PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Do bane weapons stack?

Particle_Man
2017-04-05, 12:07 PM
I have a weapon that is +1 bane (evil outsiders) and bane (chaotic outsiders) and I hit a demon; what happens?

I have a holy, axiomatic +1 weapon and I hit a demon; what happens?

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-05, 12:57 PM
By a strict reading the +2 to enhancement bonus from Bane doesn't stack since it says "+2 better than the normal enhancement bonus". The +2d6 damage stacks though.

The damage from Holy and Axiomatic stacks against chaotic evil opponents.

Dagroth
2017-04-05, 02:37 PM
Don't forget that it's actually +2d6+2 extra damage, because the Bane's extra +2 enhancement bonus doesn't restrict itself to just to-hit rolls.

And a +1 Holy, Axiomatic, Evil Outsider Bane, Chaotic Outsider Bane weapon would do +8d6+3 damage against Demons.

Particle_Man
2017-04-06, 05:21 PM
Does a +5 bane (evil outsider) weapon become +7 when attacking (and hitting) a demon?

Dagroth
2017-04-06, 05:55 PM
Does a +5 bane (evil outsider) weapon become +7 when attacking (and hitting) a demon?

Yes. Because the text of the Bane enhancement is a case of "Specific over General" rules.

However, it is still not "Epic" despite having an effective (not actual) +7 enhancement bonus to hit and damage.

Tytalus
2017-04-06, 07:13 PM
However, it is still not "Epic" despite having an effective (not actual) +7 enhancement bonus to hit and damage.

Why is that?

Dagroth
2017-04-06, 08:32 PM
Because the item has an Enhancement bonus of +5, regardless of what the Bane effect provides.

Ellrin
2017-04-07, 01:00 AM
I know the thread tag says 3E, but to derail just a little, this made me curious about whether a Pathfinder magus with the bane blade arcana could spend an additional 2 arcane pool points to add two different banes to his weapon when he's enhancing it from his arcane pool. I don't see anything RAW preventing it at a glance.

Particle_Man
2017-04-07, 02:10 AM
I am not sure. Is the "bane" enchantment like a feat, so that you cannot apply it twice (unless the feat says you can)? If so, my original question is answered by saying there are no +1 bane (evil outsider) bane (chaotic outsider) weapons.

Crake
2017-04-07, 03:24 AM
Yes. Because the text of the Bane enhancement is a case of "Specific over General" rules.

Where are you getting the idea that an "effective" enhancement bonus of +7 is not sufficient to overcome DR/epic? To quote the epic DR rule

A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons; that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus.

The same way magic weapon provides an "effective" enhancement bonus and allows a weapon to overcome DR/magic, the bane ability allows a +4 or higher weapon to overcome DR/epic against the kind of creature it's made to kill.

The item itself is not an epic item, that is correct, but the attack will still overcome epic DR.

DarkSoul
2017-04-07, 08:13 AM
The same way magic weapon provides an "effective" enhancement bonus and allows a weapon to overcome DR/magic, the bane ability allows a +4 or higher weapon to overcome DR/epic against the kind of creature it's made to kill.

The item itself is not an epic item, that is correct, but the attack will still overcome epic DR.This. Anyone not allowing a +4 bane weapon to penetrate epic DR against a bane creature would hate how Pathfinder handles it.

Regarding the OP: A +1 evil outsider bane, chaotic outsider bane longsword would become a +3 weapon dealing 1d8+4d6+3 base damage against a demon.