PDA

View Full Version : Most Thematic Artificer Item?

Garresh
2017-04-05, 09:37 PM
So I'm rolling up a 5th level artificer for a campaign in about a week, and because I'm fifth level my DM is alllowing me one uncommon magic item of my choice. I'm not too worried about power or optimization. Rather, I'm looking for the most thematic item. My DM is totally okay with refluffing things, so I'm looking for what item can be refluffed to feel most like an artificer.

So far, the two ideas I'm torn between are a wand of web refluffed as a net-grenade launcher, or winged boots refluffed as a linked set of mechanical wings on both the armor and the boots, with steam tubing running between them. I'm leaning towards the net grenades because I'm an alchemist, so weird concoctions seem like a pretty good match. Also, not sure how relevant it is, but I also have the healer feat with the heals refluffed as special coagulant foam which when poured/sprayed on wounds creates an instant seal to stop blood loss.

So, anyone got any cool ideas?

NecroDancer
2017-04-05, 11:00 PM
Maybe slippers of spider climbing? The artificer just clicks their heels and the shoes become the gloves from mission impossible.

Or an immovable rod. Their is no reason why an artifcerer wouldn't have an immovable rod.

Google of night are basically night vision googles (complete with green glow).

A wand of magic Missiles could be re-fluffed as a laser gun.

The bag of tricks would go well with an artificer's alchemy bag.

A helm of telepathy could be a communication device that lets you potentially "hack" someone's brain.

A robe of useful items is also oozes artificer flavor but I have a bias against items that lose their powers after a certain amount of time.

Arkhios
2017-04-06, 12:23 AM
Universal Solvent? (I'm AFB, so I'm not certain if that's uncommon)

Potato_Priest
2017-04-06, 12:49 AM
Hmmm. Perhaps an alchemy jug? I'm also not certain if that's uncommon, but it's a great item for an artificer, and quite thematic, particularly if you plan to be an alchemist artificer.

laserswords
2017-04-06, 12:58 AM
I love items that do literally nothing, but affect the entire world in a massive way. How about an orb that can make the moon vanish, or a wand that allows you to rearrange the stars in the sky? A button that changes the color of the ocean? A set of goggles that show ghosts of small reptiles? Like, you can showcase some pretty serious power that's, well, not gonna provide you with much benefit but will get you TONS of flavor.

Zanthy1
2017-04-06, 10:40 AM
Maybe slippers of spider climbing? The artificer just clicks their heels and the shoes become the gloves from mission impossible.

Or an immovable rod. Their is no reason why an artifcerer wouldn't have an immovable rod.

Google of night are basically night vision googles (complete with green glow).

A wand of magic Missiles could be re-fluffed as a laser gun.

The bag of tricks would go well with an artificer's alchemy bag.

A helm of telepathy could be a communication device that lets you potentially "hack" someone's brain.

A robe of useful items is also oozes artificer flavor but I have a bias against items that lose their powers after a certain amount of time.

I love the magic missile laser gun

Jobogz
2017-04-06, 12:23 PM

I agree, which is why I checked with my DM. He's usually pretty chill and he agreed that if I was able to make it in the first place it makes sense that I would be able to create new patches to replace used ones with a little time and effort (maybe hunting down some magic threads or such as material). It's such a fun item and does mesh with the Artificer really well.

8wGremlin
2017-04-06, 02:32 PM
I agree, which is why I checked with my DM. He's usually pretty chill and he agreed that if I was able to make it in the first place it makes sense that I would be able to create new patches to replace used ones with a little time and effort (maybe hunting down some magic threads or such as material). It's such a fun item and does mesh with the Artificer really well.

Ask for it to be a utility/tool belt.
Full of pouches, boxes, and clips with things hanging off it.

Geeknamese
2017-04-08, 03:12 AM
Ask if your DM would let you "make" a tiny Clockwork Heart which in effect allows you to cast Find Familiar once per day. The familiar instead of normal rules gains the construct type and is immune to poison and the poison condition. You basically create a clockwork owl or what have you.

Arkhios
2017-04-08, 03:51 AM
Ask if your DM would let you "make" a tiny Clockwork Heart which in effect allows you to cast Find Familiar once per day. The familiar instead of normal rules gains the construct type and is immune to poison and the poison condition. You basically create a clockwork owl or what have you.

This is actually very good idea, even though the Artificer later (at 6th level) gets the Homunculus or whatever it is. (Maybe it could be improved version of the familiar, or just separate)

Anderlith
2017-04-08, 04:34 PM
Are you a magicpunk Artificer or a steampunk artificer?