PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help Picking Spells for Lore Bard Please

QUARE
2017-04-05, 08:47 PM
I am starting a new homebrew campaign soon with just one other player who is playing a Way of the Open Hand Monk. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. The premise is that the two of us are long time mates on a small galley. I'm the captain and the other player is the first mate. We will be sailing around and participate in naval combat as well as the standard stuff. My DM really rewards creativity, so this should be really fun and neat! We will start at level 10 and have 10 crew mates that are reskinned bandits. The hints that my DM have dropped so far are: be prepared to protect the ship and be sure to have some AOE. Oh, and by the way, I'm a Lightfoot Halfing and the Monk is a V. Human getting Tough or Mobile. So, I need help picking out my spells and choosing my 2 Magical Secrets. Thanks everybody!

BiPolar
2017-04-05, 09:01 PM
I am starting a new homebrew campaign soon with just one other player who is playing a Way of the Open Hand Monk. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. The premise is that the two of us are long time mates on a small galley. I'm the captain and the other player is the first mate. We will be sailing around and participate in naval combat as well as the standard stuff. My DM really rewards creativity, so this should be really fun and neat! We will start at level 10 and have 10 crew mates that are reskinned bandits. The hints that my DM have dropped so far are: be prepared to protect the ship and be sure to have some AOE. Oh, and by the way, I'm a Lightfoot Halfing and the Monk is a V. Human getting Tough or Mobile. So, I need help picking out my spells and choosing my 2 Magical Secrets. Thanks everybody!

Even though it's only a 4th level spell, I'd say you HAVE to take Control Water(4th level, 10th level magical secrets) and Water Walk (3rd level, 6th level magical secrets).

Other than that, fireball is always a nice magical secret for 6th level secrets and Bigby for 10th level might be good.

For Bard spells, I'd consider:

1 - Dissonant Whispers (grants OA to your monk and bandits), See Invisibility, Cure Wounds, Healing Word
2 - Heat Metal, Hold Person, Shatter (against other ship sails, masts, etc.)
3 - Dispel Magic, Tiny Hut (safe LR), Hypnotic Pattern, Fear, Polymorph, Dimension Door, Animate Objects, Hold Monster

I think I have one extra spell in that list, but you get the idea ;)

Tauguy628
2017-04-05, 09:04 PM
Just off the top of my head, I would say counterspell and aura of vitality as they are both extremely powerful spells that will help fill gaps in what you cannot do (healing and counterspelling). As you mentioned, at least one AOE spell would be useful, but I am not sure of a good one right now(afb). Have fun with your campaign.

BiPolar
2017-04-05, 09:10 PM
Just off the top of my head, I would say counterspell and aura of vitality as they are both extremely powerful spells that will help fill gaps in what you cannot do (healing and counterspelling). As you mentioned, at least one AOE spell would be useful, but I am not sure of a good one right now(afb). Have fun with your campaign.

Normally counterspell is my goto suggestion, but a campaign entirely on water without having waterwalk seems like a bad idea :) and then it's counterspell vs fireball...and fireball will be used MUCH more often.

Specter
2017-04-05, 09:42 PM
The 'can't go wrong' suggestions for Magical Secrets:

- Counterspell
- Fireball (worst thing on the sea is fire)
- Fly
- Conjure Volley (wider area than Fireball)
- Circle of Power

But pick some water spells too, as they said.

Dudewithknives
2017-04-05, 10:10 PM
Hunger of Hadar is great.

40 ft diameter of blindness and auto damage in the area and an added extra save so some more damage.

In a 40 ft diameter column can cover quite a bit of a ship.

Only 3rd level too and no reason to upcast.

Citan
2017-04-06, 05:43 AM

Well, on top of my head, the two spells I'd pick for lvl 10 Magic Secrets would be Control Water (so you can even prevent enemy ships from closing in by creating whirlpools) and Circle of Power (30 feet range should be plenty enough to help everyone on your ship against nasty spells).

Other picks probably Counterspell (you never know) and either Slow or Conjure Animals.
Yeah, all are concentration spells so it's tough, but all are great too. ;)
Or, for the "adventuring part", Goodberry: at least your whole team will have no fear of dying from malnutrition.

On your own spells, the obvious pick would be Glyph of Warding so you can inscribe buff spells at strategic places in the ship (then take either Haste or Bless or whatever else with Magic Secrets).

Also, I would suggest, if your DM is nice, to ask if you can start with Ritual Caster (Wizard) taken "early" so you know most rituals up to level 3 ones? Many interesting things.
You could prepare a Leomund's Tiny Hut as soon as you see danger, or even keep one active always. ;)
Your owl/eagle familiar (Find Familiar) could endlessly scout the sky to alert to any danger, either weather or enemies.
Unseen's Servant could help with the chores or ship manoeuver.
Comprehend Languages would allow you to communicate with everyone wherever you go.
Alarm would help you keep the ship secure, from spys as well as from mutiny (people trying to break into food storage because you are low on provisions, someone trying to stir up a riot by stealing weapons)
Water Breathing would ensure noone drowns if they fall into water.
And when/if you reach 11th level, a single level of Life Cleric will make you golden ("Life Goodberry", "Purify Food and Drink" otherwise, "Speak with Animals" to use maritime creatures for info/scouting).

BiPolar
2017-04-06, 07:15 AM
On your own spells, the obvious pick would be Glyph of Warding so you can inscribe buff spells at strategic places in the ship (then take either Haste or Bless or whatever else with Magic Secrets).

You have awesome ideas here, but that glyph of warding is my favorite!

Slayn82
2017-04-06, 07:34 AM
While Conjure Volley seems very remarkable, and thematic, it has only a medium range, and you can have your own crew to shoot arrows at the enemy. My recommendation is Insect Plague, a level 5 Druid spell. 300 feet range, can last up to 10 minutes. 4d10 damage per round, half on con save, in a 20 foot radius sphere, coupled with causing light obscuring and difficult terrain. Against any stationary target, it's murder, and those locusts can chew the crew, ropes and sails, making most other ships stop.

Call lighting, while limited to outdoors, and medium range, can get a damage increase from being used under a natural storm. Decent damage, and offers a nice, tactical fire support. Both Call lighting and Insect Plague can get stronger when cast at higher levels too.

I consider Insect Plague as Machine Gun area cover, and Call lighting as artillery's mortar close support. Shatter is hand grenades, and Stinking Cloud is smoke bomb. Fireball is a RPG, and Faerie Fire is a "everyone shoot this guy" target order, specially for your crew to support you from extreme longbow range. Blindness or Pyrotechnics provides flashbangs.

Major image is quite decent to provide distractions, making the enemy shoot or move to the wrong side in an ambush. Or to make your giant head float in the air and tell people to f**k off. Minor illusion also makes some quite high volume, if you need to talk at distance.

Citan
2017-04-06, 09:04 AM
You have awesome ideas here, but that glyph of warding is my favorite!
Yea, one of my usual favorite tricks is putting Fireball traps...
But, I really don't know why, I thought maybe it was not the best idea on a *ship*... :smallbiggrin:

Unless of course, you were in fact a traitorous Chaotic Evil Bard that just wanted a chance to steal the captain's hidden relic and treasures. So you just tagged along with the party, deceiving them while you put several Glyphs during one or several days: "please don't step on this unless I tell you so, I'd hate wasting hours of preparation on a good buff just because you move aimlessly" (or just place it on an object people won't usually take).
Then when all is ready, sneaking into the room (Expertise), opening the chest (Expertise, or maybe ritual Silence + Knock or Dispel Magic), before sending all witnesses to sea floor by making people go trigger Fireball Glyphs (preferably put in the depths of the ship, or near cannon powder) thanks to Charm Person or (Mass) Suggestion...
Finally watching everyone yell in panic or making the choice of their life (or rather their death) between fire and sharks while you Fly away laughing.

What?
No, I'm not a psychopath. I just love a job well done. XD

Slayn82
2017-04-06, 09:26 AM
Since the glyph of warding trap is static, spirit guardians seems quite useful. Long duration, large AOE damage, discrimination between allies and enemy (have the spirits attack those without your crew insignia). I can picture a bunch of ghostly pirates and spirits of the sea appearing to fight intruders.

Citan
2017-04-06, 09:43 AM
Since the glyph of warding trap is static, spirit guardians seems quite useful. Long duration, large AOE damage, discrimination between allies and enemy (have the spirits attack those without your crew insignia). I can picture a bunch of ghostly pirates and spirits of the sea appearing to fight intruders.

"Spell must target a single creature or an area". Don't think that spells with "Self" target are allowed by RAW.

BiPolar
2017-04-06, 12:12 PM
Before we get too far down the line withbthe glyph of warding idea, I'd recommend he talk to his dm if it's allowed. The glyph isn't supposed to move from its location. The location is static in the ship, but not to the earth. I'm not sure it's allowed (would you allow a glyph of warding on a wagon? On a box that's on tensers disk? On a horse?)

If. The dm does allow it, it's awesome but also pretty overpowered. You'd have buff/damage glyphs all over. Every day not spent fighting is a day of glyphs made. That's kinda nuts and a cheap way to get a lot of buffs at no concentration cost

Citan
2017-04-06, 12:54 PM
Before we get too far down the line withbthe glyph of warding idea, I'd recommend he talk to his dm if it's allowed. The glyph isn't supposed to move from its location. The location is static in the ship, but not to the earth. I'm not sure it's allowed (would you allow a glyph of warding on a wagon? On a box that's on tensers disk? On a horse?)

If. The dm does allow it, it's awesome but also pretty overpowered. You'd have buff/damage glyphs all over. Every day not spent fighting is a day of glyphs made. That's kinda nuts and a cheap way to get a lot of buffs at no concentration cost

Yeah, you are right, I should have raised the flag myself.
Although, honestly, as a DM I would probably allow it just to see how a mess it would be (especially if you *slightly* adapt your tactics in case your players really abuse it, like having a spy detect just a few random Glyphs and exploit them to buff his allies or create a diversion).

Also as far as flag goes, I faintly remember about a ruling being made for buffing Glyphs, but I don't remember which way it went (per RAW, you have that small line at the beginning of the spell "glyph that harms other creatures" which would strongly hint as preventing any buffs) so there is that too that may be in DM houserule domain.

With a reasonable group of players though, should be fine both ways.