PDA

View Full Version : Undying light warlock, can't pick a race.

Dudewithknives
2017-04-05, 02:00 PM
Finally have a character planned and now I have hot a snag, what race to put with it.

Undying light patron tome pact warlock who will take shillelagh.

Normal point buy for stats.

No multiclassing.

1 free bonus feat at level 1, but at level 4 must boost stats not take a feat.

I was thinking medium armor for the free feat.

The issue is: what race.

Human: could get some nice stats with all those +1's, and lack of darkvision will not really matter thanks to devils sight.

Variant human: another bonus feat could be pretty sweet.

Aasimar: +2 to my major stat and a bonus +1's to another. One redundant resistance but oh well. Their 1/long rest ability is pretty nice too.

Half-elf: can't go wrong with stats and skills.

The only real thing is that I would not mind having medium armor training, or the equivilent.

NecroDancer
2017-04-05, 02:06 PM
Kobold gives you pack tactics.

An Air Genasi is always nice to get 16 in both Con and Dex (plus levitate).

Half-Orc gets you intimidate and relentless endurance.

Drow gives you some nice bonus spells and give a charisma bonus.

Yuan-Ti is extremely strong with poison immunity, magic resistance, some innate spells, and a charisma bonus.

Consensus
2017-04-05, 02:28 PM
If you're so interested in armor proficiency, you could start as a dwarf so you get medium armor, and then take the feat for heavy armor. Or just take a different feat

Dudewithknives
2017-04-05, 02:32 PM
If you're so interested in armor proficiency, you could start as a dwarf so you get medium armor, and then take the feat for heavy armor. Or just take a different feat

The issue with mountain dwarf is that I am a Warlock who will be using Shillelagh and spells, and they do not get a charisma bonus.
Also I do not really need the strength bonus, and they get medium armor, but they do not get shields.

Sigreid
2017-04-05, 02:35 PM
The most entertaining answer would be a deep gnome or drow, because of their darkness thing. 😃

Dudewithknives
2017-04-05, 02:37 PM
The most entertaining answer would be a deep gnome or drow, because of their darkness thing. 😃

The character is for the Out of the Abyss game, so yeah that would be kind of cool.

NO SPOILERS though please, if you happen to have been through the game.

Sigreid
2017-04-05, 02:48 PM
The character is for the Out of the Abyss game, so yeah that would be kind of cool.

NO SPOILERS though please, if you happen to have been through the game.

Wouldn't spoil. It would be entertaining if they, having been born to darkness really hate the dark. Dim light is ok, but the character prefers it as bright as possible.

Level2intern
2017-04-05, 02:59 PM
I always start by looking at the primary attack stat races. Since you are using Cha for melee attacks too this is doubly important. I think Dex is probably your next most important stat. Races with bonus to Cha and Dex are: human, vuman, drow, Lightfoot halfling, half elf, and tabaxi. Drow spells are a nice addition to your arsenal but the light sensitivity is annoying. Half-drow variant can get you the spells without the drawback.

If you end up taking medium armor then you don't have to worry about Dex past 14. Then options like the winged Tiefling and yuan-ti become very appealing.

Maxilian
2017-04-05, 03:17 PM
The issue with mountain dwarf is that I am a Warlock who will be using Shillelagh and spells, and they do not get a charisma bonus.
Also I do not really need the strength bonus, and they get medium armor, but they do not get shields.

Then go Variant Human so you can get the Armor proficiency with the extra feat and still use the +1 in CHA and +1 in DEX.

Note: Underdark campaign, being able to see in the dark is important, but you get that from Warlock (If you plan on going melee i assume you are taking the False Life evocation, right?)

Spiritchaser
2017-04-05, 03:24 PM
Personally I'd go half elf, especially with the extra feat, but I must admit: Yuan Ti is pretty tempting too.

Before going medium armor, consider what your dex can be. With an extra feat, you basically get an extra ASI in there somewhere. That might make it possible to go high dex with armor of shadows. Better for initiative, better for saves and probably comparable AC.

Unless of course you just see your character wearing half plate, in which case more power to you.

Dudewithknives
2017-04-05, 04:26 PM
Then go Variant Human so you can get the Armor proficiency with the extra feat and still use the +1 in CHA and +1 in DEX.

Note: Underdark campaign, being able to see in the dark is important, but you get that from Warlock (If you plan on going melee i assume you are taking the False Life evocation, right?)

Being good in melee is the backup plan, not his main focus.

The group is:

An Open Hand Monk
A Moon Druid
A Rogue who plans to be melee not archer, probably scout.
and me.

I plan to do mostly eldritch blast and have pretty good defense for when we get attacked by more than 4 creatures, which I would assume would be often enough that standing around with a 15 AC is not a good plan.

My plan is this:

Stay close enough to the group that we are each other's back up but I will be casting eldritch blast.
I will not be casting darkness offensively because nobody else in the group will be able to see through it and they are all melee, unless the enemy is far enough away that it is more to soften them up for melee before they get there.
Shillelagh and Green Flame blade on an Undying Light Warlock is some very solid melee if it comes up when I need to use it.

My invocations I have planned were:

@2 Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight
@5 Either Repelling Blast or Tome of Ancient Secrets
@7 The Invocation not taken at level 5
Not sure past that.