PDA

View Full Version : At-will fly <=lv8

Dr. Cliché
2017-04-05, 06:21 AM
Other than the Aarakocra and Winged Tiefling races, are there any races or classes that have some manner of at-will flight at or before lv8?

Newtonsolo313
2017-04-05, 06:32 AM
Other than the Aarakocra and Winged Tiefling races, are there any races or classes that have some manner of at-will flight at or before lv8?

Kobold chain lock?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-05, 06:34 AM
Hmm... maybe the ol' halfling/gnome-beastmaster-on-a-pteranodon?

Plus homebrew, obviously.

Dr. Cliché
2017-04-05, 06:34 AM
Kobold chain lock?

I'm afraid I'm not following.

Lombra
2017-04-05, 06:40 AM
Kobold chain lock?

I'm guessing Quasit familiar?

Dr. Cliché
2017-04-05, 06:41 AM
I'm guessing Quasit familiar?

Okay, but I don't understand how that will help the kobold fly. :smallconfused:

Lombra
2017-04-05, 06:45 AM
Okay, but I don't understand how that will help the kobold fly. :smallconfused:

The Quasit is medium, the Kobold is small, I think the kobold may be able to ride it. Flying kobold blaster on a Quasit.

Chunkosaurus
2017-04-05, 06:45 AM
The UA artificer construct can be a flying companion like a Giant Eagle or Owl which give can carry you as long as you aren't too big and they get it at 6.

Edit: I thought of another UA one the Raven Queen warlock can merge with it's Raven at 6 for at will flight.

Dr. Cliché
2017-04-05, 06:53 AM
The Quasit is medium, the Kobold is small, I think the kobold may be able to ride it.

Quasits are tiny, not medium. :smalltongue:

hymer
2017-04-05, 07:02 AM
An eighth level druid gets flying wild shapes. Two per rest for 4 hours per use. Assuming two short rests and one long rest per day, it could mean up to 4x6=24 hours - in theory though not in practice.
This isn't entirely at-will, but it's about as at-will as the suggestions about getting a flying pet of some sort to carry you. That's something the druid can do from level 1 at the earliest (Animal Friendship and a highly permissive DM), and level 5 at the latest (Conjure Animals), though not at all at-will.

Lombra
2017-04-05, 07:10 AM
Wait I totally got confused. I confused the Quasit with that flying snake. My bad. I think it's called Couatl.

hymer
2017-04-05, 07:12 AM
Wait I totally got confused. I confused the Quasit with that flying snake. My bad. I think it's called Couatl.

There's a flying snake called Flying Snake. It's CR 1/8.

Lombra
2017-04-05, 07:15 AM
There's a flying snake called Flying Snake. It's CR 1/8.

Thank you but I was referring to the celestial, my bad :/

SharkForce
2017-04-05, 10:40 AM

if it makes you feel better, iirc a typical small character can easily weigh less than a chain lock familiar's carry capacity :)

Maxilian
2017-04-05, 10:58 AM
There are some ways:

-Kobold Warlock with an Imp or Quasit could have the familiar carry it around. (Lvl 3)

-Artificer UA (lvl 8)

-Ranger Beastmaster (PHB) as a small race can use some Flying creatures as mounts (like the famous Pterodactyl LVL 3)

-Druids can transform at lvl 8 in some flying beasts (like the Flying Snake)

-Warlock, Raven Queen gets the ability to merge with the crow at lvl 6

Note: And i guess a Fire Genasi (because of the cantrip they get -or anyone with a cantrip that produces flames) that have enough money to make a Aerostatic balloon.

hymer
2017-04-05, 11:57 AM

Hey, no worries. I just thought it was funny. :smallsmile:

joaber
2017-04-05, 05:58 PM
Quasits are tiny, not medium. :smalltongue:

Imp can carry 45lbs, kobolt can weight 15lbs... now you can fly and is invisible at lvl 3.

Zene
2017-04-06, 01:00 AM
Gnome wizard casts reduce at L3, then rides his familiar or even his own mage hand

::edit whoops, not at will::

Blacky the Blackball
2017-04-06, 02:20 AM
Depending on how easy it is to acquire magic items in your setting, a Broom of Flying only costs 500gp and doesn't even require an attunement slot.

In my experience, characters will often spend their first major treasure find on one and usually the whole party can fly by level two or three.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-04-06, 04:20 AM
I believe an artificer can get a flying mount from his mechanical companion feature.

Maxilian
2017-04-06, 08:49 AM
Another couple of options:

-Be 3 lvl Wizard Artificer (will have acess to Potion of Growth) be a Ranger 3 BM (Get a medium race with flying), make it big for 1d4 hours, and ride it around (Work both with Small or medium races) -I have done this one in a game (played around with a Ranger / Wizard grappler)

-Be a Mystic (v3) and use Miniature Form to become Tiny, now you can go with Find Familiar and you got a mount (This can be done by Lvl 4 with Magic Initiate or by lvl 3 with 2 lvl Mystic and 1 lvl Warlock raven queen for the Raven mount -Carry not really mount-)

-Be a Mystic lvl 5, go with the Bestial Form Discipline and you can fly for 1 hour (need to spend only 5 points so you can do that a couple of times)

Note: Have in mind that most Familiars (all but the Octopus, are Tiny creature so you would need to be smaller than tiny to actually use them as a mount, they could carry you if they have the enought STR though).

Note2: If you go with Mystic 2 and Wizard Artificer 2, you will be able to use your familiar as a mount (Become tiny with the miniature form discipline and make your familiar drink the potion of growth)

Note3: You could do the familiar as a mount with Microscopic form from Mystic but require at least 9 lvls, so not an option for the thread.

erok0809
2017-04-06, 09:58 PM
I always see the Winged Tiefling and Aarakocra brought up for natural flight, but doesn't the Avariel (winged elf, SCAG) get flight as well? Obviously this doesn't answer the OP, since they're clearly not looking for racial flight, but I figure it's relevant, and I'm just confused.