PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns/Modules for Murderhobos?

WhismurWanders
2017-04-04, 11:11 AM
So, my normal group wants to play an adventurer group, ie. a crew of pirates, a gang of bandits, a bunch of highwaymen. Are there any modules/campaigns where being a murderhobo is encouraged, or central to the plot?

bryce0lynch
2017-04-04, 06:48 PM
There are a few adventures for evil characters but, frankly, they are not very good, even by the softball standards most adventures are compared to.

Are you willing to stretch a little? I would suggest a hex crawl. The idea is that you have a big hex map. Almost every hex has some sort of little thing in it. The players move around, hex to hex, encountering things and having wandering monsters. The story builds from what THEY do, and from what you build on top of that, rather than some plot you've written in advance.

The Wilderlands series is nice, but in a little bit of an old school format. Hex Crawl Chronicles (from frog god) is good also, and relatively new. Nod is from John Stater, who also did HCC, and has a different flavor from HCC. For a truly bizarre crawl you could choose one of the newer Carcosa crawls (the older ones are a little weak, I think.)

You can google around for "How to run a hex crawl" for more details on how to run them.

This will allow your party to be outlaws, and act like it.

I've attached a comparison of various hex crawl types that I wrote. I hope it helps you:
[ug, can post links yet]

If you google: tenfootpole comparison of hex crawls
then you should get the link.

Arutema
2017-04-04, 07:53 PM
So, my normal group wants to play an adventurer group, ie. a crew of pirates, a gang of bandits, a bunch of highwaymen. Are there any modules/campaigns where being a murderhobo is encouraged, or central to the plot?

You didn't specify a system. If you're into Pathfinder, check out Skull and Shackles, which has the PCs as a pirate crew.

Tiktakkat
2017-04-04, 09:47 PM
*shrugs*

Go old school and convert GDQ1-7.

You fight giants, then underdark monsters, then a demon queen.
Rampant butchery is pretty much the order of the day, though there are a few prisoners you might be inclined to spare scattered here and there.
Or not.

The original backstory of the G series even had the PCs facing the headsman if they failed, so clearly they did something to merit such a fate that makes it likely they have an unpleasant streak to begin with.