PDA

View Full Version : UA: Hand of Radiance

Ugganaut
2017-04-05, 10:54 PM
Does Potent Spellcasting apply to all targets of Hand of Radiance? If so, that seems very strong.

I do like the spell, just not the name. I liked it as the ranged multi-target low damage spell I used to use with my Invoker. I'd rather they changed the name to Divine Burst or something.
Was thinking for Hand of Radiance, something like:
"You outstretch your hand in front of you, and radiant beams of light shoot out from your finger tips. You make a ranged spell attack at one or two creatures you can see in a 60 foot cone. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 radiant damage. You can target an additional creature in the cone when you reach 5th level (3), 11th level (4), and 17th level (5)."
But that would have a similar issue with Potent Spellcasting if I'm reading it right.

LudicSavant
2017-04-05, 11:00 PM
Does Potent Spellcasting apply to all targets of Hand of Radiance? If so, that seems very strong. Yes and yes.

It's basically a slightly better version of what Arcana Clerics have been doing with Sword Burst, except that you don't need to be an Arcana Cleric to do it.

Ugganaut
2017-04-05, 11:14 PM
Thanks, was hoping I'd missed something.
I like that they had the foresight to put "cleric cantrips" in Potent, but wish they'd also put "damage rolls" instead of just damage. That way you can do multi-target spells using a static number(like spellcasting mod) and things like Potent don't make it OP.
I'd say that makes my suggestion too strong. Maybe reduce to target area to a 30ft cube(Range: Self).

Maybe if their version was 1d4 instead of 1d6?
It can still be strong, but how often is the cleric surrounded by more than a couple enemies. If it's a melee cleric, like War domain, then you'd probably be using your weapon. Also if you're putting yourself in that sort of trouble(2+ adj enemies), you might need some at-will oomph.

Coidzor
2017-04-06, 12:30 AM
Thanks, was hoping I'd missed something.
I like that they had the foresight to put "cleric cantrips" in Potent, but wish they'd also put "damage rolls" instead of just damage. That way you can do multi-target spells using a static number(like spellcasting mod) and things like Potent don't make it OP.
I'd say that makes my suggestion too strong. Maybe reduce to target area to a 30ft cube(Range: Self).

Even in such a case, it wouldn't be OP. It'd be a weaker, grouped version of Eldritch Blast, but it'd be better against a number of forms of undead like revenants and vampire spawn.

Ugganaut
2017-04-06, 01:12 AM
Even in such a case, it wouldn't be OP. It'd be a weaker, grouped version of Eldritch Blast, but it'd be better against a number of forms of undead like revenants and vampire spawn.

I'm more comparing it to what a cleric current has, which with this UA includes Hand of Radiance(their version) and Toll the Dead. I think Toll the Dead is too much, d12 on a very easily attained condition makes it stronger than Fire Bolt. In my opinion, cleric cantrips shouldn't be out damaging the arcane cantrips.
Even as is, Hand of Radiance(their version) could regularly target 2 creatures, making it put out more damage than Sacred Flame(even more with Potent), but has the downside of having to be in melee range.
Hand of Radiance(my version), even if it was only 30ft cube, could get more than 2 creatures on a regular enough basis, without the need to be in melee. The straight 1d4 damage might not be an issue, but with Potent I think it tips over, or at least borderline, OP. My DM might allow something like that, because he's more worried about big burst damage on single targets ruining big boss fights, not little bits of damage on hordes.
I guess I could write something like "Potent Spellcasting only works on one target", and then revert it to the 60ft cone idea, but that seems sloppy. The idea of the 4e Hand of Radiance was small damage but targets could be in a wide area. I didn't like the "range 10" in that version, because you could have targets in front and behind - of the radiant beams coming out of one hand.

I'm not actually trying to homebrew this, I just want to give good feedback and suggestions in the UA. I don't like saying "thats ****" unless I can give good reasons and alternative suggestions or fixes. I think Toll the Dead just needs to be d10 instead of d12, if its ok in the class balance to have a divine cantrip equal the damage of an arcane cantrip.

DracoKnight
2017-04-06, 01:23 AM
Toll the dead is an arcane spell too...it's on the Warlock list, unless I'm mistaken.

Ugganaut
2017-04-06, 02:07 AM
Toll the dead is an arcane spell too...it's on the Warlock list, unless I'm mistaken.
You're right, missed that. I still think it's too strong, outdoing Fire Bolt and Eldritch Blast. Even if it was d8/d10, it would still be good as its necrotic, so fits different builds/themes.

Coidzor
2017-04-06, 02:36 AM

Cleric, Warlock, and Wizard.

if its ok in the class balance to have a divine cantrip equal the damage of an arcane cantrip.

It's not going to be the end of the world or unbalance the game for a divine cantrip to be a worthwhile damage-dealer.

Ugganaut
2017-04-06, 03:38 AM
It's not going to be the end of the world or unbalance the game for a divine cantrip to be a worthwhile damage-dealer.
Yeah I tend to agree, it won't outshine a rogue or fighter, I'd rather it didn't outshine arcane - although equal in this regard is fine by me :)