PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5/PF] The mighty Battlefist

Agahnim
2017-04-05, 10:32 AM
Please help me interpret the description of the Battlefist (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/battlefist).
The way I see it, it is a weapon. More specifically a +1 spiked gauntlet (although better enhancements are "not uncommon"). As a side effect, it upgrades a warforged's slams from 1d4 to 1d8 (assuming medium size, thus before INA et al.), and upgrades a warforged monk's unarmed strike by 1 size.
I plan to use this "spiked gauntlet" as a main weapon, followed by secondary natural slam attacks (two of these thanks to the "second slam" feat). Here are my questions :
- Does the "spiked gauntlet" side of the Battlefist benefit from the "slam size increase" effect? It would make sense from an RP point of view : it is described as an oversized gauntlet, and one can assume that the slam upgrade comes from the gauntlet's sheer size... or is it from the bull's strength used in the item's creation, imbuing the warforged's entire body? What do you think ?
- Do slam attacks made by the wearer benefit from the gauntlet's enhancement bonus (+1 by default)?
- More generally, do effects that apply to the battlefist as a weapon (e.g. weapon focus, bless weapon, made of cold iron, etc) apply to the wearer's slams, and do effects that apply to the warforged's slams apply to the spiked gauntlet (e.g. improved natural attack, GMF, etc)?
Thanks a lot!

Karl Aegis
2017-04-05, 12:40 PM
It isn't a spiked gauntlet. It says it is a weapon but it deals no damage itself. I assume that is to change what feat is used to craft one. But, no. It does exactly what it says it does. Your slam damage is bludgeoning and piercing damage and deals 1d8 + enhancement bonus damage. Congratulations, you spent extra money on a +1 morning star. Well, to make a slam into the equivalent of a simple weapon.

Agahnim
2017-04-05, 01:08 PM
How is it not a weapon? The text literally begins with "this +1 weapon". Not to mention the craft magic weapons and armor prerequisite. These elements seem to indicate that the battlefield is intended for use as a (manufactured) weapon.
Can you provide any arguments to back up your answer? It's not just that I disagree with you - I just didn't understand your point.

Karl Aegis
2017-04-05, 02:08 PM
My point was it does exactly what it says it does. I never said it wasn't a weapon. It just deals no damage because it doesn't say it deals damage. It's a weapon that modifies a weapon.

Agahnim
2017-04-05, 02:57 PM
Ooh, now I understand! That's a good solution, since it avoids all the other questions altogether.
I guess I'll just wield any other weapon to make my BAB attacks, then switch to secondary slams with the 'fist. 👊