PDA

View Full Version : Do anyone own a golfball?

Zeta Kai
2007-07-28, 10:02 AM
Back in 2E, I used to play with a pretty hardcore group, & the DM had a 100-sided die that we would use for any d% roll. Nowadays, over 10 years later, I'm having a nostalgic, wistful desire to recapture the spirit of my youthful adventures. I've dusted off old adventures, resurrected long-forgotten characters, & even reconnected with old players.

But that golfball-looking die is long gone, as is the DM who owned it. I know I could order one, or buy one at the dwindling number of game shops in town, so I'm not heart broken.

What I want to know is: Who here has played with them? Who owns ones? Do you still use it? Or do you only use 2 d10's? If so, then why?

I use d10's, but I always suspect that I get more randomness from the ole d100.

skywalker
2007-07-28, 11:43 AM
Several studies have been done and shown that the 2d10 method actually produces more random results than the d100. Something about the weights in the zocchi ball, or so I've heard. Plus it takes forever to stop.

In any case, that is probably why most people just use 2d10. Well made d10s show all sides equally. Supposedly with d100s this is not the case.

I use 2d10.

Darrin
2007-07-28, 11:50 AM
What I want to know is: Who here has played with them? Who owns ones? Do you still use it? Or do you only use 2 d10's? If so, then why?

Lou Zocchi still goes to Gencon and Origins, so look for the Gamescience booth and you can find them there.

Online, Advancing Hordes and Gamestation.net both carry all of the Gamescience dice:

http://www.advancinghordes.com/
http://gamestation.net/category/1003/

While you're there, you'll want to pick up the d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, d34, and d50.

nerulean
2007-07-28, 11:59 AM
The real problem with a golfball is that you need a couple of miles of free table to roll it, and the DM will not thank you if you if you destroy her carefully arranged kobold army with a to-scale rolling boulder.

horseboy
2007-07-28, 03:16 PM
The real problem with a golfball is that you need a couple of miles of free table to roll it, and the DM will not thank you if you if you destroy her carefully arranged kobold army with a to-scale rolling boulder.

Too right. Early in my Rolemaster carrier I showed up with one and I got brained for it. Then it just became a thing we did when we got mad at the GM. Then, after a series of moves and misadventures, it disappeared on me. I think it eloped with my d30. That went missing about the same time.