PDA

View Full Version : Question about the RoD chamelon and item crafting

Gobliin
2017-04-05, 12:10 PM
If I have the item creation feat, can I use the spell I and the caster level I gain from the chameleon class to craft a magic item?

Venger
2017-04-05, 12:51 PM
Yes. You can.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-05, 01:53 PM
Better yet, you can use the Chameleon's floating feat to pick up the crafting feat of your choice, then replace it with something else while you're doing your actual adventuring.

Venger
2017-04-05, 02:00 PM
Better yet, you can use the Chameleon's floating feat to pick up the crafting feat of your choice, then replace it with something else while you're doing your actual adventuring.

This is especially helpful for warlocks, who often dip chameleon 2. beware though, you can't use your CL from your aptitude foci to qualify for feats (unfortunately even your free-floating) so this is only an option if you have a cl from someplace else somehow, which many chameleons do.

Khedrac
2017-04-05, 03:45 PM
If I have the item creation feat, can I use the spell I and the caster level I gain from the chameleon class to craft a magic item?

The actual answer is yes, but you cannot actually qualify for the item creation feat through the Chameleon class, so you can only use your floating feat for the ability if you qualify through another class.

[Quote=Races of Destiny]You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option.[quote]You only get your caster level from your Aptitude Focus ability (specifically Arcane Focus and Divine Focus) and thus your are specifically barred from using it to qualify for takign a feat.
Item creation feets without a caster-level pre-requisite (e.g. scribe scroll) can be taken, but not ones with one (e.g. Create Wondrous Item).

Note: the side effect of this is that if you are not in either Arcane Focus or Divine Focus then you are not technically a spellcaster (depending on your other classes) and, for example, won't take a penalty on a save vs Feeblemind...