PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Patron: The Undead Lord

Giegue
2017-04-05, 06:27 PM
As the title says. I thought that the Warlock was missing a good "Necromaner" option but giving them Animate Dead as a spell is a no-go due to the interaction between animate dead and short rest spell slots. However, at the same time, giving them an animate dead invocation also dosen't work, because 1/day animate dead is nowhere near enough to be a viable "necromancer." As a result, I created this patron for warlocks, in an effort to try and make a viable undead pet option for warlocks. However, I have no idea how balanced it is. So if anybody has any any thoughts/opinions on the balance of this I'd be grateful!

Warlock Patron: The Undead Lord (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kSitq9QIII2Fo-BjemQ4Sh_Tehvs1dNdR5MhYDhHNqM/edit?usp=sharing)

sorryjzargo
2017-04-05, 09:21 PM
I like the ideas and flavor, but I feel like using Charisma for all of these features is adding more complication than necessary, and to be honest, how charismatic is a typical necromancer in fiction? I think you should just stick with Wisdom. Also, I feel like Control Undead is potentially overpowered, especially at lower levels. Also there's an empty blank page at the end, not sure why that's there.
Overall, looks like a fun subclass to play, but I'd have to tweak it a bit before I allowed it in my game.

Giegue
2017-04-05, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I realized that after the fact and am tweaking the cleric a bunch. So I edited this thread to instead share my warlock, since I can't deleat a thread. So I just re-purposed it instead. Thoughts on the Necro Warlock are appreciated and I will re-post the cleric later when its in better shape.

ravencroft0
2017-04-11, 06:55 PM
Keep in mind charisma doesn't necessarily mean how much of a party-face you can be. It also applies to your presence, how well you command attention by simply being in the room. Personal will and devotion usually falls under Wisdom, outward control (key word: control) and power of presence can easily be charisma.

Doesn't undeath cleric fall under the DMG Death domain?