PDA

View Full Version : How could wizard protect himself from deafness?

ayvango
2017-04-04, 10:37 PM
Deafened is very limiting condition to a wizard who relies on verbal components for casting. Is there any magic item or spell that could protect against deafness? Blinded is a similar condition and there items that renders its bearer immune to blind. But I could not find deafness counterpart.

Venger
2017-04-04, 10:45 PM
Deafened is very limiting condition to a wizard who relies on verbal components for casting. Is there any magic item or spell that could protect against deafness? Blinded is a similar condition and there items that renders its bearer immune to blind. But I could not find deafness counterpart.

while that's true, both are comparatively rare as conditions you're likely to run into as PCs.

a blindfold of true darkness is a popular choice to see without mundane sight, so that might be something for blindness. as far as deafness, there isn't an item that will specifically allow you to function as though you can hear if you are deafened like with the blindfold, but a talisman of undying fortitude will give you undead immnities for 3 rounds, so if anything looks like it's going to deafen you, you can whip that bad boy out.

ayvango
2017-04-04, 11:09 PM
There are two items in MIC: Raptor's mask and Googles of the golden sun that grants immunity to blindness and 0 items for deafness.

Cruiser1
2017-04-04, 11:10 PM
Is there any spell that could protect against deafness?
Nezram's Emerald Energy Shield, a Sor/Wiz 4 spell from Lost Empires of Faerun, will make you immune to deafness (and language dependent mind-affecting spells, although that's easy to prevent in other ways). This is a common spell for TO Persistomancers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15110369&postcount=6) to include in their buffs.

lbuttitta
2017-04-05, 07:01 AM
Ring of Counterspells? Alternatively, just grab an item that gives construct/undead immunities, as Venger said.

Uncle Pine
2017-04-05, 04:26 PM

Get this boy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) tattooed on your body for 50 gp, or 50 gp/tattoo if you feel like you'll need protection against several attempts. If you're really nagged by enemies trying to make you blind/deaf, add a capacitor and a mental tap to one of the tattoos (source (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a)) to be able to use it once a day as a swift action. To manifest it several times/day, add a transducer to it and buy a manifesting gauntlet or shuriken.

OR

Ask your DM if you can buy a continuous item of the same power. It's 1st level, so it should be pretty cheap. This second solution is simpler and probably costs one or two thousands gp less than the above, but it requires DM adjudication (as usual with custom magic items).

Segev
2017-04-05, 04:39 PM
You could also try building a custom item based on clairaudience that lets you hear from the location of a particular object (that serves as the other half of the item). It says this scrying spell doesn't let "enhanced" senses operate through it. So presumably your sense of hearing "enhanced" by deafness would not be what you use, but you'd hear normally instead.

The Viscount
2017-04-05, 05:40 PM
You can remove the penalty from being deafened through the use of the synesthete power, perhaps a dorje.

Pleh
2017-04-05, 06:37 PM
Ironically, the silence spell can prevent sonic based attacks from deafening you.

Gildedragon
2017-04-05, 06:56 PM
there's earplugs that give a bonus to STs v deafness

Contingent Spell: Remove Deafness

Mordaedil
2017-04-06, 03:45 AM
Lesser rod of metamagic, silent. Then dispel the deafness.

atemu1234
2017-04-06, 01:05 PM
Ironically, the silence spell can prevent sonic based attacks from deafening you.

Consider: If you are already completely deaf, it's pretty difficult for your hearing to get worse.

Gildedragon
2017-04-06, 01:14 PM
Consider: If you are already completely deaf, it's pretty difficult for your hearing to get worse.

Once in a game I deafened our party's sorcerer to prevent him from being affected by some effect... A suggestion to jump overboard iirc

souridealist
2017-04-06, 02:05 PM
I fully acknowledge that this answer is hilariously boring, but you could always buy a potion or two of Remove Blindness/Deafness and carry them around with you. It would admittedly cost you an action to drink them, but it's 750gp per potion and it's slotless. (Also, core mechanics.) And hey, it also helps if you do get blinded!

Pleh
2017-04-06, 03:45 PM

True, it is hard to become more deaf than deaf.

But you aren't deaf under a silence spell. Your hearing works fine. It's that no sound can exist in the area of the spell. If you're the one casting it, it can be used selectively and defensively to prevent actual deafness.

Venger
2017-04-06, 03:54 PM
True, it is hard to become more deaf than deaf.

But you aren't deaf under a silence spell. Your hearing works fine. It's that no sound can exist in the area of the spell. If you're the one casting it, it can be used selectively and defensively to prevent actual deafness.

I"m not sure if silence works that way exactly.

If you're in a 5-ft wide hall and cast silence in the middle, I'm not sure if it blocks sound from traveling from one end to the other if both are out of the spell's range.

Pleh
2017-04-06, 05:46 PM
I"m not sure if silence works that way exactly.

If you're in a 5-ft wide hall and cast silence in the middle, I'm not sure if it blocks sound from traveling from one end to the other if both are out of the spell's range.

That's a DM call.

I was more thinking about a caster who casts Silence on themselves for a moment of protection, then dismisses it to cast something else.

Not perfect, but it's cheap and effective at low level.

Thurbane
2017-04-07, 12:13 AM
A couple of spells give immune to deafness: Stone Body (Wiz 6) and Iron Body (Wiz 8).

There may be others as well...

Venger
2017-04-07, 12:26 AM
A couple of spells give immune to deafness: Stone Body (Wiz 6) and Iron Body (Wiz 8).

There may be others as well...

body of war I think does

Mordaedil
2017-04-07, 04:00 AM
I fully acknowledge that this answer is hilariously boring, but you could always buy a potion or two of Remove Blindness/Deafness and carry them around with you. It would admittedly cost you an action to drink them, but it's 750gp per potion and it's slotless. (Also, core mechanics.) And hey, it also helps if you do get blinded!
This ends up being cheaper than my suggestion too, depending on how often it comes up.

But if you get defeaned more than 5 times, I'd call my DM uninventive.

ross
2017-04-07, 05:24 PM
Cast Vocalize.

Venger
2017-04-07, 07:06 PM
Cast Vocalize.

did they carry vocalize over into 3.x?