PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 2 metamagics for my sorcerers out there (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-04-05, 02:53 PM
Selfless Spell
When you cast a spell with a range of self, you can spend 2 sorcery points to change the spells range from self to touch, allowing it to target a willing creature you touch.

Echoing Spell
When you cast a spell with an instantaneous duration, you can expend a number of sorcery points equal to twice the slot level used (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip). At the beginning of your next turn the spells effects repeat affecting the same area or targeting the same targets. This repeat effect originates from the space where the spell was cast to determine source and extent of the spells range.

This one needs a lot of fine tuning and word cleanup. I'm considering a couple of limits/changes to instill:

Sorcery point cost equal to the amount required to create the same spell slot.
Limiting the level of spell that can be created (using spell point conversions could be a solid hard limit at 5th level slots)
Uses a bonus action on the turn cast.
Requires the use of a bonus action on the following round. Not doing so loses the spell.
Adjust metamagic to echo a spell from the previous round as a bonus action, same effects/conditions as previous.

Flashy
2017-04-05, 03:28 PM
I really love both of these. I did a sort of cursory pass looking for broken combinations for selfless and couldn't find anything. My only question would be how you intend it to interact with sort of wacky corner cases like eyebite which are technically range self but really impact other creatures. The target just gains the actions provided by eyebite as though they had cast it?

I think my favorite version of echoing spell is both the bonus action and the point cost equal to slot creation cost. It's like the Sorcerer is directly converting the sorcery points into an immediately cast spell, but with interesting limitations. It's also probably worth explicitly clarifying what happens if you echo a spell on a creature who is no longer a valid target. A magic missile that hits a dead target, a hold person that goes off on a target who has been polymorphed, etc.

LeonBH
2017-04-10, 09:20 AM
I love Selfless Spell. It lets you finally share, for example, See Invisibility or Detect Thoughts.

Echoing Spell, on the other hand, is difficult to place. A combination of Evard's Black Tentacles plus Echoing 5th level Fireball provides two casts of Fireballs over two rounds, but leaves your action still available for casting another 5th level Echoing Fireball. Provided you're high enough level and use your bonus action to ensure you don't run out of Sorc Points, you become a terror of flames.

Do you intend Echoing Spell to work with damage spells in this way?

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-04-10, 01:46 PM
@LeonBH, you bring up a fair point. I'm really ok with the idea of making spells with a reflash effect. I want to be able to create an effect separate from a simple quicken spell. As is stands I like the echo-ed part to target the same initial targets or area (as appropriate for the spell).

Echoing Spell
When you cast a spell with an instantaneous duration, you can expend a number of sorcery points equal to the amount that is needed to produce a spell slot of the same level with your Font of Magic feature (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip). You can use your bonus action during your next turn to cause the spells effects to repeat. This repeat effect originates from the space where the spell was cast to determine source and extent of the spells range. The repeat effect targets the same creatures or area (as appropriate for the spell). If the spells targets are no longer valid, the spell effects are repeated but do not function against any invalid targets.

Does the ability to echo a spell need to be limited to 5th level (via font of magic specification) or should it be allowed to treat sorcery points as spell points (thus allowing for double tapped 6th level and higher slots).

As it stands, it feels like its a tad wordy, but i wanted to try and cover bases to ensure it has all the needed allowances and limitations stated.