PDA

View Full Version : Best readily available creature for Zombie Bombs?

PapaEmeritusII
2017-04-04, 06:33 PM
Long story short, I am part of a Doomsgaurd party that all heals with negative energy (some by a feat others by DM bonus). So I rolled an undead dread necromancer with Destructive Retribution (Corpsecrafter feat line in Libris Mortis) that cause the undead I create to exploded dealing negative energy when they die. So I am the party healer with a twist.

Anyways, to exploit this further I want to make Undead through animate dead (no outsiders/elementals per my DM....lost this battle after lengthy discussions with arguments made from online forums on the same subject). I am coming in at lvl 15 (one lvl dip in underneathed arcana necromancer for another +2 HP per HD), so Dread Necromancer 14, but I have ways to get my caster level up to 18 for necromancy spells. Anyways, I want to use animate dead specifically (for this at least) so I do not have to worry about the minions disobeying my orders.

The concept is we will be flying more often than not and I will take a zombie off my robe (homebrew robe of many corpses) and chuck it at either enemies and/or allies. I am looking for the following:

1. Something that is exactly 10HD (will become 20HD Zombie)
2. Something that is a common thing so it is easy to find corpses of
3. If it can fly....even better but not crucial.

Then I will damage the newly made zombie until it has approximately 20 HP left so that I can kill it from the falling/bullrush damage (or an attack of opportunity against a charge). Most things we are running up against can easily do 20 damage per round and so I figure this would be a good place to start.

Bodies being the hardest thing here since I can currently animate 200+HD of zombies. I have lists of Outsiders I made before that ruling was finalized but also have easy access to Sigil. So I figure monster X as long as it is not rare, should be something easy to buy if needed. Stats do not matter at all here, just how easy it will be for me to buy/find a ton of these corpses. What monster would you recommend?

Also, on a similar note, any recommendations for material that covers corpse pricing? Would love to buy some hyrdas or some dragons...

BananaNomNom
2017-04-04, 06:37 PM
May I suggest picking up Fell animate then having cages full of Chickens/Rats for bombs that heal a lot due to them always doing 1d6 + 1d6/2 HD?

BananaNomNom
2017-04-04, 07:00 PM
As well, you could even for the bigger monsters just pay for castings of Locate Creature/Gate (if ya got the $)

rel
2017-04-04, 09:53 PM
10 hd with flight?
Owl Archon
Vrock

Common and not outsider?
Gray Render
bearhound
Hydra (10 headed only)
Kelpie
cryosphinx
Allosaurus (a few other dinosaurs also have 10HD)
ettins
hook horrors
huge scorpion (it is huge sadly)
sea tiger
swamplight lynx

Quertus
2017-04-05, 09:38 AM
And why aren't you going the "swarm" of bugs route? Lots more healing per HD of control if you're using 1/4 HD creatures. Just have an (intellinent?) undead minion with a mouthful of bugs. Party needs healing? He has orders to chew (and refill from a handy lunchbox). Heck, doesn't really need to be intelligent, if his orders are to follow the script whenever someone says the command word. Heck, once given said order, you could even release him from your control.

Vaz
2017-04-05, 01:25 PM
Pigeons. Crows. Starlings. Generic non-birds of prey.

PapaEmeritusII
2017-04-06, 11:55 PM
Ty all for the help. The swarm idea intrigues me but not sure how to get the bugs to be undead. Are you saying animate them or buy some undead swarms somehow? Either way this changed my thinking from max creatures (20HD Zombie from base creature with 10HD) to a lot of smaller creatures. For example, a bag of 12 or more skeleton rats with one flask of alchemists fire would do more damage upon explosion.

unseenmage
2017-04-07, 06:33 PM
There are slave prices by CR in Lords of Madness IIRC.

There's also a list in my sig of every template that can be applied to animals that do not change their type. Since theyre technically still animals they can potentially be purchased using the Wartrained (I think thats what its called) template from MM2.

The lists even have d% rolls applied so your GM can simulate a marketplace.

Quertus
2017-04-09, 07:03 AM
Ty all for the help. The swarm idea intrigues me but not sure how to get the bugs to be undead. Are you saying animate them or buy some undead swarms somehow? Either way this changed my thinking from max creatures (20HD Zombie from base creature with 10HD) to a lot of smaller creatures. For example, a bag of 12 or more skeleton rats with one flask of alchemists fire would do more damage upon explosion.

I was suggesting animating each one individually.