PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Low Level Conjuration Spells

Flashy
2017-04-04, 10:16 PM
I really appreciate the 5e conjurer but I find the low level conjuration spells fairly boring. They're almost all about manifesting acid or clouds of poison, sort of lacking the flavor of planar manipulation. This is an attempt to create a handful of low level spells that carry that theming back into the low level conjurer, but hopefully without breaking too hard from existing 5e spell balance principles. Any criticism is much appreciated!

Claws from Beyond
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Clawed hands reach out of a dozen small portals which open in the air around one creature you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d10 slashing damage. The spell's damage increases by one die when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10)

Minor Displacement
Conjuration Cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S

You cause an item weighing 20 lbs or less to teleport up to six inches into an unoccupied space. If the item is held by a creature the creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or the item falls at their feet. If the targeted item is magical in any way the creature holding it has advantage on the saving throw.

Deobury's Dimensional Lackey
1st-level conjuration
Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny brass bell)
Duration: 1 round

You reach out across the dimensional divide and for a few seconds manage to summon and bind a minor entity from another plane of existence. Choose an empty 5' cube within range. The entity is a fiend, celestial, modron, or aberration which appears in that space, assuming a form entirely of your choosing. As a part of the spellcasting you may command the entity to move up to 30' along the ground, and take the dash, dodge, or attack action. The entity is capable of making a single attack using your spellcasting attack modifier, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage and 2d6 damage of a type appropriate to its creature type (fire for fiend, radiant for celestial, force for modron, or necrotic for aberration). The entity has AC 11, 10 Hit Points, and automatically fails saving throws. The entity remains until the start of your next turn.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell through a slot of 2nd level or higher the entity's AC increases by +1 and can deal an additional 1d6 fire, radiant, force, or necrotic damage for each slot level above 1st.

Dimensional Tear
1st-level conjuration
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a razor thin piece of jade)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You rip a narrow hole in the fabric of reality through which dimensional energies pour freely. A tear appears in the air within range, venting energy in a 10' radius. When a creature enters the area for the first time on its turn or starts its turn there it must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save the creature takes 1d10 fire, lightning, cold, or psychic damage. On a successful save the creature takes half as much damage.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell through a slot of 2nd level or higher the damage of the dimensional energy increases by 1d10 for each two slot levels above 1st.

Malicious Conjuration
2nd-level conjuration
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (silk top hat)

With a flourish you reach through space and snatch a small object from another creature. Choose an item held by a creature within range. The creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or the item appears in your hands. If the item targeted by this spell is magical in any way or a weapon with the Heavy property the creature has advantage on the saving throw.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-05, 10:59 AM
I like them! We'll have to do a series of 'low level <school>' spells; I reckon illusion is next on the list.

Just a thought. Malicious Conjuration is basically a ranged, magical Disarm, right? Kind of like how Gust is a ranged, magical Shove, Mage Hand is a ranged, magical Help/Use Object and Blade Ward is a magical Dodge? Can you see where I'm going yet?

That's right, I think it should be a cantrip!

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-04-05, 11:31 AM
I definitely like these, the theme of spacial manipulation is really cool and nicely delivered.

Previous entry deleted on grounds of my own dumb...

Anyhoo still good spells i just cant read things all the way through apparently.

Other suggestion, what about a dimensional spell that does force damage to a creaute/object and has the rider effect of dismissing temporary conjurations?

Something to the effect of cha save vs xd8 force damage, if it is a summoned creature it makes a the save with disadvantage and the damage becomes xd10 instead. A failed save results in the creature being sent away early. - It could be that I'm just obsessed with spells designed against the school of magic they are in.

SilverStud
2017-04-05, 01:17 PM
@Flashy
I really like the flavor of these spells. It feels like Conjuration in a way that not many low-level spells do. Also, the spells themselves are just as advertised: fun, useful, low-level spells.

@Ninja_Prawn
I totally see where you're going with that, and I like it.

Flashy
2017-04-05, 02:05 PM
I originally went back and forth on what spell level Malicious Conjuration should be for ages before settling on second. Basically, I picked second because I felt I couldn't justify pricing a hard (though situational) save or suck spell any lower. There isn't a good way to add in additional saving throws, and because the weapon appears in your hand it can potentially be challenging for the target to deal with.

But you're all right, magical disarming is a great premise for a Conjuration cantrip. I added the Minor Displacement cantrip and increased the range on Malicious Conjuration to help set it apart. It was probably a little weak as a 2nd level spell anyway.