PDA

View Full Version : achievment, adventure, or magical item 3.5

j!nx
2017-04-05, 10:04 AM
what was your favorite characters achievement,adventure or magical item? looking to read some story's about other players characters and reminisce on the good times it was a rainy morning when I started to ponder this thought figured I would just throw it up on here and see what other players story's I am much intrigued into reading the responses

j!nx
2017-04-05, 12:27 PM
19 views and not a single favorite character story..what a shame

Gildedragon
2017-04-05, 12:42 PM
Well it helps if you start things off with your own things of note

j!nx
2017-04-05, 01:35 PM
ah yes very good point gildedragon...
I must say one of my achievement characters named Lucian was a half vampire elf fighter who built a inn off of a main road headed to a city, I started that inn from scratch with 1,000by buying the land, to materials to hiring carpenters, it was a single story building with 5 rooms including my own room and a tavern room, after a couple years of business and troubles from bandits and enemies it ended up being a 3 story building with 20 guest rooms a feast hall with a restaurant a drinking room a full bath house, animal pen, and garden, it was called the blue dragon inn, I really enjoyed running numbers and problems to the events and going from something so small to a estate, Lucian started his dream at level 5 and finished it at level 13 (11 fighter 2 barbarian),

j!nx
2017-04-05, 01:37 PM
1000 gold pieces*

Karl Aegis
2017-04-05, 02:12 PM
Well, that makes one of my stories seem not very exciting. They spent over an hour at a wafflehouse trying to figure out how to decide how to order waffles before the party dragged them down the street where we found an enemy general shopping for goodies. They ended up getting in a fight with the shopkeeper and dying while the rest of the party jumped the general and won.

BaronDoctor
2017-04-05, 02:41 PM
Casting Shatter on the mayor's pants during a city council meeting.

Okay, that kinda needs a bit of explanation.

We'd been digging around in this port town and discovered that the renovation of the town's lighthouse would include something that did something nasty for the world and good for yuan-ti cultists and their flunkies. After a bit of searching (including the discovery of a muffin recipe on a natural 1 Search that would go on to define the theme for every natural 1 afterward), we discovered that their flunkies all had a tattoo on their ass. And the mayor was one of them. They were coming up to a vote about the lighthouse at the city council meeting and we had failed to influence them by Bluff or Diplomacy (which saddened me as a bard, but this is the way of things). The only other caster in the group was my Warmage cohort. (We had a priestess friend in town and we managed to get by without other casting).

So we needed to find a way to discredit the mayor. We hit on the idea of showing off his tattoo. But how? We couldn't attack him, that would harm him and we'd lose our credibility. So I dug through the warmage spell list and came upon shatter, which includes among viable targets: a single nonmagical object regardless of composition. There are no magic pants in 3.5.

That started a brawl between the supporters and opposition to the mayor and the cult.

------

Okay, the other one I'm proud of is getting Dragonfire Inspiration banned as a feat for being too powerful.

My brother was playing a Dervish. He was challenged to a duel by the orcish version of Blackbeard.

Now, being an orc, he didn't pay any attention to the fact that my bard was cheerleading my brother's (more or less standard) Dervish. I laid down Words of Creation Inspirational Boost Inspire Courage and then Words of Creation Inspirational Boost DFI.

My brother made a moving TWF full attack (dervish dance) with cutlasses (scimitars). The result was something on the order of 4d6 + 40 damage...plus like 24d6 of fire.

It worked, the guy went down, and the GM said "pick another feat, that's too many D6s."

Dagroth
2017-04-05, 02:59 PM
Played a Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger back in the days of AD&D 2.0. It was my standard character in most campaigns... but one campaign we did the "Against the Giants" modules, followed by a bunch of stuff that never actually led us down into the Underdark series of modules.

We ended up with so much spare magic gear that we outfitted an NPC we liked back in our home-base town. Because of the rules regarding gaining XP when you get magic gear, we only gave him one or two pieces at a time. He ended up the local protector as a 7th level fighter.

My character ended up retiring to his tower in the forest, married to a former Genie. The Paladin ended up retiring in the Big City, married to the Drow Fighter girl he defeated and (with a lot of RPing) convinced to become Lawful Good.

IIzak
2017-04-05, 03:05 PM
I remember a character I played named Skor. He was a Warforged artificer and his whole character concept was that he made magic items. I remember my DM telling me to get super creative with item creation and so I came up with what I believe to be one of the best/funniest magic items ever: The Horn of Gondor.

The Horn of Gondor was a horn similar to the one carried around by Boromir in Lord of the Rings. When it was blown, 1d4 orcs with bows would be magically summoned, and begin shooting arrows at the person who blew the horn. That was all. But it was such a funny concept for a cursed item that we still talk about it almost 4 years after the fact. Best magic item I ever made.

j!nx
2017-04-05, 03:40 PM
the shatter spell is hilarious what awesome way to help solve a problem,
that cursed item is so great I would like to see that happen in game

flappeercraft
2017-04-05, 05:25 PM
So this is a bit on combat and I will be telling about 2 stories. So currently I'm running a campaign that is completely cheese based, all allowed that is 3.5 1st party source, nonupdated 3.0, WotC archive and Dragon/Dungeon magazine. In this game a couple of months ago (Nov/Dec) I came up with the idea of setting up a team battle tournament 5v5 with 21st level characters where I would use the BBEG and his guards which are actually lower level as my team (It was intentional, it was so they knew how to prepare better as they were optimized but not close to the BBEG). Only me and 1 of my players were able to do it, so there I go and as the BBEG go first along with all his flunkies, move in closer, quickly add a buff and end my round while my flunkies just got closer with me while one who was the only ranged guard starts attacking with his crossbow and kills his Dragonwrought Kobold caster. Then the other player goes and buffs his Ubercharger and readies an action to defend as he noticed the threat my guys posed, and all his other character attack, cast spells and try to debuff and end me. Small amount of damage, no debuffs work to the guards and recover all that health next round. So as the BBEG I go and blast down 2 characters dead and with one of my guards who uses a crossbow I disarm his Ubercharger while 1 guard positions himself ready to trip anyone who does anything (Feats used for Aoo's) and 2 other guards go and start flanking the ubercharger and avoid his attack and just kill him nearly instantly. Then the BBEG goes and kills off his team Invis guy who was far away and the player thought was safe. Then his paralyzed psion (Paralyzed by crossbow guy last round with a poison) casts the Psionic version of wish (always forget the name) and gets himself out and the corpses of his dead friends. I then proceed to resurrect them and offer them a job and they now work for me.

As for the second one, the same player has shown he was really confident he could beat the BBEG even though I told him the last fight was a previous version of the BBEG to make it fair-ish and I decided to show him a portion of the power of the BBEG at some point. I ask him for help testing a build but then I noticed a lot of mistakes in that build so I asked why not test the BBEG instead and he agrees. So we start combat him using now a Gestalt version of the psion on a 1v1 against the BBEG which I just said was a practice fight to the death (loser gets resurrected) and I let him start, he goes and casts 3 times Crystallize and all of those fail to SR. I was going with DM fiat to suppress some of the BBEG's buffs for advantage to him on the forst round. I then decide to go full on, blast him and he just dies instantly receiving 1305 damage from a twinned Orb of fire matamagicked.

j!nx
2017-04-10, 12:26 PM
have any of you ever DM a game or been in one where there's a huge alignment difference such as my instance were party is CG and our new player is LE?

Karl Aegis
2017-04-10, 12:40 PM
have any of you ever DM a game or been in one where there's a huge alignment difference such as my instance were party is CG and our new player is LE?

Yes. We passed around a headband of intellect. Problems were resolved quickly.

Gildedragon
2017-04-10, 01:21 PM

Simple DM decree: I don't care how you rationalize it but the party collaborates and is on generally friendly terms with one another. Also I will not brook grotesquely and gratuitously evil actions. Party before alignment, table enjoyment before party. Got it?

Opposite alignments can be BFFs. It might be a bit screwbally but players gotta be willing to put that effort in.
I've had CGs get along with LEs before. There's a bit of banter calling each other names and teasing. LE Crusader protecting the CG factotum against LN city guards, vouching for the factotum; and the factotum interceding for the Crusader against an NG cleric (touting the virtues of mercy and redemption)