party will explore

3.) A combination of 1 & 2

Obviously, the party doesn't have to explore anything--many a DM has had whole pages of notes thrown out because the party decided to go in an unexpected direction. Still, it sounds like the OP is being too dismissive of the potential story/character advancement opportunities the dragon egg could offer. Yes, I know the character is acting the way the OP feels like he/she should, but there is such a thing as going "too far" in that direction.

Thus, my suggestion to the OP is similar to what I said before: Have your character made his/her concerns heard, but ultimately relent and let the druid have the dragon egg even if it's slightly out of character for them to back down on the issue. The dragon egg has been given to the party for a reason, so why not explore that reason?

*All DMs are this way to some extent, of course. I'm speaking about a DM who is this way all the time.

ross
2017-04-10, 08:22 PM
The egg was given to the druid, not you. It's the druid's choice to make. Your monk can either leave the party, or stay and accept the consequences of whatever the druid decides.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-10, 08:33 PM
Have you considered a new PC? I am getting the feeling that your group is either made of people who are roleplaying...Colorful people. If you want to stick with the group, maybe bringing the wet blanket monk who seems to not get along with ANY PC or the group's playstyle isn't a good idea.

Sometimes, a concept doesn't pan out. And would the monk really stick by these cheating, violent, petty people who want to keep a dragon for a pet? Perhaps have the monk decide that they've had enough and leave, and bring in a new PC that is more in line with what the group wants.

After all, these people threw acid at someone they didn't like. Does the monk really want to have to sleep lightly for the next month or two?

Quertus
2017-04-11, 09:33 AM
The egg was given to the druid, not you. It's the druid's choice to make. Your monk can either leave the party, or stay and accept the consequences of whatever the druid decides.

Was it? I don't remember receiving clarification on that point.

And, no, if the druid decides to kill townsfolk with the dragon, intentionally or through stupidity, it is the monk's - and every good character's - responsibility to not just accept those consequences, and intervene.

ross
2017-04-11, 03:44 PM
Was it? I don't remember receiving clarification on that point.

"the druid in our party was given a dragon egg"

And, no, if the druid decides to kill townsfolk with the dragon, intentionally or through stupidity, it is the monk's - and every good character's - responsibility to not just accept those consequences, and intervene.

If and when the dragon hatches, that will be a new problem, requiring a different solution.

As of right now, the egg is in the druid's possession. Therefore, it is the druid's responsibility. Party members are not babysitters or legal guardians. The monk is not responsible for the druid's decision, nor can he be.

Quertus
2017-04-12, 05:59 AM
"the druid in our party was given a dragon egg"

the druid in our party was given a dragon egg

Wow. Sure enough. Explains why the OP didn't bother clarifying that point. Somehow, I apparently just read, "the druid in our party was given a dragon egg".