PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Homebrewing to fit a setting.

Promethean
2017-04-04, 05:12 PM
Just a threat for anyone who commonly homebrews rules to fit a setting or roleplaying. Trying to see ow far have other people gone. what where your best games?

My favorite I've done was actually one where we came up with the setting first(getting carried away making a industrial age/Renaissance era setting that was post world ending disaster.) and realizing some things couldn't fit in rules without "because plot"(our DM hates making bosses, BBEGs, or events that a Player couldn't do with the same time/resources RAW) so we homebrewed some stuff in(also getting carried away, I'm not sure it was really D&D at that point. The based mechanics were the same, but We'd changed SO much stuff that it felt completely different)

Crake
2017-04-04, 08:25 PM
All the homebrew I do for my setting I make sure is equally available to the players, should they desire, but the only really major change I run to the base rules is an optional LA/gestalt system which both my players and I make liberal use of to great effect. It gives a strong power boost in the early levels, which i'm totally fine with, players can use the extra survivability at low levels, but it evens out around mid levels (about 8-12ish) and after that it falls behind slowly, so by end game it's only really worth it if you were planning on theurging anyway (which is about the only case where it keeps in line unless you would have pulled some major cheese).

Karl Aegis
2017-04-05, 10:12 AM
Duct tape a lich's phylactery to a bike to make it a motorcycle. It works for Grisgols.