PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.P] Help building an encounter

Jeff the Green
2017-04-04, 05:43 PM
My players stay out. Yes, you.

Okay, now that's covered, I'm working on the next segment of my campaign's* main segment. It will be a cult in Sharn and will probably involve three encounters (this is PbP, so that's a significant chunk of time). I have the last one mostly settled**. The second will probably be an elite (i.e gestalt and advanced) arrow demonMMIII and several normal demons, including some melee ones and a battlefield controller.

It's the first I'm struggling with. It will contain the character that originally brought the party to the location, a changeling member of the Silver Flame and a former cabinet trickster, who was supposed to infiltrate and report back, but was mind-controlled. The problem is that, since he's a shapeshifter too, I don't want to have too much overlap between the first and the last.

So, I'd appreciate some help with this. The only real requirement is that the changeling be gestalt and have paladin and cabinet trickster levels (anything he did while mind controlled wouldn't make him fall). He was about level 9 before going into the cult, but can have been granted additional levels or templates by his captors.

*This is high level gestalt in Eberron. They're about to hit 16, and include an archer/summoner Psion//Warblade, a healer/warrior/barrier creator using SoP, a veritable armory worth of blades Investigator//Aegis using Primal Fury maneuvers, and an atomie Swiftblade//Cerebremancer using a homebrew psionic time mage who basically breaks the action economy in half.

Other exceptional characters are gestalt too, but not all powerful ones. King Kaius is, but Jaela isn't. A talented Cannith apprentice might be an Artificer 1//Factotum 1, but your average master artificer is single-classed.

**It's a couple mobsCity of altered humanoids, a yuan-ti half-blood Ruby Knight Vindicator//Yee Naaldlooshii (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?234642-3-5-PrC-With-This-I-Creep-on-All-Fours-The-Skinwalker-(PEACH)), and a Couatl Thoughtsinger (www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-options/bard/thoughtsinger/) with some templates representing corruption and using the SoP mind playtest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505527-Spheres-of-Power-The-Mentalist-s-Handbook-Playtest). The couatl is the leader who's indoctrinated a large number of people and mutated them, the yuan-ti is the second-hand man.

The couatl will focus on buffing using his thoughtsong, Lingering Song (3.5 version), and Dragonfire Song. He'll also be pretty power physically, though reluctant to enter battle himself. The mobs will, well, mob the PCs and try to grapple and tear them apart.