PDA

View Full Version : Exclusively Evil Cleric Archetype: Divine Domain of Treachery

FishBot
2017-04-04, 10:58 AM
"Like the trickery domain, but like... definitively evil" -me

Divine Deceiver
At 1st level you gain proficiency in deception and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any deception check.

Transfer Damage
At 1st level when you take damage you can use your reaction to halve the damage taken by you and cause one ally within 30 feet to take the other half of the damage. You can use this feature a number of times each long rest equal to your wisdom modifier.

Channel Divinity: Calculated Withdrawl
At 2nd level, you can use your channel divinity to become invisible for 1 round, double your movement speed for 1 round, and create an illusory duplicate of yourself in your space that lasts for 1 minute. A creature can see that through the illusion with a successful insight check against your spell save DC. If a creature touches the illusory duplicate it explodes into a cloud of poison. The duplicate is destroyed and all creatures within 5 feet of it must make a constitution saving throw or take 1d6 + your cleric level poison damage or half as much on a successful save.

Nimble Escape
At 6th level, you can disengage or hide as a bonus action.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 poison damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Icon of Cowardice
At 17th level, you can use your transfer damage feature at will and when you do you can transfer the other half of the damage to any creature within 30 feet, not just an ally. In addition as part of your reaction when you use this ability you can teleport up to 15 feet

Domain Spells
1st: Expeditious Retreat, Silent Image
3rd: Invisibility, Mirror Image
5th: Fear, Nondetection
7th: Dimension Door, Hallucinatory Terrain
9th: Mislead, Modify Memory

JeenLeen
2017-04-04, 11:42 AM
5th edition, right?
All in all, it sounds like a good idea, but I think Transfer Damage is... tricky.

For Transfer Damage, I could actually see this being able to target an enemy. Or perhaps it gets upgraded at a higher level to let you damage an enemy. That seems comparable with some other Domain powers.
Should this bypass resistance or damage reduction? I can see a 'yes', since your resistance/reduction has already been applied.
As an example, lets say you take 20 damage, and transfer half of it to your rogue ally. Can it use Uncanny Dodge to halve the damage again (so instead of 10, it takes 5)? What if the attack is fire damage and you transfer it to your tiefling ally with fire resistance?

Calculated Withdraw sounds pretty fine as is. It is a bit complicated, but not moreso than Trickery's duplicates. I do find it odd that your duplicate lasts 1 minute (or until destroyed) while the invisibility and movement lasts 1 round.

Nimble Escape feels like it touches on Rogue's toes too much. Does any other class get this as a bonus action (with no cost--I think monks can via spending ki) other than rogue?
I could see 6th level updating your earlier things, like maybe this is where Transfer Damage can impact foes. You could also offer another doubled proficiency bonus, to put Divine Deceiver up on par with Expertise.

Divine Strike -- I'm away from books, but I'm guessing the damage progression is on par with similar abilities from other cleric archetypes. I don't think 'force' damage is a thing in 5e, though, so poison or necrotic probably makes the most sense.

Icon of Cowardice -- I admit I haven't looked at a lot of the capstone feats, so I have trouble comparing this.
It sounds strong. However, this is (from a selfish perspective) just as good as a Rogue's level 5 ability (spend reaction to halve damage). That, combined with the fact you could summon an elemental to give half the damage to, makes it feel too weak.
I think you'd need to be able to give damage to enemies for it to be worthwhile.

Spell list looks good.

FishBot
2017-04-04, 12:00 PM
5th edition, right?
All in all, it sounds like a good idea, but I think Transfer Damage is... tricky.

For Transfer Damage, I could actually see this being able to target an enemy. Or perhaps it gets upgraded at a higher level to let you damage an enemy. That seems comparable with some other Domain powers.
Should this bypass resistance or damage reduction? I can see a 'yes', since your resistance/reduction has already been applied.
As an example, lets say you take 20 damage, and transfer half of it to your rogue ally. Can it use Uncanny Dodge to halve the damage again (so instead of 10, it takes 5)? What if the attack is fire damage and you transfer it to your tiefling ally with fire resistance?

Calculated Withdraw sounds pretty fine as is. It is a bit complicated, but not moreso than Trickery's duplicates. I do find it odd that your duplicate lasts 1 minute (or until destroyed) while the invisibility and movement lasts 1 round.

Nimble Escape feels like it touches on Rogue's toes too much. Does any other class get this as a bonus action (with no cost--I think monks can via spending ki) other than rogue?
I could see 6th level updating your earlier things, like maybe this is where Transfer Damage can impact foes. You could also offer another doubled proficiency bonus, to put Divine Deceiver up on par with Expertise.

Divine Strike -- I'm away from books, but I'm guessing the damage progression is on par with similar abilities from other cleric archetypes. I don't think 'force' damage is a thing in 5e, though, so poison or necrotic probably makes the most sense.

Icon of Cowardice -- I admit I haven't looked at a lot of the capstone feats, so I have trouble comparing this.
It sounds strong. However, this is (from a selfish perspective) just as good as a Rogue's level 5 ability (spend reaction to halve damage). That, combined with the fact you could summon an elemental to give half the damage to, makes it feel too weak.
I think you'd need to be able to give damage to enemies for it to be worthwhile.

Spell list looks good.

Nimble escape is similar to rangers 7th level ability

I actually meant for divine Strike to be poison I don't know why I put force (magic missile damage) instead

Buffed icon of cowardice